It was founded in 1879 on Mill Street. In 1995 that church building had to be demolished to make space for a new road, and they moved a short distance to Grey Mare Lane.
The parish is an offshoot from St. Anne's, Ancoats. Canon Liptrott acquired a site in 1877 upon which to build a school-chapel. This was opened in 1879. The mission became independent in 1880. Fr. William Sassen, a Dutch priest, served the mission for nearly 35 years. A new church was opened in 1884. The parish grew rapidly in numbers and largely through Fr. Sassen's efforts, St. Vincent's, Openshaw, and St. Willibrord's, Clayton, were developed into new parishes. Fr. W. Moran and Fr. Prendergast served here for a time, but for many years the parish priest has been Fr. Joseph Fitzgerald.
Taken from 'Salford Diocese and its Catholic past', a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.
St. Brigid's Parish Key Dates |
---|
14th November,1879: |
Foundation of the Parish by Fr. Sassen. |
18th May, 1884: |
First Church opened. |
3rd March, 1901: |
Second Church opened by Bishop Bilsborrow. |
8th December,1964: |
Reconsecration of the Second Church. |
16th October, 1971: |
Parish Hall opened. |
30th June,1979: |
Centenary Celebration. |
20th August,1995: |
Last Mass celebrated in Second Church. |
27th August, 1995: |
First Mass to be celebrated in Third Church building, the newly converted Parish Hall. |
Parish Priests |
---|
Fr. William Sassen |
Nov 1879 - May 1913 |
Fr. William Moran |
May 1913 - Jun 1915 |
Fr. Patrick Prendergast |
Jun 1915 - May 1922 |
Fr. Joseph Edward Fitzgerald |
May 1922 - Nov 1964 |
Fr. Michael Cronin |
Dec 1964 - Apr 1990 |
Fr. William Martin |
May 1990 - July 1995 |