It was founded in 1644 with meetings held in the Priory. A Meeting House was built in Middlegate Street in 1673 for the Congregational Church. New Meeting House built in Gaol Street in 1733 (demolished 1869). It closed in 1845. Congregation was now Unitarian and moved to a new building built to replace 1673 one. For details after 1845 see "Old Meeting Unitarian Church" page.
See Great Yarmouth Unitarians under history for more information.
Unitarians believe in the Unity or unipersonality of God, as opposed to the doctrine of the Trinity - hence the name 'Unitarian'. Unitarianism only became legal in 1813 but was particularly influential in the 19th century.