Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Norfolk: Gaywood
hide
Hide
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
GAYWOOD is a considerable village, including Highgate, though a portion has lately been incorporated with the borough of Lynn, 1 mile E. of Lynn, in Freebridge Lynn union, hundred, and petty sessional division, Lynn county court and bankruptcy district, Lynn polling district of West Norfolk, Freebridge Lynn rural deanery, and Norfolk [sic] archdeaconry. The Hospital of St. Mary Magdalene - described with Lynn, to which it belongs - stands in this parish.
The parish of Gaywood has increased its population since the year 1821, from 474 to 805, and contains 2335 acres of land, of which nearly 1400 acres belong to Richard Bagge, Esq., the lord of the manor. Sir W.H. Ffolkes, Bart., and W. Birch, Esq., have also estates here. The rateable value is £5455. The common, about 500 acres, was enclosed in 1808. A great part of the soil is in grass, and a river runs through the vale on the north side of the parish, from the springs of Grimstone, Reffly, &c., to the water-works at Lynn. Two fairs were held here annually, on June 22 and October 17, the former for stock, and the latter for horses.
In the reign of Henry II., the Bishop of Norwich held Gaywood and Lynn in capite, and would not suffer the king's bailiffs or coroners to enter the lordship, where he had officers of his own, a gallows, assize of bread and beer, and other royalties. Bishop Grey built a palace here on the site now occupied by Gaywood hall, the seat of R. Bagge, Esq., nearly half a mile south of the village.
About one mile to the north is the wood and chalybeate spring of Reffly, belonging to Sir W.H. Ffolkes, Bart., but appropriated by the first baronet, as a place of resort for the people of Lynn, whom he long represented in Parliament. Reffly Spring is a fine rural fountain, over-canopied with foliage, and having a handsome obelisk rising from its centre. Round it are seats, and at a short distance is an elegant octagonal temple, built and supported by subscription, at the head of a verdant lawn encompassed by umbrageous trees and shrubs.
The CHURCH (St. Faith) is a plain cemented building, comprising nave, chancel, transepts, north porch, and brick tower with three bells. It is all of the Decorated period, except a bold Norman arch with the zigzag ornament, now forming the entrance to the porch. The rectory, valued in the King's Book at £5 13s. 4d., and now at £633, is in the gift of Richard Bagge, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. Richard Ambrose Whalley, M.A., non-resident. The rectory house is occupied by the curate. The chapel of ease, at Highgate (St. Margaret), was built in 1879, at a cost of £1700, but was not consecrated until 1881. There are 250 sittings, of pitch pine.
The NATIONAL SCHOOLS were built in 1854-5, at a cost of £500, and are attended by about 140 children. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel at Highgate, and the Wesleyans have a chapel in the village. A SCHOOL BOARD was formed in 1875. A handsome school was erected in 1877, near Salter's road, at a cost of £1600, and the National school is held by the Board at a nominal rent. The members are Richard Bagge, Esq., J.P. and D.L. (chairman), Alfred Dodman, William Warnes, Thomas E. Bagge, Esq., and Charles Coldham, Esq.
At the enclosure, an allotment of 21A. 2R. 7P. was awarded to the poor parishioners, and it is now let in 23 lots to labouring men, at rents amounting to about £10, which is distributed in coals. The yearly sum of £2, left by Dr. Thomas Thurlyn, in 1708, to provide coats for three poor men, is paid by the Corporation of Lynn. The Church estate comprises a house, seven cottages with gardens, and 3A. 1R. 36P. of land, the whole producing about £70 a year.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Henry D. Middleton's. Letters arrive at 5.40 a.m., and are despatched at 7.10 p.m., viâ King's Lynn, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office.
Adams Matthew gamekeeper to Sir W.H.B. Ffolkes, Wootton gap Atmore Richard farmer, Victoria pl Bagge Richard, Esq., J.P., D.L. Gaywood hall Bagge Capt. Richard Salisbury Gaywood hall Banyard Thomas market gardener Barnard James saddler Barnes Mrs Charlotte Denmark house Beal Robert market gardener Butcher William police constable Butler John tailor Carter Elijah blksmith, Wootton gap Chesson Henry saddler Coldham Mr Charles Cooper Thomas vict. The Cock Crow Daniel engineer and machinist Dewing Edward corn miller Eglington John Richard bootmaker, grocer, & hardware dlr. Victoria pl Emmerson Mr Edward Morris Engledow Samuel vict. White Horse Farrow Edward victualler, Ship Inn Fayers Thomas beerhse. Victoria pl Frost Charles Alfred baker Gray Rev. Robert curate in charge, The Rectory Harbour James gardener, Salter's rd Hudson William milkman Jex John blacksmith Middleton Hy. David grcr. & postmstr Nelson Jas. wheelwright, Wootton gap Osborne R. farm bailiff Porriman Mrs Eliza Victoria place Price Mrs Ann Victoria place Raines Mrs Ruth Hannah shopkeeper Richardson Frnk. Hubert clk. Rose ctge Ringwood James vict. White Swan, and farmer Rippingill John beerhs. & mkt. grdnr Santy Edmund farmer and horse dlr. Folly farm Savory Albert commercial traveller Sharpley Miss Clara Victoria place Skerrey James farmer Squirrell Mr Hy. Freeman The Villa, Salter's road Stebbon Robert victualler, New Inn, Wootton gap Turnbull Jacob Armstrong farm bailiff Vitty Anthony Board schoolmaster Woods William farmer, and registrar of births and deaths, Field house
See also the Gaywood parish page.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
Copyright © Pat Newby.
December 2008