Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Uffington
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
hide
Hide
“UFFINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven, county Lincoln, 2 miles E. of Stamford, its post town, and 6 from Market Deeping. It is a station on the Midland railway. The village is situated on the river Welland. At Newstead was an Austin canonry, founded by Will. de Albini, in the reign of King John, and valued at the Dissolution at £42. Stone is quarried here. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lincoln, value £837. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, has some ancient stained glass. The parochial charities produce about £70 per annum, of which £20 go to Earl Lindsay's school, and £40 to Warrington's almshouses for 10 women."
"CASEWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Uffington, in the wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven, in the county of Lincoln, 4 miles to the E. of Stamford. It is situated near the Leicester and Peterborough branch of the Midland railway."
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
- The parish was in the Barnack sub-district of the Stamford Registration District.
- Check our 1901 Partial Census Extract for the parish.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
The Lincolnshire Family History Society has published surname indexes on fiche or in booklet form for each of these census years under the title "Stamford". These are available by credit card from the Federation of Family History Societies Bookstore with worldwide shipping. Please note that these are SURNAME indexes only, and do not show first names, age or relationships.
Census
YearLDS Film/Fiche No. Piece No. LFHS Surname Index 1841 0438759 H.O. 107 / 623 Fiche 1851 0087722 H.O. 107 / 2094 Booklet 1861 0542952 R.G. 9 / 2314 Fiche 1871 0839343 R.G. 10 / 3310 Booklet or Fiche 1881 1341762 R.G. 11 / 319x 1891 6097664, 3 fiche R.G. 12 / 2554 Booklet or Fiche 1901 R.G. 13 / 3022
- A priory of Austin Canons was founded here at Newstead in the reign of Henry III. It was dedicated to Saint Leonard.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael and All Angels. The tower bears the date 1639.
- The church was restored in 1866.
- The church seats 400.
- There is a photograph of St. Michael's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- Here is a photo of St. Michael's and All Angels Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

- Parish registers exist from 1675, but I.G.I. entries go back to 1562.
- The Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City has the parish register on microfilm covering 1799 to 1863 and the Bishop's Transcript from 1562 to 1858 on another microfilm. Parish register printouts are also available on microfilm from the FHL.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Aveland and Ness Deanery to make your search easier.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Barnack sub-district of the Stamford Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.
Uffington is both a village and parish which lies 90 miles north of London and just over two miles east of Stamford on the A16 trunk road. The parish is bounded on the south by Northamptonshire and on the east by Tallington parish. The River Welland flows eastward along the parish's southern border. The parish covers about 3,240 acres and includes the hamlet of Casewick.
If you are planning a visit:
- Check out local bus service from Stamford at the Carlberry Bus Service site for schedules and routes.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CASEWICK, a hamlet in the parish of Uffington, in the wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven, in the county of Lincoln, 4 miles to the E. of Stamford. It is situated near the Leicester and Peterborough branch of the Midland railway."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Uffington to another place.
- Casewick Hall was a large mansion, the residence, in 1841, of Sir John TROLLOPE, one of whose ancestors was created a baronet in 1641.
- Uffington Hall is on the north bank of the Welland River. It was the seat of George Augustus Frederick Albemarle BERTIE, Earl of Lindsey. In 1626, Robert BERTIE was created the Earl of Lindsey. Erected in 1830, it was destroyed by fire in December, 1904.
- Richard CROFT also has a photograph of the Uffington House gates on Geo-graph, taken in 2008.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF062078 (Lat/Lon: 52.6578, -0.431557), Uffington which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The name Uffington is from the Old English Uffa+ing+tun, or "Uffa's estate". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Uffintone.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Ness Wapentake in the South Kesteven district in the parts of Kesteven.
- On 1 April, 1931, the Civil Parish lost about 920 acres. It was reduced by 583 acres to enlarge Baston Civil Parish, 189 acres to enlarge Langtoft Civil Parish and 155 acres to enlarge Market Deeping Civil Parish. All these other parishes were in the Bourne Registration District.
- For today's district governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Stamford Poor Law Union.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bourne petty session hearings>.
Oddly, 100 years after 1891, the population count is unchanged!
Year Inhabitants 1801 456 1831 481 1841 539 1871 441 1881 462 1891 439 1901 425 1911 419 1921 357 1991 439
- A Free School was founded here in 1814 by the Earl of Lindsey.
- See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.