Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Tallington
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
“TALLINGTON, a parish in the wapentake of Ness, parts of Kesteven, county Lincoln, 4 miles E. of Stamford, its post town, and 3 S.W. of Market-Deeping. It is a station on the Great Northern railway. The village is situated on the river Welland, and most of the houses have thatched roofs. A canal from Stamford to Boston and the river Welland has been cut through the southern portion of the parish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln, value £200. The church, dedicated to St. Lawrence, is an ancient edifice with tower and three bells. The parochial charities produce about £98 per annum, A free school was erected in 1841 for both sexes, the expense being defrayed by voluntary contributions. The Earl of Lindsey is lord of the manor."
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
- The parish was in the Barnack sub-district of the Stamford Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
The Lincolnshire Family History Society has published surname indexes on fiche or in booklet form for each of these census years under the title "Stamford". These are available by credit card from the Federation of Family History Societies Bookstore with worldwide shipping. Please note that these are SURNAME indexes only, and do not show first names, age or relationships.
Census Year | LDS Film/Fiche No. | Piece No. | LFHS Surname Index |
---|---|---|---|
1841 | 0438759 | H.O. 107 / 623 | Fiche |
1851 | 0087722 | H.O. 107 / 2094 | Booklet |
1861 | 0542952 | R.G. 9 / 231x | Fiche |
1871 | 0839343 | R.G. 10 / 3310 | Booklet or Fiche |
1881 | 1341762 | R.G. 11 / 319x | |
1891 | 6097664, 3 fiche | R.G. 12 / 2554 | Booklet or Fiche |
Main Road, Tallington, Congregationalist |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Lawrence.
- The original church here was erected in the 12th century.
- The church tower was added in the 14th century.
- The church was restored in 1879.
- The church spire was struck by lightening on 13 August 1752 and destroyed.
- The church seats 145.
- There is a photograph of St. Lawrence's Church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- Richard HUMPHREY has a photogarph of Tallington's Church on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2014.
- Here is a photo of Saint Lawrence Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Lawrence.
- Parish registers exist from 1690, but Bishop's transcripts go back to 1562.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a burial index for the Aveland and Ness Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Congregationalists had a chapel built here in 1870, but it closed in 1913. For more on researching this chapel's records, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Barnack sub-district of the Stamford Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.
Tallington is both a village and parish 90 miles north of London and it lies between Stamford and Market Deeping on the A16 trunk road, only 3.5 miles southwest of Market Deeping. The parish is bounded on the west side by Uffington parish and on the east by West Deeping parish. Northamptonshire lies to the south, across the River Welland.
The village sits on the north bank of the River Welling. If you are planning a visit:
- Tallington has an Old Glory Steam Festival each May, featuring a number of old traction steam engines in working condition. The main event is a Steam Tractor Pull! The event was cancelled in 2001 due to the outbreak of Foot and Mouth Disease.
- Tallington also has a dry ski slope to keep the skiing enthusiast in shape.
- Tallington is on the A16 between Stamford and Market Deeping.
- Check out local bus service from Stamford at the Carlberry Bus Service site for schedules and routes.
- Tallington Railway Station closed for passenger service in 1959 however the goods yard is still in use for freight.
- The Tallington Lakes in the noirth of the parish are popular with tourists.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tallington to another place.
- Archeaologists have investigated a possible Neolithic settlement in Tallington parish. See "Excavations in Peterborough and the Lower Welland Valley 1960-69", by W.G. Simpson, D. Gurney, J. Neve and F. Pryor.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF093081 (Lat/Lon: 52.659778, -0.385895), Tallington which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
Michael PECK provides us with: "There are 2 memorials, one general and one a named individual, all memorials and the Roll of Honour relate to WW1" both of which are in St. Lawrence Church.
General Memorial - In memory of the men of the parish of Tallington who gave their lives in the Great war 1914 - 1918.
- Lieut Oswald Carr Fiennes Elliott 10th Batt The Gordon Highlanders
- Corporal Donald Howard King 1/4th Batt Northamptonshire Regt
- Lce Cpl William Harold Wass 1/1st Lincolnshire Yeomanry
- Private Robert French 3rd Batt Lincolnshire Regt
- Private William Robert Gray 1st Batt Middlesex Regt
- Private James Herbert Jarvis 11th Batt Middlesex Regt.
Individual Memorial - Remember before God William Harold Wass who was killed in Palestine on December 3rd 1917 aged 21 years.
Roll of Honour -
- Burgoin Sergt Lawrence
- Burgoin Sergt Reginald
- Cave Private Charles W.
- Dunthorne Shoeing Smith George
- Elliott Private Douglas
- Elliott Lieut John B
- Elliott Lieut Oswald (Killed)
- French Private Robert (Dead)
- Goodliffe Sergt Major Albert
- Goodliffe Private Frank
- Goodliffe Private George
- Goodliffe Private John
- Goodliffe Private James (Prisoner of War)
- Goodliffe Private William
- Gray Private Albert Edward
- Gray Private Walter H
- Gray Private William (Missing)
- Gray Corporal James
- Harrison Private George
- Hillard Private Percy
- Jarvis Private Fred
- Jarvis Private James Herbert
- Mansell Sapper Alec
- Petch Private William
- Pycock Private Robert
- Skerritt Sergt Arthur
- Taylor Milt Ord Harry
- Taylor 1stAM George
- Taylor Corp Sergt Ralph
- Wass Lance Corpl Willie
- Wilson Shoe Smith Joseph
- Wright Private Cecil
- Wright Private John
For a photograph of the War Memorial plaques and the list of names on them, see the Roll of Honour site.
- The name Tallington is from the Old English Tael+ing+tun, or "Tael's estate". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village is given as Talintune.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- This place was an ancient parish in county Lincoln and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Ness Wapentake in the South Kesteven district and parts of Kesteven in the 19th century.
- On 1 April, 1931, this parish was reduced in size by 233 acres transferred to Baston Civil Parish.
- On 1 April, 1931, this parish was reduced in size by 231 acres transferred to Langtoft Civil Parish.
- For today's local governance, you can contact the Parish Council regarding civic or political matters. Alas, they are NOT staffed to help with family history searches.
- For today's districtl governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bourne petty session hearings.
- The common land was enclosed here in 1813.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Stamford Poor Law Union.
- A school was built here in 1841.
- See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.