Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Bullington
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide














Hide
Hide
Hide
- The parish was in the North East sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The North Lincolnshire Library holds a copy of the parish census returns for 1841 and 1881.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 635 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2363 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3377 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2596 |
- There had been a Priory of Gilbertine monks here, founded by Simon FITZWILLIAM, in the reign of Stephen. At the Dissolution of the Monestaries, it was granted to the Duke of Suffolk. Part of the Priory had been used as a parish church dedicated to St. James. By 1842, only a few fragments of the ruins remained.
- There was no Anglican Church at Bullington. All church records are combined with those of Goltho.
- The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Horncastle Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a small chapel here in 1878. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the North East sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Bullington was an ancient parish about eight miles north-east of Lincoln and two and a half miles west of Wragby. It is now a township of Goltho parish. Goltho parish lies to the east, Rand parish to the north and Newball to the south and west. The parish covered about 750 acres in 1842. Ecclesiastically, the parish was united with Goltho to form one tithe-free parish in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Lincoln. Together, the two parishes covered about 2,540 acres.
The parish is skirted on the north side by the A158 trunk road as it passes between Lincoln and Horncastle. If you are planning a visit:
- Remember, there is no village as such. Bullington was a rural parish and is technically a township.
- Check for bus service from the Linconshire Road Car Company of Lincoln.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bullington to another place.
- In 1842, the sole landowner was Charles HATCHETT of London.
- In 1872, the sole landowner was J. C. HATCHETT.
- In 1882, there were several landowners: John BELTON, William POOL, Thomas HART and others.
- In 1900, the principal landowners were John Thomas TWEED of Lincoln and Abel SMITH of Nottingham. The remainder of the land was held in small freeholds.
- In 1913, the principal landowner was William Fitzwilliam BURTON, Jnr., of Goltho Hall.
- By 1842, there was no trace left of Bullington Hall, other than traces of a foundation. It was the ancestral home of the FITZWILLIAM family.
- Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of Bullington Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2007.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF092780 (Lat/Lon: 53.287282, -0.363064), Bullington which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The name is apparently from the Old English Bulla+inga+ton, meaning "farm enclosure of a man named Bulla".
- White's 1842 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Wm. CAMMACK, Edward FARR, Sar. HALL, Thomas PYCOCK and W. RICHARDSON.
- White's 1872 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Mrs. Charlotte BROCKLESBY, Edward Farr BROCKLESBY, William CAMMACK and Thomas GRESHAM.
- White's 1882 Directory lists the following names in the parish: John BELTON, Reuben FOWLER, Thomas HART, Thomas LONGMATE, William POOL and William TYE.
- Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Harry ALLINGHAM, David FIDDLING, Reuben FOWLER, George LAMB and David WARD.
- Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Edward ATKINM, John BRADLEY, GEORGE BARRON, Mary Ann FOWLER, George LAMB, Alfred MARTIN and David WARD.
- This place was an ancient Chapelry in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- The parish was in the West division of the ancient Wraggoe Wapentake in the West Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- Today's district governance is provided by the West Lindsey District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Wragby petty session hearings on the first Thursday of the month.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Lincoln Poor Law Union.
- The children of Bullington attended school at Langworth in Barlings parish.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.