Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Rand
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
“RAND, a parish in the W. division of Wraggoe wapentake, parts of Lindsey, county Lincoln, 2½ miles N.W. of Wragby, and 3 from the Snelland station on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway. The village is small and wholly agricultural. The parish includes the chapelry of Fulnetby, and is intersected by the road from Lincoln to Horncastle. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lincoln, value £402. The church, dedicated to St. Oswald, has a tower containing two bells. The interior of the church contains monuments of great antiquity. Mrs. Barker is lady of the manor."
"FULNETBY, a chapelry in the parish of Rand, W. division of the hundred of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, county Lincoln, 2 miles N.W. of Wragby, and 9 N.E. of Lincoln."
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
- The parish was in the North East sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
- The North Lincolnshire Library holds copies of the census returns for 1841 and 1881.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 642 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2364 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3377 |
- The Anglican Church is dedicated to Saint Oswald.
- The existing church building dates from the 14th century. It contains monuments to the knightly families of Fulnetby and Harrington. There are indications that a church existed here by 1241, and probably earlier.
- The existing building is thought to be at least the third church built at Rand.
- The church seats 120.
- In ancient times, Fulnetby had a chapel of ease for locals and was the seat of a knightly family of the same name.
- A photograph of St. Oswald's Church is at the Wendy PARKINSON English Church Photographs site.
- Here is a photo of Saint Oswald's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyrights).

- Parish register entries start in 1661 and include Fulnetby, but Bishop's transcripts appear to go back to 1562.
- Parish registers are on file at the Society of Genealogists, covering marriages 1754 - 1837.
- The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Horncastle Deanery to make your search easier.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the North East sub-district of the Lincoln Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July 1837.
Rand is both a village (officially a "township") and a parish about 9 miles north-east of Lincoln and 2 miles west of Wragby. Wragby parish lies to the east, Holton parish to the north and Goltho parish to the south. The parish covered about 2,100 acres in 1913, much more land than allocated under the 1841 boundaries which included only 1,010 acres. The parish includes the hamlet of Fulnetby (or "Fulnery" in some old records), about a mile north-west of Rand township.
Rand township is skirted on the south side by the A158 trunk road as it passes between Lincoln and Horncastle. In White's 1882 Directory, Rand village is described as "scattered houses". If you are planning a visit:
- Take the A158 west out of Wragby and turn north after about two miles. The village is about a half mile of the trunk road.
- The village of Fulnetby is on the B1399, just a mile off the A158.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"FULNETBY, a chapelry in the parish of Rand, W. division of the hundred of Wraggoe, parts of Lindsey, county Lincoln, 2 miles N.W. of Wragby, and 9 N.E. of Lincoln."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Rand to another place.
- In 1842, the chief landowners were Mrs. Amelia BARKER, lady of the manor, Robert CRACROFT, lord of the manor of Fulnetby, Earl BROWNLOW, Capt. CALDECOT, C. HATCHETT and other families.
- In 1872, the chief landowners were Mrs. Amelia BARKER, lady of the manor, Lieut.-Col. W. CRACROFT-AMCOTTS, C. H. CUST, the CALDECOT and other families.
- In 1882, the chief landowners were Mrs. Amelia BARKER, lady of the manor, Lieut.-Col. W. CRACROFT-AMCOTTS, C. H. CUST and Joseph PHILLIPSON.
- In 1900, the chief landowners were the Rev. Richard BURDEN and the Rev. R. S. HUTCHINGS and several smaller owners.
- In 1913, the chief landowners were the Rev. Richard BURDEN and the trustees of Rev. Canon R. S. HUTCHINGS and several smaller owners.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF106790 (Lat/Lon: 53.296311, -0.342121), Rand which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The name derives from the Old English Rand, meaning "(place at) the border or edge". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Rande.
- Fulnetby (or "Fulnery" in some old records) derives from Old Scandinavian full+nautr+by, meaning "village of one who has a full share". It appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book as Fulnedebi.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
- White's 1842 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BENTLEY, BLOW, GLASIER, GLOVER, JACKSON, MACHON, NEWHAM, ROWBOTHAM, WARD and WILSON.
- White's 1872 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BREWER, LLOYD, MACHON, PEEL, SETTERINGTON, WARD and WILSON.
- White's 1882 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BARR, BREWER, BURTON, GILLIATT, KIRK, LLOYD, MACHON, MUSGRAVE, PHILLIPSON and WARD.
- Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ALLIS, HARRISON, KNAPP, LAMING, MUSGRAVE, PAULGER, PHILLIPSON, SPAIN and WARD.
- Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ALLIS, BOWSER, CATLING, KNAPP, LAMING, MOTSON, OSBORNE, SAXELBY and WHITEFOORD.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Wraggoe Wapentake in the West Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- In March, 1887, the "Rand Wood" 1,340 acre portion of this parish was transfered to Fulnetby Civil Parish.
- Today's district governance is provided by the West Lindsey District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Wragby petty session hearings on the first Thursday of every month.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Lincoln Poor Law Union.
- The children of Rand attend school at Wragby.
- The children of Fulnetby attend schools at Langworth or at Holton.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.