Hide

--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---

Hide
hide

Church History information for Hough on the Hill and places above it in the hierarchy

Hough on the Hill

  • The existing Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
     
  • Some parts of the Church of All Saints, particularly the base of the tower, have been dated to Saxon times.
     
  • The church is famous for its Tower with an external stair turret. The church is a Grade I listed structure.
     
  • Richard CROFT has a photograph of the Tower and Turret on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2015.
     
  • Lady Godiva (the Saxon third wife of Siward, Earl of Northumbria, not the Norman one of Coventry) gave the church here to St. Peter of Peterborough around 1050.
     
  • A small priory of Augustine canons was founded here in 1164. It was later seized by Richard II.
     
  • The priory was restored to Cherburgh in Normandy in 1399, but after the suppression of the monasteries, it was granted to Lord RUSSELL in 1541.
     
  • The Church of All Saints contains a coffin-shaped slab preserved from the 14th century with a richly carved foliated cross.
     
  • The church was restored in 1845.
     
  • The church contains monuments to the PAYNE family.
     
  • The church seats about 300.
     
  • A photograph of All Saints is at the Wendy Parkinson English Church Photographs site.
     
  • And there is a photograph of All Saints at the ChurchMouse site.
     
  • For more on the church history, see the Hough Parish web site.
     
  • Here are two photos of All Saints Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
     

 

  • There was a chapel of ease at Brandon.
     
  • There is a photograph of the church at Brandon on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
     
  • Here are two photos of the chapel at Brandon, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):
     

 

UK and Ireland