Hide

--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---

Hide
hide

Church History information for St Thomas, Ardwick, Church of England and places above it in the hierarchy

St Thomas, Ardwick, Church of England

It was founded in 1740. It closed in 1978.

St. Thomas's was built in 1740 on a site given by Samuel Birch, Esq., for the inhabitants of Ardwick and Chorlton Row. It was consecrated on 10 November 1741, being the second new church (after St. Ann's) in the ancient parish of Manchester. It was enlarged in 1777 and 1831 and restored in 1882 and 1961. Though marriages were solemnised from 1741 to 1753 a licence for marriages was only granted in 1837. It was assigned the township of Ardwick as its District by Order in Council, 14 September 1838 (London Gazette 29 Mar. 1839), with a definition of the boundaries by Order in Council, 24 June 1856 (London Gazette, 1 July 1856). Part of the parish was assigned to St. Mark's, Gorton by Order in Council, 26 July 1866 (London Gazette, 27 July 1866). The boundaries with St. Saviour's, Chorlton upon Medlock were altered in 1955 (Order in Council, 1 December, London Gazette, 6 December 1955).

In 1978 the church was closed and the parish became part of the parish of St. Luke the Physician, Longsight (Order in Council 29 September, London Gazette 5 October 1978).

Lancashire

UK and Ireland