St Peter
The Parish Church of St Peter, stands at west end of the village and has walls of stone rubble, earlier in the 20th century the roofs were covered with lead except those of the chancel and porch which were tiled, but during the Second World War the church was damaged by bombs and the old south porch was almost destroyed and the roof was badly damaged. This damage has now been repaired. The north, south and east walls of the Nave are probably of late 12th or early 13th century date, but only reused stones in the chancel arch and inside the tower show detail of that period. In the 14th century the South Aisle was added when the chancel was rebuilt and the West Tower was built circa 1400 which cut off several feet at the end of the nave and destroying part of the western-most arch of the South arcade. The chancel was rebuilt again in the 15th century, and the clearstorey was added to the nave in the 16th century when the south porch was rebuilt for the first time. The whole church was restored in the nineteenth century.
There are three bells, the first one is inscribed 'Sancta Katerina Ora Pro Nobis', the second one 'Sit Nomen Domini Benedictum', both by John Walgrave, these are from the early 15th century; the third was by James Keene in 1631. There is a 17th century chest in the south aisle with three carved panels in front. The 14th century font has an octagonal bowl chamfered at the bottom, with a square stem which is carved with various designs including a Stafford knot on the south side. There is a monument in the chancel on the north wall to Samuel Cranmer, who was a collateral descendant of Thomas Cranmer, Archbishop of Canterbury in 1640, and to Mary (Wood) his second wife. In the south-east window sill of the chancel there is a piscina with a plain circular basin, probably of the 14th century. There is a second one in the south aisle at the east end of the south wall, with a circular basin and having chamfered jambs and a trefoiled head, also of the 14th century. In the south aisle there is a stoup near to the south doorway, formed as a recess with straight-sided pointed head.