Hide

--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---

Hide
hide

Church History information for Lichfield and places above it in the hierarchy

Lichfield

Church of England History
For Anglican church history see individual Parishes

Nonconformist Church History
"The Independent Chapel, in Wade Street, was built in 1812, and is a neat brick building, with a house for the minister, the Rev William Salt.
The Wesleyan Chapel, in Lombard Street, was built in 1814, and the New Connexion Methodist Chapel, in Queen Street, was built in 1833. In George Lane is a small Primitive Methodist Chapel, erected in 1847.

The Catholic Chapel, Holy Cross, at the south end of John Street, is a neat Gothic building of brick, erected in 1802, by the Rev John Kirk DD, who has been priest here for 54 years, and is now assisted by the Rev Joseph Parke. The chapel was enlarged and the tower rebuilt in 1843."

[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]

The transcription of the section for the history of Lichfield Churches and Parishes from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)

The transcription of the section for the history of Lichfield Diocese from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)

Staffordshire

  • "The Old Parish Churches of Staffordshire" by Mike Salter, published by Folly Publications, 1996, ISBN 1-871731-25-8 (2nd Ed) contains descriptions, photographs and plans of many of the old parish churches of the county.
  • "Staffordshire Incumbents and Parochial Records, 1530-1680" by Walter Landor, was published by William Salt Archaeological Society, in "Collections for a History of Staffordshire, Volume 1915."
  • "The Registrations of Dissenting Chapels and Meeting Houses in Staffordshire, 1689-1852" by Barbara Donaldson, was published by The Staffordshire Record Society, in "Collections for a History of Staffordshire, 4th Series, Volume III, 1960."
  • Histories of individual churches may be found on the individual parish pages.
  • Staffordshire Archive Services' Staffordshire Past Track pages include a selection of old photographs, plans and drawings of selected churches in the county.
  • A Listing of the Church Photographs & Images on GENUKI Staffordshire
  • JWB Tomlinson's unpublished PhD Thesis entitled "From Parson to Professional: The Changing Ministry of the Anglican Clergy in Staffordshire, 1830-1960"  examines in great detail the transformation of the parish ministry of the clergy of the Church of England from the gradual abandonment of the parson model to the adoption of the professional model using Staffordshire parishes as a case study.

UK and Ireland