Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Chapels - Penmark
hide
Hide
This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database
This Penmark database compiled by Gareth Hicks
If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references
Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source
(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )
Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available
Sources;
- 1. The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
- 2. Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel, National Library of Wales journal, Vol VIII/4, Winter 1954.
- 3. My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
- 4. Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff hold most extant parish church and non-conformist chapel records, these are listed on their site (click ' history of your family' on main page and scroll down to the end of the next page)
- 5. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 - the Archive CD Books Cd
- 6. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - the Archive CD Books Cd
- 7. Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. UWP, Cardiff, 1976
- 8. Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc
Additional sources
- Slaters Directory for 1880
- The Presbyterian Church of Wales site - the source of some of the CM chapel 'still open in 2006' notes below
Baptist
Baptist chapel, Aberthaw
- Aberddawan Mission Room Baptist chapel, East Aberthaw ST03476679 Built in 1859 (1)
- There is a Baptist chapel at Aberthaw 1895 (5) and 1910 (6)
- Baptist chapel, Aberthaw Rev. Owen Jones (Llancarfan and Aberthaw) Slaters Directory for 1880
- 1821, August 28; Baptist; the dwelling-house of Mary Alice Powell of Aberthaw, schoolmistress, being the property of Robert Jones, esquire, and situated in the village of Aberthaw; the said Mary Alice Powell, Thomas Jones, David Edwards (2)
Rhoose Baptist
- Rhoose Baptist Erected before 1800 Morgan Morgan, Steward, Rhoose 1851 (7)
- 1843, May 11; Protestant (endorsed: Baptist); a dwelling-house situated at Rhoose in the occupation of Thomas Edwards, labourer; Morgan Morgans, farmer, Bassett E. Thomas, Griffith Price (2)
Congregationalist
Independent; the dwelling-house of Thomas Williams situated in the village of Burton
- 1797, February 18; Independent; the dwelling-house of Thomas Williams situated in the village of Burton; John Williams, Thomas Williams, David Richard, David Thomas, Roger Jones, Owen Thomas (2)
Nurston Independent chapel (Salem), Nurston
- Nurston Independent chapel (Salem), Penmark ST05366721 Built in 1820, modified, altered or rebuilt 1868. (1)
- Nurston English Congregational chapel, Nurston Opened in 1820 (3)
- There is a Congregational chapel at Nearstone 1895 (5) and 1910 (6)
- Independent chapel, Penmark Rev William Lewis Slaters Directory for 1880
- Nurston Ind Dacor Robert Peers; Morgan Morgan, Minister 1851 (7)
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (May 2009)
- 1807, May 16; Independent; the dwelling-house of Owen Thomas situated in the village of Nurstone; Thomas Williem, Minister, David Owen, Thomas Raccliff, David Richard, Samuel Humphrey, Owen Thomas, John Humphrey, William Harry (2)
- 1824, April 21; Independent; a dwelling-house, being a part of the estate of John Kymmis Tent, esquire, at Nurston; Thomas Williams, Minister, John Humphrey, Samuel Humphrey, Owain Thomas, Thomas Ratcliff (2)
Methodist
Sardis Calvinistic Methodist chapel- Sardis, Penmark ST0568 Built in 1832 (1)
- Sardis and Aberthaw Tabernacle CM chapels Extant records (4)
- Here [Penmark] is a Welsh Calvinistic chapel 1895 (5) and 1910 (6)
- CM chapel, Penmark Slaters Directory for 1880
- Sardis CM Erected in 1832 Thomas Mathews, Deacon, Fontigary 1851 (7)
- 1827, April 3; Protestant (endorsed: Welsh Methodist); the dwelling-house occupied by Christopher Ballard, shopkeeper, being the property of Robert Jones, esquire; the said Christopher Ballard (2) [right place? - see also Tabernacle entry below]
- 1832, October 5; Protestant; a chapel called Sardis Chapel; Christopher Ballard, shopkeeper (2)
- Extant rcords (8 under Vale of Glamorgan Collection)
Presbyterian church (CM church), Fontygary Rd, Rhoose
- Presbyterian church (CM church), Fontygary Rd, Rhoose ST05846637 Still in use in 1987 (1)
- 1813, November 23; Protestant (endorsed : Welsh Methodist); the dwelling-house occupied by Evan David, husbandman, situated at Rhoose, being the property of Walter Browne of the city of Bristol, esquire, solicitor; the said Evan David (2) [same place?]
- Fontygary Road Rhoose CM chapel Fontygary Road, , Rhws, Dwyrain Morgannwg CF62 3DU - still open in 2006
- Tabernacle chapel, Aberthaw ST0265 (1)
- Sardis and Aberthaw Tabernacle CM chapels Extant records (4)
- 1811, January 24; Methodist; the house of Edward Williams called the Tabernacle situated in Aberthaw; William Thomas, Minister, John David, John Jones, Howel William (2)
- 1813, November 20; Protestant (endorsed: Wesleyan); a building called the Tabernacle situated at Aberthaw; Christopher Ballard of the parish of Llancarvan, husbandman (2)
- Extant records (8 see Vale of Glamorgan Collection)
Other (or unidentified)
Mission church, Aberthaw
- There is a Mission church at Aberthaw 1910 (6)
Jubilee Hall Mission Room, Rhoose
- Erected at the cost of John Cory and used for religious services generally 1910 (6)
- Rhoose Mission church (Chapel of Ease), Church Rd, Rhoose ST06326642 Built in 1908, corrugated Iron....to be demolished and replaced by a new chapel in 1993. (1)
- The church in Rhoose that replaced the Mission Church is in the same place and shape. The hall wa demolished when it became unsafe and replaced with a portacabin as a temporary measure (2003/4)
It is called St Peter's Church. (Contributed 11/2009 by Vicky Grice, member of Porthkerry and Rhoose PPC)
[Last Updated : 13 Nov 2009 - Gareth Hicks]