Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
St Andrews and St Leonards
hide
Hide
hide
Hide

Hide
Hide
Description of the parish in 1856
"The parishes lie on the south bank of the River Eden and are bounded by Leuchars, Kingsbarns, Denino, Cameron, Ceres and Kemback. From the Eden to the city of St Andrews the coast presents a flat, firm, sandy beach so famous in the annals of golfing. On Strathkinness moor and on Nydie Hill, both at the west of the parish, are quarries of excellent freestone, of which most of the houses in St Andrews are built. The city contains 3 principal streets, all intersected by smaller ones, all well paved and lit by gas. The weaving of linen is carried on to a considerable extent for establishments in Newburgh and Dundee. The making of golf balls was long a great branch of industry but is now extinct. A spinning mill was tried, but did not succeed. There is now an extensive steam sawmill near the harbour. Flour mills on a large scale are worked by the Incorporation of Bakers." edited from Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of Scotland published 1856.
Hide
The parishes of St Andrews and St Leonards were united to form a single parish in 1895.
The parish includes Boarhills & Strathkinness.
Hide
St Andrews Library, Church Square, St Andrews, Fife. KY16 9NN. Tel. 01334 659378
The Hay Fleming Reference Library (the library of David Hay Fleming, historian & antiquary, 1849-1931) previously housed here has been transferred to the St Andrews University Library.
St Andrews University Library,Special Collections Department, Special Collections Napier Reading Room, Martyrs Kirk Research Library, North Street, St Andrews, Fife. KY16 9AH. Tel. 01334 467380
In addition to the extensive university library, the Special Collections Department is the archive for local authority and church material in the East Fife area.
- In the former Martyrs Church, open to the general public, but by appointment only, Mon. - Fri. 9.30 - 4.30
- It also has a growing collection of archive material of local families, estates and businesses.
- The Hay Fleming Collection (the library of David Hay Fleming, historian & antiquary, 1849-1931) contains, in addition to family papers, a large collection of material about Scotland in general, and St Andrews in particular.
- The library holds one of the largest and most important collections of historic photography in Scotland containing upwards of 300,000 images. The photography collection is currently being digitised and can be searched online.
There are also a number of museums in St Andrews with varying displays.
The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,
- catalogue entries for maps and plans held by the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh; some maps and plans can be viewed
- photos and details of historical buildings and archaeological sites recorded by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh
- 17th and 18th century tax rolls
- Ordnance Survey [place] Name Books
- an opportunity to transcribe thousands of historic documents
A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapters in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books - St Andrews and St Leonards.
Old St Andrews (Stenlake Publishing) contains many photographs and full descriptions.
An excellent history of the town is St Andrews: City by the Northern Sea by Raymond Lamont-Brown (ISBN: 978-1841584508).
There are 4 cemeteries and 5 other locations of memorial inscriptions in St Andrews & St Leonards parish:
1. St Andrews Cathedral Churchyard, St Andrews (grid ref. NO 514165; GPS: 56.340021 -2.788855):
- This churchyard is maintained by Historic Scotland.
- The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below).
- Many older inscriptions are in Reid, and MacDonald (see below).
- Transcripts of many of the older stones were made by Robert Monteith in An Theater of Mortality, 1713. They are included in Publication 38, Monumental Notes part 2, published by the Fife Family History Society. Montieth's book is available at the Internet Archive texts. The Fife FHS publication also lists stones recorded by David Hay Fleming in his book St Andrews Cathedral Museum, 1931; and those listed in MacDonald and Reid (see below).
2. St Andrews Eastern Cemetery, The Pends, St Andrews (grid ref. NO 515165; GPS: 56.338749 -2.786226):
- The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below) - listed as 'St Andrews Cemetery'.
- A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.
- The current lair registers are administered by Fife Council, Cemeteries Department, County Buildings, St Catherine Street, Cupar, KY15 4TA. Tel. 01334 659336. Fax 01334 412896.
- There is a listing of grave locations in Fife of holders of the Victoria Cross.
3. St Andrews Western & Roundal Cemetery, Strathkinness Low Road, St Andrews (grid ref. NO 487160; GPS: 56.334928 -2.831437):
- The current lair registers (dating from 1930) are administered by Fife Council, Cemeteries Department, County Buildings, St Catherine Street, Cupar, KY15 4TA. Tel. 01334 659336. Fax 01334 412896.
4. St Leonard's Chapel, The Pends, St Andrews (grid ref. NO 513164; GPS: 56.339198 -2.789831):
- Pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below).
5. St Salvator's Church, North Street, St Andrews (grid ref. NO 510168; GPS: 56.3413 -2.794326):
- Pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below).
6. Holy Trinity Church, South Street, St Andrews (grid ref. NO 509166; GPS: 56.339522 -2.795528):
- Monumental inscriptions on the walls and on surrounding houses are in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below).
7. Boarhills Churchyard / Cemetery, A917, by Boarhills (grid ref. NO 562137; GPS: 56.313538 -2.710062):
- The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below).
- Another listing of the Boarhills Churchyard stones has been published by the Fife Family History Society in their Publication 19, Monumental Inscriptions.
- A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.
- The current lair registers (dating from 1939) are administered by Fife Council, Cemeteries Department, County Buildings, St Catherine Street, Cupar, KY15 4TA. Tel. 01334 659336. Fax 01334 412896.
8. Magus Muir, south of Strathkinness (grid ref. NO 456152; GPS: 56.325229 -2.882142):
- The graves of some of those connected with the murder here of Archbishop Sharp in 1678. The stones are listed in Mitchell & Mitchell (see below) under 'Trinity Church'.
- They are included in Publication 38, Monumental Notes part 2, published by the Fife Family History Society.
9. Strathtyrum Mausoleum, (grid ref. NO 492170; GPS: 56.343425 -2.822377):
- This mausoleum is in private grounds. There is no information about any memorial inscriptions. Listed building information
The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions for St Andrews Cathedral, St Andrews Cemetery, Trinity Church, St Leonard's Chapel, St Salvator's Church and Boarhills Churchyard are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 3 The north east parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061999
The Churchyard Memorials of St Andrews, Alan Reid, published in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1910-11, vol. 45, pages 488-550, deals mostly with 16th and 17th century memorials. Post-reformation tombstones in the Cathedral Churchyard, St Andrews, George MacDonald, published in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland,1935-36, vol. 70, pages 40-121, has many detailed descriptions of stones. They can both be downloaded from ARCHway.
Some stones are recorded in Graveyard Monuments in East, North and Central Fife, John di Folco, published in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Scotland, 1969-70, vol. 102, pages 205-236, which deals largely with stones dated pre-1707. It can be downloaded from ARCHway.
War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.
Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 453
Surname indexes to the 1841 and 1861 censuses have been produced by Dr David Calvert. The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society. All are available from the Society.
The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on the FreeCEN website.
Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.
LDS Library Film Numbers:
1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 St Andrews & St Leonards 1042704 1042272 103832 103995 203530 208766
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)
Further information on the main Fife page.
All Saints, St Andrews, Scottish Episcopal Church |
St Andrew, St Andrews, Scottish Episcopal Church |
St Andrews, Church of Scotland |
The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about the religious views of the inhabitants:
- The Established Church in St Andrews is collegiate [served by 2 ministers]. There is a separate minister for St Leonard's.
- 118 dissenters of all denominations
- 1 Episcopal clergyman who has an annual pension from Queen Anne's bounty
- 1 minister of the Burgher Seceders
- 1 family only of Antiburgher Seceders
The New Statistical Account of St Andrews (written in 1837) gives this information:
- 4 Dissenting chapels in the parish, 3 in the city (including 1 for the Episcopalians) and 1 in Strathkinness.
- Between one-eighth and one-ninth of the population of the parish are Dissenters.
- One family of Roman Catholics resides in the parish. The father is in the preventive service and was stationed here only about a year and a half ago. There are 2 other individuals of that persuasion in the parish, and the whole are natives of Ireland.
- An 1836 survey found 2490 individuals in communion with the Established Church, and 344 in communion with the various denominations of Dissenters, while the whole number of Dissenters was 697 (328 - United Associate Synod, 150 - Original Burghers, 108 - Episcopalians, 111- Independents).
The New Statistical Account of St Leonards (written in 1837) gives this information:
- The number of Dissenters of all denominations in the parish is 53. A few more usually sit in the dissenting chapels, but have not joined them as communicants. They urge that no accommodation has been provided for them in St Salvator’s Chapel, where the St Leonards congregation assemble for public worship.
A census of Religious Worship and Education was taken in 1851 at the same time as the census of population. A table of statistics about the churches in Fife at this time is available here. The statistics for the separate burghs were also given. Those for St Andrews are as follows:
St Andrews (Parliamentary Burgh): Population of Parish 7327, Population of Burgh 5107:
Religious Denomination Number of Places of Worship Number of Sittings Number of Attendants at Public Worship on Sunday March 30 1851 (including Sunday Scholars) Free Appropriated Total Morning Afternoon Evening Established Church 6 486 970 1456 2085 1696 350 United Presbyterian Church 1 380 380 300 350 Free Church 2 52 812 1144 766 833 Episcopal Church 2 184 296 480 191 214 Independents or Congregationalists 1 360 143 195 173 Baptists 1 250 250 68 71 90 Total 13 972 2458 4070 3553 3359 613 The number of sittings was not returned for 2 of the Established Churches. Source: Census of Great Britain, 1851, Religious worship and education. Scotland. Report and tables. British Parliamentary Papers 1854 LIX (1764).
The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists St Andrews parish church, a second charge of the Established Church in St Andrews, St Leonard's parish church, an Established Church at Strathkinness, Free Churches at St Andrews and Strathkinness, the Episcopal Church, the Baptist Church, the Congregational Church and the United Presbyterian Church.
Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.
Details of church history:
- St Andrews Parish Church (Holy Trinity)
St Andrews once existed as the ecclesiastical capital of Scotland and there is though to have been a religious community here since around 732AD, when relics of St Andrew were brought to the area, which was known in ancient times as Kilrimont. By 1144 St Andrews had established its place in the Scottish Church when a community of Augustinian Canons was set up here, and additionally in early times, around the beginning of the 12th century, there was a parish church built in St Andrews, which was dedicated to the Holy Trinity and which belonged to the Priory of St Andrews. The parish church was extensively restored in 1798 and again in the early years of the 20th century. A second charge was founded for the parish of St Andrews in 1589 and between the years of 1593-1620 a third charge was also maintained. The General Assembly, during the early years of the reformed church, held sessions on several occasions at St Andrews, the first of these, in 1572, coincided with the time during which John Knox was resident in the cathedral city. The Kirk Session of St Andrews Holy Trinity, the two charges of which were united in 1978, sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.
- St Leonard's Church
St Leonard's originated in a hospital, dedicated to St Leonard, for pilgrims visiting St Andrews founded c1140. In 1512 St Leonard's Hospital was converted into a college of St Andrews University. From the Reformation until 1824, the Principal of St Leonard's College was also minister of the parish. The church was ruinous in 1759, and the congregation thereafter worshipped in St Salvator's Chapel, but a new parish church was dedicated in 1904. In 1975 the congregation was linked with Cameron with Largoward, but the link with Largoward was terminated in 1983. The designation is currently Cameron linked with St Andrews: St Leonard's. The charge is within the Presbytery of St Andrews, and was in the Synod of Fife until synods were dissolved in 1993.
- St Andrews Hope Park (burgher, United Presbyterian, United Free and Church of Scotland)
Hope Park originates in a burgher church in St Andrews founded in 1749, although there had been seceding worship in the town for some years before. The first minister was ordained in 1752, but there was not regular ministry thereafter in the remainder of the 18th century. A new church in North Street was opened in 1826, and because the congregation increased another new church was opened in 1865. On the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, the congregation became a United Free Church charge, under the designation St Andrews: Hope Park. This name was maintained through the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland in 1929.
- St Andrews Martyrs Free Kirk Session (United Free and Church of Scotland)
A Free Church congregation at St Andrews was established immediately after the Disruption in 1843. At latest on the union of the Free Church of Scotland the United Presbyterian Church in 1900, the charge became St Andrews: Martyrs, in the United Free Church of Scotland, within the Presbytery of St Andrews and Synod of Fife. On the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland in 1929, the charge's designation remained as it was. In 1993 it was linked with Boarhills and Dunino. Jurisdiction: Presbytery of St Andrews
- St Andrews Congregational Church:
The evangelical activities of the Haldane brothers provoked a growth in non-conformity. An independent or congregational society was functioning in St Andrews with its own minister by 1805 and shortly therafter with a chapel at 101 Market Street. From 1839 the building was also used by a Baptist group who moved in 1843 to their own building on South Street. In 1853 the Congregationalists acquired a new chapel in South Bell Steet, a well-designed gothic building by Jesse Hall of St Andrews, which continued in use until the society was disbanded in 1966.
- St Andrews Episcopal Church:
There was a persistent adherence to the Episcopal order within St Andrews after 1690. However, the association with Jacobitism meant that there were restrictions imposed on Episcopal worship until 1792. It was not until 1825 that the St Andrews Episcopalians were able to build a small chapel in North Street, designed by William Burn and embellished in 1853 with and ornate gothic front by Gilbert Scott. In 1867-1869 this church was superseded by a larger building, also called St Andrew's Church at the foot of Queen Street. This was a dignified neo-gothic design by R Rowand Anderson of Edinburgh, often described as a cathedral in its early days and intended to have a lofty tower and spire. The tower was added in 1892 but was demolished as structurally unsafe in 1938. Associated with the congregation was a fishermen's mission (All Saints, St Andrews), in North Castle Street. The congregation remains the largest in the diocese of St Andrews, Dunkeld and Dunblane of the Scottish Episcopal Church. It is run by a Rector , currently assisted by a Curate and various honorary clergy. Source: R.G. Cant, 'Public Buildings of St Andrews, 1790-1914, Churches, Schools and Hospitals', in Three Decades of Historical Notes, (St Andrews, 1991), p. 121.
- Strathkinness Church of Scotland
The parish of Strathkinness was established in 1860 when it was disjoined from that of St Andrews and erected quoad sacra. In 1935, following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Strathkinness parish church was joined by the former United Free church congregation of Strathkinness. After the union the former United Free church, which had previously existed as a preaching station, was sold and a link was later established in 1980 with Dairsie with Kemback. The kirk session sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.
- Strathkinness United Free Church
Following the union of the United Presbyterian Church and the Free Church of Scotland in 1900, the former Free Church charge of Strathkinness was accordingly termed Strathkinness United Free Church, and in 1908 was reduced to a preaching station. Following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Strathkinness United Free joined with the parish church congregation of Strathkinness, and the former United Free church was later sold.
- Strathkinness Associate Session (later Free and United Free)
There was a Relief congregation at Strathkinness from c1801-1816, though not continuously in existence. In 1818, the Original Burgher Presbytery of Perth and Dunfermline prepared for a church at Strathkinness, but it was only in 1823 when that congregation was organised. In 1827 Mr Ralph Robb, an Original Burgher preacher, was ordained as first minister of the charge and in 1839 he, along with his congregation, joined the Church of Scotland. At the Disruption in 1843, however, Mr Robb left the session, which then became the Strathkinness Free Church. At the 1900 union of the United Free Church and the United Presbyterians, the charge was accordingly termed Strathkinness United Free Church, and in 1908 was reduced to a preaching station. Following the 1929 union of the Church of Scotland and the United Free Church, Strathkinness United Free joined with the parish church congregation of Strathkinness, and the former United Free church was later sold.
- Boarhills Church
When the church of Boarhills was erected in 1865 it is believed that the remains of an ancient chapel of Boarhills, dating back to the ninth or tenth cent, were found. Prior to the erection of the church in 1865 worship within the district was conducted within Boarhills school from 1840 and it wasn't until the year 1903 that the parish of Boarhills was disjoined from St Andrews and St Leonards and erected as a parish quoad sacra. Boarhills established a link in 1965 with Dunino and a further link followed in 1993 with St Andrews Martyr's. The link with St Andrews Martyr's continued following the union of Boarhills and Dunino in 1994, under the name of Boarhills and Dunino. The kirk session sits within the Presbytery of St Andrews.
Data provided by the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)
The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):
Holy Trinity, St Andrews
The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.
Parish reference number: 453
The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):
St Andrews OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths 453/1 1627-1680 453/2 1680-1738 453/3 1739-1803 453/4 1803-1819 453/5 1638-1659 453/6 1659-1670 453/7 1670-1679 453/8 1679-1698 453/9 1698-1706 453/10 1706-1719 453/11 1719-1729 453/12 1729-1740 453/13 1740-1750 453/14 1750-1762 453/15 1763-1771 453/16 1770-1819 453/17 1732-1819 453/19 1820-1854 453/20 1820-1854 453/21 1820-1854 Register of Neglected Entries 1844-1845 St Leonards OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths 453/18 1667-1819 1668-1819 453/22 1820-1854 1820-1855
(Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland) The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:
St. Andrews: B. With the exception that it is defective Dec. 1737 - April 1740, Record carefully kept throughout; the portion prior to 1680, in particular, being beautifully written. After Record for June 1712, three pp. of entries of children baptized by an Episcopal Minister 1712 - 1741; and at the beginning of vol. 2, two pp. of irregular entries of children baptized by Seceders 1738 - 1757. After Record for 1819 there are 17 slips of paper containing the dates of Births of children born bet. 1803 and 1844.
M. Record of Contracts and Marriages prior to 1770 mixed up with other matters. Blank 1685 - 1694. Separate Record after 1770. Irregular Marriages occasionally recorded.
D. Greater part of first leaf destroyed. Prior to Feb. 1735 the entries record not only the date of Death and Burial, but generally also the hour of both. After Feb. 1735 the date of Death only recorded.St. Leonards: B. blank Aug. 1695 - June 1696. Only one entry May 1799 - May 1800.
M. blank Jan. 1677 - April 1678, and March 1690 - Nov. 1691. Only one entry Nov. 1692 - Aug. 1694, and one April 1695 - Aug. 1696. No entry for 1717. Blank March 1739 - June 1740. No entry for 1769. Blank Sept. 1797 - Nov. 1800. No entry for 1821.Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.
LDS Library Film Numbers:
1040171 Item 3 Baptisms 1627-1667 1040172 Baptisms 1667-1819; Misc. Baptisms 1820-1843 1040173 Session book (includes Marriages) 1638-1679 1040174 Session book (includes Marriages) 1679-1685, 1694- 1720 1040175 Session book (includes Marriages) 1720-1754 1040176 Session book (includes Marriages) 1754-1771; Marriages 1770-1819; Burials 1732-1819 1040388 Baptisms, Marriages (St. Leonards) 1667-1819; Baptisms, Marriages, Burials (St. Andrews) 1820-1854 1040181 Item 1 Baptisms, Marriages (St. Leonards) 1820-1855; Neglected Entries (Baptisms - St. Andrews) 1844-1845
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.
Further information on the main Fife page.
Kirk Session records are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (453/5-15).
Heritors' Records (HR73-St Andrews, HR491-St Leonards) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:
- CH2/316
St Andrews Kirk Session
Minutes, 1559-1600, 1715-1739 and 1758-1902; Proclamation register, 1855-1899; Rentals 1771-1840; Transcripts of extracts from records, 1638 and 1725. See also Old Parochial Registers below.The Kirk Session Register 1559-1600 was transcribed and published in 1889. It is available online at the Open Library.
- B65
St Andrews Burgh records
List of seat rents in town church, 1833-1907.
- CH2/1561
St Leonard's Church
Registers (ie minutes), 1663-1689, 1691-1692, 1696-1705, 1712-1980; Register (discipline cases), 1905-1925; Account of collections and disbursements, 1692-1812; Proclamations of marriage, 1709-1713, 1720-1728, 1740-1791, 1855-1967; Contracts of marriage, 1767-1791; Register of baptisms, 1709-1713, 1720-1728, 1740-1791, 1855-1865, 1880-1958; Communion rolls, 1846-1863, 1881-1960; Accounts, 1740-1827, 1845-1882; Church door collections, 1846-1923; Special fund accounts, 1889-1900; Account book of receipts and payments for Blantyre mission, 1892-1898; Account book in connection with erection of new parish church, 1902-1906; Property register, 1908-1953.
- CH2/1547
Strathkinness Kirk Session
Minutes, 1860-1979; Trustee's minutes, 1860-1939; Proclamations, 1875-1961; Cash book, 1863-1942; Communion roll, 1891-1910; Cash book, 1935-1948.
- CH2/1541
Boarhills Kirk Session
Minutes, 1867-1994; Manager's minutes, 1903-1966; Communion roll, 1903-1994; Proclamation register, 1903-1976; Banns, 1903-1919; Certificates of transference.Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh but not online:
453/5 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1638-1659 453/6 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1659-1670 453/7 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1670-1679 453/8 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1679-1698 453/9 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1698-1706 453/10 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1706-1719 453/11 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1719-1729 453/12 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1729-1740 453/13 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1740-1750 453/14 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1750-1763 453/15 St Andrews Kirk Session Minutes 1763-1671 At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:
- HR/73
St Andrews parish heritors' records
Minutes, 1784-1800, 1804-1930; Account book, 1860-1930; Miscellaneous volumes, 1800,1812.
- HR/491
St Leonards parish heritors' records
Minutes, 1838-1932; Accounts, 1838-1932 (with gaps); Vouchers, 1847-1902 (with gaps); Papers relating to buildings, 1839-1912; Papers relating to Church of Scotland, 1926-1927; Correspondence, 1838-1869, 1927-1932; Miscellaneous, 1838-1843; Plans of lands of Rathelpie, 1901.
Other Churches:
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:
- CH3/1584
St Andrews Hope Park (burgher, United Presbyterian, United Free and Church of Scotland)
Minutes, 1747-1984; Congregational and managers' minutes, 1797-1809, 1814-1841, 1858-1972; Accounts, 1783-1963; Seat rents, 1792-1808; Seat letting book, 1827, 1871-1879, 1891, 1908-1954; Congregational record, 1895-1917, 1927-1936; Musical association minutes, 1890-1892; Bazaar committee minutes, 1896-1897; Membership and admissions, 1842-1848; Communion rolls, 1874-1943; Baptismal registers, 1829-1934; Marriage register, 1947-1961; Proclamation register, 1933-1977; Disjunction certificates, 1898-1902, 1906-1911; Poor fund accounts, 1896-1965; Special funds accounts, 1927-1965; Collection book, 1809-1821; Church buildings accounts, 1863-1876; Ledger, 1903-1922; Account book, Mrs Ireland's bequest, 1895-1965; Account book, Mrs Pearson's trust, 1886-1910; Account book, Mrs Ireland's monument trust, 1906-1965; Miscellaneous papers, undated.
The registers are being made available on the ScotlandsPeople website.An index to the following records has been published by the Fife Family History Society Baptismal Registers No.2, also available on CD:
Baptisms Hope Park Associate Congregation 1829-1854
- CH3/1585
St Andrews Martyrs Free Kirk Session (United Free and Church of Scotland)
Minutes, 1843-1963; Deacons' court minutes, 1892-1896, 1908-1946; Congregational meetings, minutes, 1891; Baptismal register, 1843-1885; Communion rolls, 1873-1916, 1926-1972; Girls' Auxiliary, minutes, 1911-1942; Property register, 1960-1967; Proclamation register, 1934-1977.
The registers are being made available on the ScotlandsPeople website.An index to the following records has been published by the Fife Family History Society Baptismal Registers No.2, also available on CD:
Baptisms Martyrs Free Church (later United Free) 1843-1854
- ms30326-30344
St Andrews Congregational Church
- ms30326-30333 Minutes of meetings of deacons and congregation, 1896-1966 (8 volumes)
- ms30334-30335 Rolls of members, 1822-1946, with communion attendances, 1917-1946 (2 volumes)
- ms30336 Church meeting attendances, c1951-1953
- ms30337-30338 Cash books, 1906-1964 (2 volumes)
- ms30339-30340 Free will registers, 1948-1965 (2 volumes)
- ms30341 Minutes of Sunday School, 1846-1869 and 1930-1931 with miscellaneous Sunday School accounts, 1847-1918
- ms30342 Minutes of womens' work party, 1937-1945
- ms30343 Accounts of womens' work party, 1943-1966
- ms30344 Miscellaneous papers relating to the congregation, 1882-1966 (2 files, 3 plaques).
- msdep47
St Andrew's Episcopal Church
Register material includes: fragmentary baptisms, 1722-1740, 1748-1787; baptisms, marriages and burials 1823-1861, 1860-1915; services 1863-1894, 1905-1976. Minute books include those of vestry committee including relating to new church building, 1862-1868, 1867-1919; vestry 1919-1980; guild of St Ninian 1905-1907, 1914-1916; Committee for youthwork, 1935-1943; Finance committee 1877-1904; Congregational committee, 1896-1935, Men's Society 1909-1916 and Choir Committee 1878. Financial material includes fragment of record of subscriptions for behoof of minister, 1747-1772; vestry account book 1861-1876l offertory books 1883-1907, 1929-1964; Accounts 1876-1922; Pew rent books, 1931-1945; Cash books 1925-1942. Other material includes papers relating to buildings including demolition of tower, communion rolls, congregational returns and lists of members, addresses, roll of honour 1914-1918, constitutions 1862, 1870, inventories of furnishings, 1946-1975 and title deeds, 1935; letter books 1870-1920 other correspondence; Plans of rectory, 1939 and 1944, church ground 1951, proposed church extensions 1901-1902, church 1824; The Net church magazine (first edition - [ongoing]).The Register of Births and Marriages for the Episcopal Congregation at St Andrews, 1722-1787 was published by the Scottish Record Society, Old Series part 73, 1916. It is available online at the Open Library. It has been reprinted and extended to 1859 by the Fife Family History Society as Baptismal Registers No.5. It also contains a list of subscriptions, probably on behalf of the Clergyman or towards expenses of Services, 1747-1772.
Births / Baptisms Marriages St Andrews Episcopal Congregation 1722-1787; 1819-1859 1722-1787; 1819-1859 The LDS have filmed the following records which may be consulted at LDS Family History Centres.
LDS Library Film Numbers:
844777 Item 1 St Andrews Episcopal Congregation Register of births and marriages, 1722-1787 Original source: Book: Scottish Record Society (Series) : v. 49
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) The births and marriages to 1787 can be searched on the FreeREG site.
- CH3/1566
Strathkinness United Free Church
Minutes, 1911-1929; Deacon's court minutes, 1901-1929.
- CH3/291
Strathkinness Associate Session (later Free and United Free)
Session minutes, 1827-1831 and 1857-1911; Communion rolls, 1859 and 1904; Baptisms, 1882-1893; Cash book, 1899-1930.The St Andrews page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.
Registration districts covering this parish:
Registration district | number | start date | end date |
St Andrews (Fife) burgh | 453/1 | 1855 | 1855 |
St Andrews (Fife) landward | 453/2 | 1855 | 1855 |
St Leonards | 453/3 | 1855 | 1855 |
St Andrews and St Leonards | 453 | 1856 | 1967 |
St Andrews | 453 | 1968 | 1971 |
St Andrews | 413 | 1972 | 2002 |
Fife | 413 | 2003 |
Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.
The parish entry in Pigot's National Commercial Directory for the whole of Scotland, 1837, is online at Google Books.
Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.
Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.
- David Webster's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1819, online at Google Books.
- Fullarton's Topographical, Statistical and Historical Gazetteer of Scotland, published 1842, online at Google Books.
- Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1846, online at British History (St Andrews) and (St Leonards).
- Barbieri's Descriptive and Historical Gazetteer of the Counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan, published 1857, is at Google Books.
- Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4) and John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887), are on A Vision of Britain (click on "Historical places and writing").
- Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland(1892-6) on Electric Scotland
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Andrews and St Leonards to another place.
Before 1891, St Andrews and St Leonards parishes were a complicated mixture of town and country parts, intermixed with each other. St Leonards consisted of 4 separate parts: an area at Kenly at the south end of St Andrews parish, 2 parts in the burgh of St Andrews itself, and an area at Rathelpie to the west of the burgh.
On 15th May 1891 a new parish of St Leonards was created, situated entirely within the burgh of St Andrews. The country areas were transferred to St Andrews parish. The following subjects were, therefore, transferred from St Leonards parish to St Andrews parish: Upper Kenly Farm, Nether Kenly, Newmill, Rathelpie, Peekie, Peekie Mill and Mill Bank, Westerlee.
The separate parishes were united to form the Parish of St Andrews and St Leonards in 1895.
A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.
I found a brief history of St. Andrews but cannot say for certain that it was written by a historian. Interesting read, though.
Another website you might want to visit gives "a historical perspective" of St. Andrews and St. Leonards Parish which, according to the site, has been gathered from the Gazetteer of Scotland.
Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.
At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:
- VR77
Valuation Rolls: St Andrews Burgh
1855-1930; the Roll from 1930 is included in the Valuation Roll for the County of Fife
- VR101
Valuation Rolls: Fife
1855-1975; covers the part of the parish outwith the Burgh up to 1930, thereafter the whole parish
- B/65
St Andrews Burgh records
St Andrews burgh records, 1673-1948, including: Register of sasines, 1673-1948 (gaps); Register of sasines minutes, 1673-1948; Calendar, nd.
Historic maps:
- On-line maps:
- National Library of Scotland map collection - main page
- For 17th, 18th and early 19th century maps, see the National Library of Scotland map collection.
- Using the geo-referenced maps at the National Library of Scotland allows historic maps to be viewed on top of a modern map or satellite view
- Ordnance Survey 6-inch, 1st edition (1855) Fife sheets 6, 7, 11, 12, 13 at the National Library of Scotland (for the best images), or at old-maps.co.uk or British History online.
- Ordnance Survey 6-inch editions of 1896, 1921 and 1938 at old-maps.co.uk.
- Ordnance Survey 25-inch editions of 1895 and 1914 at old-maps.co.uk.
- Town plans of St Andrews dated 1580, 1642, 1775, 1820 (Wood), 1832 (Great Reform Act plan & report), 1854 (Ordnance Survey), 1893 (Ordnance Survey), and 1912 at the National Library of Scotland.
- A Vision of Britain has the Ordnance Survey one-inch, 1st edition (1850s) and the Ordnance Survey one-inch, Popular edition (1920s) - both showing parish boundaries; Land Utilisation mapping (1930s); and more.
- Ordnance Survey 1-inch, 1st edition (1857-1888) sheets 41 & 49; 2nd edition (1899) sheets 41 & 49; and 3rd edition (1906-1907) sheets 41 & 49 at the National Library of Scotland.
- Ordnance Survey 1-inch, Popular edition (1927) sheet 64 at the National Library of Scotland.
- Ordnance Survey 1-inch, 7th series (1950s-1960s) sheet 56 at the National Library of Scotland.
- Paper maps:
- The National Library of Scotland sells paper and digital copies of their maps (select "Enquiries & copies").
- The Caledonian Maps Victorian Ordnance Survey Map Series sheet 41 (reprint of the 1899 1-inch maps).
- Old-maps.co.uk sell paper copies of all their on-line maps.
- Ordnance Survey 1-inch, 7th series (1950s-1960s) sheet 56
- Caledonian Maps publish Wood's 1820 town plan of St Andrews (which shows names of proprietors)
- Alan Godfrey Maps produce a reprint of the large scale 1893 Ordnance Survey town plan of St Andrews.
- The best collection of large scale local and estate maps and plans is held by the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. The RCAHMS also has some plans. They are catalogued on the ScotlandsPlaces website. N.B. Only a few maps and plans are available as digital images.
Present-day maps:
- On-line maps:
- National Library of Scotland map collection - main page
- Streetmap
- Ordnance Survey maps
- Paper maps:
- Ordnance Survey Landranger (scale 1:50000 - about 1 inch to 1 mile) sheet 59 - St Andrews
- Ordnance Survey Explorer (larger scale 1:25000 - about 2 and a half inches to 1 mile) sheet 371 - St Andrews and East Fife
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO507153 (Lat/Lon: 56.327138, -2.798354), St Andrews and St Leonards which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
Hospital records (mostly of an administrative nature) are held by the Fife Council Archive Centre. The following hospitals are included: Memorial Cottage Hospital, St Andrews 1875-1949. Patient records are closed for 100 years.
War graves can be seen at the Scottish Wargraves Project and war memorials can be seen at the Scottish War Memorials Project.
Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.
Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 29.
Lists of St Andrews fleshers, 1610 - 1844, St Andrews tailors, 1659 - 1866 and St Andrews weavers, 1751 - 1862, extracted from trade incorporation records held by the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, have been published by the Fife Family History Society in Publication 14 - Trade Incorporation Records and is also available on the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website.
Also available on the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website are similar lists of St Andrews Weavers (1751-1862), Tailors (1659-1866) and Hammermen (1539-1792).
At the Fife Council Archive Centre is an index to the St Andrews District Criminal Register, 1888 - 1899.
The parish is included in Andrew Campbell's compilation of Fife Shopkeepers and Traders 1820-1870 taken from newspapers and directories. It is available in most Fife reference libraries, in the libraries of the family history societies, and at the Manuscript Department of the Special Collections Department of St Andrews University Library. It is also available as Fife Traders and Shopkeepers on CD from Fife Family History Society.
There is a series of articles about many Fife family businesses in Fife Family History Society's Journal, New Series 11.
St Andrews Sea Box Society
The Seafaring Society in the parishes of St Andrews and St Leonards was founded in 1643 as a Friendly Society. It seems to have lacked any formal constitution until after 1734. There were initially four classes of members: masters, mates, mariners and apprentice masters. Dues were paid as a proportion of earnings. The Society seems to have been administered by two Managers chosen from among the Shipmasters and three assistants. Later a Factor was appointed to act as clerk and treasurer. There was also an officer whose duty it was to call and attend all meetings. There was at least one meeting each year. In addition to entry fees and annual payments, the society derived income from land and bonds on property and later interest from investment of funds. The benefits paid out to members and their dependants included provision for those prevented from working by illness or disability, superannuation for those over 55 and for widow and children as well as meeting funeral expenses. Alternative names for the society included the Sea Poor Box of St Andrews (1734), the Sea Box Society of St Andrews (1863), the Poor Sea Box Society of St Andrews (1880). The Society ceased to be registered as a Friendly Society of Scotland in 1920 and the last meeting was held on 11 January 1921. Source: Articles in Three Decades of Historical Notes, ( St Andrews, 1991): C. Forrest, 'The Sea Box Papers', p. 155; and M I Smith, 'The Seafaring Society in the Parishes of St Andrews and St Leonards, 1643-1920', pp. 155-160.
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:
- msdep51
Papers of the St Andrews Sea Box Society- Box1: Minutes and accounts, 1775-1869; minute book 1870-1974; laws and regulations 1800, 1816, 1821, 1857.
- Box 2: Account book, 1802-1868, 1869-1918, 1919-1966; rental book 1871-1920.
- Box 3: Miscellaneous papers: builders' accounts1707-1861, legal papers including titles, 1625-1847.
- Box 4: Miscellaneous papers: payments to the sea box, receipts, parish kirk, constitution, repair of pier, 1643-20th century ; titles of 2 Priory Acres 1663-1732 and of property on south side of North Street, 1533-1719.
Access by appointment with the Archivist. Access to unpublished records less than 30 years old and other records containing confidential information may be restricted. Special conditions apply to photographs. Access Conditions: Applications for permission to quote should be sent to the University Archivist. Reproduction subject to usual conditions: educational use and condition of documents. There are conditions in the terms of deposit which affect reproduction.
- B65
St Andrews Burgh records
Guildry books, 1604-1861; Guildry accounts, 1816-1835; Seven Trades Convenor's books, 1594-1847; Maltmen minutes, 1762-1849; Wrights minutes, 1795-1869; Wrights' Boxmaster's accounts, 1796-1869.
St Andrews District Council
The Local Government (Scotland) Act 1929 (19 & 20 Geo. V, c.25) required county councils to draw up a scheme of district councils, to be composed partly of directly elected district councillors and partly of the county councillors from electoral divisions within the district. District councils had various responsibilities delegated to them by the county council under a scheme of delegation. These might include the letting of houses, the upkeep of cemeteries and until 1948 the poor law. District councils also administered special districts or committees responsible for certain functions such as scavenging or water supply, financed by additional rates. District councils were abolished in 1975 by the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973 (c.65).
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:
- DC9
Records of St Andrews District Council
Minutes, 1970-1975.
The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. See Public Records below.
The workhouses.org.uk website has some information about the St Andrews almshouses (the East Poorhouse).
Year | St Andrews | St Leonards |
1755 | 4590 | 323 |
1801 | 4203 | 363 |
1851 | 6740 | 587 |
Parish of St Andrews & St Leonards:
Year | Population |
1901 | 9410 |
1951 | 10977 |
There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.
See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.
Probate records are 'Confirmations' in Scotland.
Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of St Andrews may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20).
Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.
Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court, Cupar Sheriff Court and St Andrews Burgh Register of Deeds.
Parochial Boards and their successors, Parish Councils, administered many local functions including poor relief.
At the FifeCouncil Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:
- FCC/6/49
St Andrews & St Leonards Parochial Board / Parish Council
Minute books, 1845-1930; Inventory of Deeds, 1761-1895; Chartulary, 1855-1972.
School Board records and / or school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. St Andrews records:
At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Markinch:
- St Andrews Burgh School
Logbooks, 1900-1933; admissions register, 1898-1909.
- St Andrews Burgh Infants School
Logbooks, 1885-1919
- St Andrews East End School
Logbooks, 1863-1900
- St Andrews East End Primary School
Logbooks, 1889-1931
- Boarhills Public School
Logbooks, 1874-1988
- Strathkinness South School
Logbooks, 1873-1894
- Strathkinness Primary School
Logbooks, 1894-1995; Admissions Registers, 1934-1961
- St Andrews & St Leonards School Board
Minute books, 1873-1878, 1904-1911.
- St Andrews School Management Committee
Minute books, 1931-1942, 1944-1949.
- St Andrews Madras College Management Committee
Minute books, 1928-1974
Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:
- St Andrews and St Leonards School Board
Minutes, 1888-1905, 1911-1919
- Records of Madras College, St Andrews
- ms37601-2
Minutes of trustees, 1-2, 1831-1846, 1846-1879 - ms37603
Minutes of governors, 1, 1888-1907 - ms37604
Index to minute books of governors, from 1888 - ms37605-37612/1
Endowment Trust letter books, 1-7, 1888-1926; 10, 1938-1957 - ms37612/2
Management trust letter book, 1928-1934 - ms37613
Endowment trust cash ledger, 1928-1940 - ms37614-37627
Miscellaneous papers, 14 boxes - ms38438
Minutes of trustees, 3, 1879-1889; Minutes of governors, 2-3, 1908-1929; Ledgers, 2-5, 1898-1928; Cash books, 1-2, 1905-1928 - ms38375
Specification of work for Master's house, 1834 - ms38495
Additional material which had been returned to School by solicitor in 1999: Contents of deed box including trust deeds, leases, inventories, papers relating to Dundee Royal Asylum, land for dam and railway at Cairns, Pipeland farmhouse, medals. - msdep13
2 boxes of bundled papers including correspondence of Andrew Bell, c1830-c1900; 3 boxes of unlisted papers including much printed material, photographs, file on 1933 centenary, slate etc. Roll of plans of building, 1831.
- ms37601-2
Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:
School Board | School | Accommodation for scholars | Average attendance |
St Andrews (Burgh) | Burgh | 568 | 473 |
East End | 359 | 178 | |
Infant | 280 | 253 | |
St Andrews (Landward) | Boarhills | 117 | 65 |
Strathkinness | 208 | 144 |
In the Muniment Collection in the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:
Access by appointment with the Archivist. Access to unpublished records less than 30 years old and other records containing confidential information may be restricted.
- UMUN
Records of the University of St Andrews
Main types of records included are: Administrative records of the Colleges: minutes, statutes, secretarial and financial papers, bursary and student papers, landholding records. Administrative records of the University as a whole relating to privileges, lands and buildings, officers and staff, students and graduates, faculties, Senatus Academicus minutes 1696-, Court minutes 1860-, General Council minutes and registers 1859-, accounts 1729-, and other financial papers, secretary's files, papers relating to residences, relations with outside bodies, student papers including records of student societies. There are also papers of former principals and members of staff. Library records including catalogues 1644-, borrowing and acquisition records, regulations, correspondence, staff and financial material.
"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages
- The 'Old' Statistical Account is at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland and Google Books.
- The 'New' Statistical Account is also at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland and Google Books. (Separate chapters for St Andrews and St Leonards).
The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:
- B65
St Andrews Burgh records
Taxation inventories, 1630-1633; Poll tax and stent rolls, 1618-1839, 1846-1848, 1855-1856; Cess book, 1826-1833
People of St Andrews 1600-1799 by David Dobson, drawn largely from tax lists, can be obtained from the Tay Valley Family History Society.
See also the Early Taxation Records page.
Towns were usually referred to as Burghs in Scotland.
At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:
- B/Sta
St Andrews Burgh records
Town council minutes, 1912-1965 (with gaps); burgh engineer's letter books, 1938-1974; town clerk's correspondence, 1956-1975; account books, 1931-1973; Water committee minutes, 1784-1821 and correspondence etc relating to water and sewage schemes, 1861-1974; papers relating to mussel fishing in river Eden, 1844-1972; St Andrews Harbour Trustees minute book, 1897-1967; St Andrews Burgh licensing court register, 1964-1975; correspondence relating to the golf courses and accounts for green fees, 1928-1974.
At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:
- B/65
St Andrews Burgh records
St Andrews burgh records, 1673-1948, including: Register of sasines, 1673-1948 (gaps); Register of sasines minutes, 1673-1948; Calendar, nd.
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:
- B65
St Andrews Burgh records
Chartularies, 1550-1866, including 'The Black Book' and 'The Brown Book'; Register of Salmon Fishing Leases, 1842-1899; Registers of deeds, 1692-1699, 1706-1711, 1726-1771, 1778-1891; Register of protests, 1805-1809; Court books, 1589-1592, 1600-1603, 1664-1665, 1674-1675, 1707-1896; Bread assize book, 1788-1834; Summary criminal trial records, 1842-1868; Police Act court book, 1850-1862; Police Court convictions, 1863-1868; Registers of persons committed to jail, 1827-1837; Licensing court records, 1778-1859, 1891-1908, 1912-1947; Council minutes, 1656-1729, 1743-1975; Council committee minutes (various), 1843-1903, 1910-1916, 1927-1933; Town Council annual committee minutes, 1776-1786; Magistrates minutes, 1781-1782, 1814-1823; Police commissioners minutes, 1838-1900; Police commissioners letter books, 1885-1898; Town Council letter book, 1897-1902; Medical Officer of Health: reports on houses, 1935-1936; Dean of Guild court book, 1827-1865; Guildry books, 1604-1861; Guildry accounts, 1816-1835; Seven Trades Convenor's books, 1594-1847; Maltmen minutes, 1762-1849; Wrights minutes, 1795-1869; Wrights' Boxmaster's accounts, 1796-1869. Harbour trustees minutes, 1771-1805; cash book, 1897-1952; Town Council Harbour Committee minutes, 1843-1845; Record of harbour dues, 1859-1920. Treasurer's accounts, 1611-1626; Town factor's accounts, 1796-1819; City factor's cash books, 1807-1839, 1886-1928; Town cash books, 1834-1861; Town's accounts, 1818-1872; Police commissioners accounts, 1838-1885; Bell Fund trust cash books, 1831-1931; City rental list, 1899-1928; Housing schemes account book, 1921-1925; Street lighting subscribers minutes and accounts, 1821-1834; List of seat rents in town church, 1833-1907; Register of loans, 1911-1969. Taxation inventories, 1630-1633; Poll tax and stent rolls, 1618-1839, 1846-1848, 1855-1856; Cess book, 1826-1833; Water accounts, 1826-1837; Statute labour assessments, 1832-1833; Prison Board assessments, 1840-1845. Regality court book, 1731-1741; Billet master's book, 1798-1857; Register of burgess admission, arrestments etc, 1766-1768; Registers of voters, 1832, 1837-1838, 1842-1855; Election books, 1861-1914, 1919-1947; List of burgh population, 1838; University commission evidence (printed), 1837; Salmon fishings, West Sands, 1966-1967; Waugh Bequest: minutes, 1895-1927; Victory Fund agenda book, 1944-1948. Crown and other charters in favour of the burgh, title deeds concerning land in the burgh etc, 1153,1162-1828; Miscellaneous discharges and other writs, 1542-1803. Miscellaneous papers: Claims of service, retours and cognitions, 1596-1935; Complaints to burgh court, 1753-1862; Decreets etc, 1662-1844; Petitions, 1736-1889; Miscellaneous papers from charter chest, 1596-1896; Dean of Guild court petitions, 1761-1840; Guildry papers, 1699-1832; Miscellaneous burgh accounts and vouchers, 1625-1870; Treasurer's accounts, 1623-24, 1705-08, 1725-1813 (incomplete); Registered protested bills, 1709-1844; Bonds of caution, 1755-1844; Claims, 1715, 1722-1826; Roads and walks in St Andrews, 1730-1893; Precognitions, 1768-1834; Tolbooth, 1617-1888; Commissions, 1758-1868; Schools, soldiers, volunteers and charities, 1620-1886; Magistrates and committees, 1775-1895; Precepts of warning, 1857-1863; Registered deeds, dispositions etc, 1622-1863; Miscellaneous title deeds, 1606-1862; Papers in court actions, 1722-1843; Tacks and articles of roup, 1604-1849; Papers relating to burgh elections, 1883-1897; Cess accounts, 1727-1803; Vouchers for town's expenses, c1725-1885; Miscellaneous papers, 1540-1890; Papers relating to St Andrews trades, 1511-1884; Convention of royal burghs, 1598-1884; Town Council letters, 1870-1895; St Andrews Harbour, 1707-1897; Lighting, 1821-1881; Priory Acres, 1606-1759; Mussel scalps, 1802-1897; Links, 1732-1893, with golf course papers, 1913-1936; Haughs, 1600-1878; Lawyers' accounts, 1730-1887; Salmon fishing, 1848-1872; Salaries, 1607-1874; Public burdens vouchers, 1609-1873; Mills, 1576-1888; Lists of voters in municipal elections, 1857-1897; Drainage/water supply, 1864-1884; Provisional orders/public inquiries, 1932-1958; Government evacuation scheme, 1939; Air raid precaution scheme for Fife, 1937-1939; Papers on burgh matters arranged on subject basis, 15th-19th cents.
On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is an index to St Andrews Burgh Register of Deeds (1692-1891).
A Burgess Roll of St Andrews 1751 - 1775 has been published by the Fife Family History Society.
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:
- B65
St Andrews burgh records
Registers of voters, 1832, 1837-1838, 1842-1855; Election books, 1861-1914, 1919-1947.