Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Logie
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
Hide
Hide
Description of the parish in 1857
"Logie parish was anciently called Logie Murdoch. It is bounded on the north and west by Kilmany, on the south by Dairsie and Leuchars, and on the east by Leuchars and Forgan. It is 4 miles in length by 1.25 miles in breadth. It is watered by several burns from the higher grounds. Any good fertile loam is to be found on the sides of the hills; the lower part being generally moorish and thin. The average rent of land may be set down at £2 per acre. This being an agricultural parish, every means has been used to improve it; and were the enclosures better than they are, farmers would rear more sheep than they do, as they are found greatly to improve light dry land; that is, by allowing the land to lie in grass for some years. The sheep are of various breeds. A good deal of cattle are reared here, but more are bought and fattened in winter by turnips for the butcher. The Fife breed answers best. The quaintity of grain grown is in the following order: oats, barley and wheat; then grass, turnip, potatoes, pease and beans, occupy most ground in the order just given. Coal and freestone are not wrought in the parish, but whinstone is very abundant, from being so near the hills. Lucklawhill consists of a yellow coloured porphyry, "very hard, and susceptible of a very fine polish". Parish church and Free church, but no U.P. church. Parish school, but no private school. A library was left by Walter Bowman for the use of the parish about a hundred years ago. There is no public house in the parish. Logie village is a small one, near the parish church, from which the nearest market and post town is Cupar, distant 4.5 miles. There are two other hamlets." - edited from A Descriptive & historic gazeteer of the counties of Fife, Kinross & Clackmannan, M Barbieri, published in 1857.
Hide
The ScotlandsPlaces website lets users search across national databases by geographical location. It includes, amongst other material,
- catalogue entries for maps and plans held by the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh; some maps and plans can be viewed
- photos and details of historical buildings and archaeological sites recorded by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh
- 17th and 18th century tax rolls
- Ordnance Survey [place] Name Books
- an opportunity to transcribe thousands of historic documents
A very good description is to be found in the relevant chapter in History of the County of Fife: From the Earliest Period to the Present Time by John M Leighton, published 1840, online at Google Books.
Logie Churchyard (grid ref. NO 404204, GPS: 56.372173 -2.965958):
- The pre-1855 monumental inscriptions are listed in Fifeshire Monumental Inscriptions (pre-1855) vol. 3 The north east parishes by John Fowler Mitchell & Sheila Mitchell, published by the Scottish Genealogy Society. ISBN 0901061999
- A listing of monumental inscriptions has been published by the Tay Valley Family History Society who have also produced a CD containing an indexed picture gallery of headstones.
- Another listing has been published by the Fife Family History Society in their Publication 15, Monumental Inscriptions.
- On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the Burial Records for 1816-1854.
- The current lair registers (dating from 1816) are administered by Fife Council, Bereavement Services East, County Buildings, St Catherine Street, Cupar, KY15 4TA. Tel. 01334 659336. Fax 01334 412896.
- A CD with photographs of the stones and transcriptions is available from Scottish Monumental Inscriptions or from The Parish Chest.
Parish / district reference number for 1841 - 1901 censuses: 446
The 1841 and 1851 returns can be searched on the FreeCEN website.
The 1851 census has been indexed by the Tay Valley Family History Society.
The 1861 census has been indexed and can be downloaded here
Some census records on microfilm may be consulted in LDS Family Search Centres around the world.
LDS Library Film Numbers:
1841 1851 1861 1871 1881 1891 Logie 1042703 1042270 103831 103994 203528 208764
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints)
Further information on the main Fife page.
Logie, Church of Scotland |
In addition to the Parish Church, there was also a Free Church (later the Logie & Gauldry United Free Church).
The Old Statistical Account (written in the 1790s) gives this information about Dissenters:
- There are a good many Seceders who attend a Burgher meeting house in the neighbouring parish of Kilmany.
The New Statistical Account (written in 1837) gives this information:
- No dissenting place of worship in the parish
- Dissenters are not numerous, seldom exceeding 30 individuals, and chiefly belong to the Relief and Associate Synod.
The 1865 Ecclesiastical Directory lists the parish church and the Free Church (Logie and Gauldry).
Information and pictures of the churches at the Scottish Churches website.
Details of church history:
- Logie Parish Church:
The church of Logie, formerly known as Logie-Murdoch, was dedicated to St Luag and formerly belonged to the Abbey of Balmerino. Ministry of the session is first recorded from 1562 in the person of Archibald Keith. The present day church was erected in 1826. In 1972 the congregation of Logie, which sat within the Presbytery of Cupar and Synod of Fife throughout its existence, was dissolved.
- Logie & Gauldry United Free Church, Gauldry Church of Scotland:
The minister of Logie came out of the Church of Scotland at the Disruption in 1843, and a church was built in the Fife village and opened in 1844. A separate station was maintained at Gauldry from 1843. In 1848 the Free Church General Assembly sought the union of the charges, but the union did not occur until 1852 as a suitable site for the united charge could not be obtained. The majority of the congregation was in Gauldry where a converted building was opened as a church in 1867. The congregation joined the United Free Church in 1900, on the union of the Free Church of Scotland and the United Presbyterian Church. After the union of the United Free Church and the Church of Scotland in 1929, the charge's designation became Gauldry, within the Presbytery of Cupar and Synod of Fife; and it united with Balmerino, under the designation Balmerino, in 1937.
Data provided by the Scottish Archive Network (SCAN)
The Parish Church (Established Church, Church of Scotland):
The original Old Parish Registers (of baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages, and deaths / burials) of the Church of Scotland, which cover the years up to 1854, are held in the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh, and they can all be consulted there at the National Records of Scotland. The baptisms / births, proclamations / marriages and deaths / burials indexes can be searched at the ScotlandsPeople website. Copies of the register entries may be purchased.
Parish reference number: 446
The Old Parish Registers (OPRs) span the following dates (although there are gaps within these ranges):
Logie OPR Births / baptisms Proclamations / marriages Deaths / burials / mortcloths 446/1 1660-1819 1660-1819 1780-1819 446/2 1820-1854 1820-1854 1820-1851
(Data supplied by the National Records of Scotland) The Detailed List of the Old Parochial Registers of Scotland, published 1872, provides this information about the content of the OPRs, including the gaps within them:
B. and M. intermixed till 1817, and D. (Burials) also mixed up with them 1780 - 1817. After 1817, separate Records of B. M. and D. Mothers' names seldom recorded in entries of B. till Dec. 1799. The fact of Marriage often not added to the entries of Contract 1793 - 1817 incl.
Copies of the registers on microfilm may be consulted in some local libraries and at LDS Family Search Centres around the world. The indexes to baptisms / births and proclamations / marriages can also be searched on the LDS Family Search website or on the IGI on microfiche in local libraries.
LDS Library Film Numbers:
1040189 Items 3 - 4 Session book (baptisms, marriage proclamations), 1660-1710; Baptisms, marriages, 1710-1861; Burials, 1780-1851.
(Data provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints) Deaths / burials are listed on Fife Family History Society's Pre-1855 Fife Deaths CD.
Further information on the main Fife page.
Kirk Session records are held at the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. Some Kirk Session material is to be found in the OPR records (446/1).
Heritors' Records (HR521) are at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh.
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library, with digital copies of the earlier volumes at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:
- CH2/767
Logie Kirk Session (Cupar)
Minutes, 1710-1803, 1833, 1844; Accounts, 1710-1787, 1916-1925; Collections, 1942-1961; Minutes and accounts concerning church and vestry improvements (1902-1903), organ installation (1910); Certificates of transference of membership, 1920; Logie manse and school water supply papers, 1911-1915; Report on condition of church and manse of Logie parish to Presbytery, with plans, 1926.Included in the Old Parochial Registers on microfilm and at the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh but not online:
- 446/1
Logie Kirk Session
Collections, 1660-1710At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:
- HR/521
Logie parish heritors' records
Minutes, 1846-1928; Accounts, 1846-1930; Cash book, 1900-1930; Papers relating to buildings, 1902-1930; Papers relating to transfer of property to Church of Scotland, 1927-1929; Letter books, 1900-1930.
Other Churches:
At the Special Collections Dept. of St Andrews University Library:
- CH3/1119
Logie & Gauldry United Free Church, Gauldry Church of Scotland
Minutes, 1848-1901; Deacons' court minutes, 1843-1901; Communion rolls, 1852-1920; Register of baptisms, 1873-1892; Collections and cash book, 1843-1904; Cash book, 1847-1909; Sustentation fund cash book, 1854-1890; Collections, 1848-1853; Copy of presentation album to Rev G R Sommerville, 1902.At the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh:
- CH3/1119
Logie & Gauldry United Free Church, Gauldry C. of S.
Minutes, 1902-1938; Deacons' court minutes, 1910-1938; Communion roll, 1919-1937.The Logie page of the LDS Family Search Research Wiki has more information about church history and records.
Registration of Births, Marriages and Deaths began in Scotland on 1st January 1855. Full information on the main Fife page.
Registration districts covering this parish:
Registration district | number | start date | end date |
Logie | 446 | 1855 | 1967 |
Cupar | 420 | 1968 | 1971 |
Cupar | 417 | 1972 | 2002 |
Fife | 417 | 2003 |
Registration districts did not necessarily coincide exactly with parishes. In the 20th century especially, there were frequent changes in registration districts.
Westwood's Parochial Directory for the Counties of Fife and Kinross for 1862 and 1866 are online at Google Books. On the Records pages of the Fife Family History Society website there is a transcription of the 1862 edition.
Several old gazetteers are available. They all contain descriptions of the parish and many are also worth searching for entries of places within the parish.
- David Webster's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1819, online at Google Books.
- Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of Scotland, published 1846, online at British History Online.
- Barbieri's Descriptive and Historical Gazetteer of the Counties of Fife, Kinross and Clackmannan, published 1857, is at Google Books.
- Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4) and John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887), are on A Vision of Britain (click on "Historical places and writing").
- Frances Groome's Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland(1892-6) on Electric Scotland
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Logie to another place.
A Vision of Britain provides historical descriptions, population & housing statistics, historic boundaries and maps.
Details of historic buildings and archaeological sites in this parish held by the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Edinburgh, are catalogued at ScotlandsPlaces. In the results, click RCAHMS. Unfortunately, not all entries have digital images.
Historic maps:
- On-line maps:
- National Library of Scotland map collection - main page
- For 17th, 18th and early 19th century maps, see the National Library of Scotland map collection.
- Using the geo-referenced maps at the National Library of Scotland allows historic maps to be viewed on top of a modern map or satellite view
- Ordnance Survey 6-inch, 1st edition (1855) Fife sheet 6 at the National Library of Scotland (for the best images), or at old-maps.co.uk or British History online.
- Ordnance Survey 6-inch editions of 1895 and 1920 at old-maps.co.uk.
- Ordnance Survey 25-inch editions of 1894 and 1914 at old-maps.co.uk.
- A Vision of Britain has the Ordnance Survey 1-inch, 1st edition (1850s) and the Ordnance Survey 1-inch, Popular edition (1920s) - both showing parish boundaries; Land Utilisation mapping (1930s); and more.
- Ordnance Survey 1-inch, 1st edition (1888-1890) sheets 48 & 49; 2nd edition (1899-1904) sheets 48 & 49; and 3rd edition (1907-1908) sheets 48 & 49 at the National Library of Scotland.
- Ordnance Survey 1-inch, Popular edition (1927) sheet 64 at the National Library of Scotland.
- Ordnance Survey 1-inch, 7th series (1950s-1960s) sheet 56 at the National Library of Scotland.
- Paper maps:
- The National Library of Scotland sells paper and digital copies of their maps (select "Enquiries & copies").
- The Caledonian Maps Victorian Ordnance Survey Map Series sheet 41 (reprint of the 1899/1904 1-inch maps).
- Old-maps.co.uk sell paper copies of all their on-line maps.
- Ordnance Survey 1-inch, 7th series (1950s-1960s) sheet 56
- The best collection of large scale local and estate maps and plans is held by the National Records of Scotland, Edinburgh. The RCAHMS also has some plans. They are catalogued on the ScotlandsPlaces website. N.B. Only a few maps and plans are available as digital images.
Present-day maps:
- On-line maps:
- National Library of Scotland map collection - main page
- Streetmap
- Ordnance Survey maps
- Paper maps:
- Ordnance Survey Landranger (scale 1:50000 - about 1 inch to 1 mile) sheet 59 - St Andrews
- Ordnance Survey Explorer (larger scale 1:25000 - about 2 and a half inches to 1 mile) sheet 371 - St Andrews and East Fife
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference NO400209 (Lat/Lon: 56.376264, -2.973692), Logie which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
Andrew Campbell has produced Fife Deaths from Newspapers 1822-1854 - a compilation of deaths recorded in local newspapers. Copies of this index are held by the Fife libraries and the Family History Societies.
Fife Deaths Abroad 1855-1900 - a compilation of overseas deaths recorded in Fife newspapers - has been produced by Andrew Campbell of Fife Family History Society. The Society have re-published it in their Publications Series, 28.
The relief of paupers after 1845 was carried out by the Parochial Board and later by the Parish Council. Their records are at the Fife Council Archive Centre. See Public Records below.
Year | Population |
1755 | 413 |
1801 | 339 |
1851 | 467 |
1901 | 285 |
1951 | 299 |
There is a page with census statistics from 1755 to 1961 here.
See also A Vision of Britain and Histpop for population statistics.
Probate records are 'Confirmations' in Scotland.
Prior to 1824, wills, testaments & inventories of residents of Logie may be found in either the St Andrews Commissariot (CC20) or the Edinburgh Commissariot (CC8) records. From 1824, commissary business has been conducted by the Sheriff Court of Fife at Cupar (SC20).
Indexes and finding aids are given on the main Fife page.
Local sources worth searching for deeds include St Andrews Commissary Court and Cupar Sheriff Court.
Parochial Boards and their successors, Parish Councils, administered many local functions including poor relief.
At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:
- FCC/6/43
Logie Parish Council
Minute books, 1895-1930.
School Board Records and school logbooks are held at the Fife Council Archive Centre. Logie records:
At the Fife Council Archive Centre, Kirkcaldy:
- Logie School
Log books, 1873-1970; Admissions Registers, 1935-1969; School Board Minute Books, 1873-1919.
Entries less than 50 years old may contain sensitive personal information and are not on open access. If you are a former pupil you are entitled to see your own entry. Please contact the Archivist for further details.
Education statistics for Fife schools in 1891-2 list the following board schools in the parish:
School Board | School | Accommodation for scholars | Average attendance |
Logie | Logie | 72 | 51 |
"Statistical accounts" giving fascinating insights into the local topography and history, social and economic conditions, and even the daily lives of people, were written by the parish ministers in the 1790s and the 1840s. For more information see the main Fife pages
- The 'Old' Statistical Account is at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland and Google Books.
- The 'New' Statistical Account is also at The Statistical Accounts of Scotland and Google Books.
The hearth tax, clock & watch tax, male servants tax, female servants tax, and farm horse tax are all on ScotlandsPlaces.
See also the Early Taxation Records page.