Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Blymhill
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
"Blymhill is a small and scattered village, six miles WNW of Brewood, comprising within its parish the hamlet of Brineton, and 633 inhabitants, with about 2900 acres of land, most of which has a strong loamy soil. The commons, called the Heath and the Lawn, were enclosed about 40 years ago.
The mansion called the High Hall, now occupied by a farmer, is seated on a beautiful eminence, and supposed to have been the residence of William Bagot, who was lord of Blymhill, in the reign of Henry II. Fras.Yates, Esq, and a few smaller owners, have estates in the parish.
Brineton contains a few farm houses and several cottages, one mile north of Blymhill, and supports its poor jointly with the rest of the parish. It is watered by two rivulets, one of which gives name to two farms called Brockhurst."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851]
Hide
'Some Account of the Manor & Parish of Blymhill in the County of Stafford (with Genealogical Tables)'
by Hon George Thomas Orlando
Published in two parts 1880, 1881.
Blymhill, Church of England |
"The Church, St Mary, was all rebuilt, except the tower and chancel, in 1719, and has 4 bells and 300 sittings.
The rectory is in the patronage of the Earl of Bradford, the lord of the manor. The Rev. JH Dickinson, MA, is the incumbent, and has a large Rectory House. A late incumbent, the Rev Samuel Dickenson, was a learned and ingenious naturalist."
[From History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire, William White, Sheffield, 1851)
Church of England Registers
The parish register of the parish church of St Mary commences in 1561. The original registers for the period 1561-1971 (Bapts), 1561-1985 (Mar) & 1561-1989 (Bur) and Banns for the period 1754-1817 & 1823-71 are deposited at Staffordshire Record Office.
Bishops Transcripts, 1661-1868 (with gaps 1663 & 1667-8) are deposited at Lichfield Record Office.
A transcript of the register of St Mary for the period 1561-1812 (Bapts, Mar & Bur) was published by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society in 1914, and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH.
A transcript of the register of St Mary for the period 1813-1837 was published by the Staffordshire Parish Registers Society and has been reprinted by the Birmingham & Midland SGH in a compilation of Armitage, Blymhill and Himley parish registers.
A transcription of the section on Blymhill from A Topographical History of Staffordshire by William Pitt (1817)
Conservation Area Appraisals for Blymhill - interesting accounts of the areas, with excellent historical detail, numerous photographs and maps.
A Directory of Blymhill in 1896 from Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire
The transcription of the section for Blymhill from the Topographical Dictionary of England (1859)
The transcription of the section for Blymhill from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
The transcription of the section for Blymhill from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Blymhill to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ809124 (Lat/Lon: 52.708924, -2.284138), Blymhill which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
A transcription of the Muster Roll of 1539 for Blymhill
The parish became part of Shiffnall Union following the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834.
A transcription of the Hearth Tax Returns 1666 for Blymhill