Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Wormegay
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
"WORMEGAY, or Wermegay, is a small dispersed village, 6 miles S.S.E. of Lynn, lying on the south side of the navigable river Nar. Its parish extends to Setch bridge, and contains 330 inhabitants, and 2,749 acres of land, of which Daniel Henry Lee-Warner, Esq., is principal owner, and lord of the manor; but W.W. Lee-Warner, Esq., is impropriator of the tithes. This lordship was anciently held by the Bardolphs and Warrens; the former of whom had a castle here, of which the moat still remains; and the latter founded a priory near the village, in the reign of King John, for Austin canons; but a farm-house now occupies its site, which was granted at the dissolution to the Bishop of Norwich, together with the advowson of the CHURCH, (St. Michael,) . . . Here is a National School, built in 1839." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Hide
- 1821: Heads of households.
- 1891: Surname List (this is a link to an archived copy)
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Censuses
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Fincham, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk.
It could have been in a different deanery or archdeaconry both before and after this date. - The parish church is dedicated to St Michael.
- Marriages
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Church Records
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Wormegay was in Downham Registration District.
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1854: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (this is a link to an archived copy)
- 1864: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk (this is a link to an archived copy)
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wormegay to another place.
Wormegay is in Clackclose Hundred.
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Clackclose Hundred
- Description of Clackclose Hundred
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- Wormegay Castle
- Picture of the site.
- Drainage
- See East Winch.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF662118 (Lat/Lon: 52.678464, 0.456361), Wormegay which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- After 1834 Wormegay became part of the Downham Union, and the workhouse was at Downham Market.