Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Wiggenhall St German
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide














Hide
Hide
"WIGGENHALL ST. GERMAIN is a village and parish, on both sides of the Great Ouse river, where there is an ancient wooden bridge, 4 miles S.W. by S. of Lynn. It contains 625 inhabitants, and 1,219 acres of land, of which 1,031A. are on the west, and 188A. on the east side of the river, which, a little below the village, is diverted into a new channel, called the Eau-Brink-Cut. . . . Above and below the bridges, the river-banks were . . . straightened by the commissioners of the navigation, at a considerable expense, in 1835, . . . Edward Helsham Browne, Esq., is lord of the manor of Fitton, which comprises the four Wiggenhalls; and he is proprietor of about two-thirds of this parish. The other principal landowners are, Mr. Jarman Patrick; the Rev. J. Royle; the Corporation of Lynn, (137A.;) and Cphr. Carter, Esq. The Hundred Court was anciently held at Fitton Oak, about half a mile west of the village. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Germain, has a square tower, with four bells. . . . The living is a vicarage, valued in the King's Book at £6, and in 1831, at £108. It is enjoyed by the Rev. Thos. Berkley Greaves, of Blofield, for whom the Rev. J. Bransby, of Lynn, officiates." [William White, History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk (1845) - Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]
Hide
Wiggenhall St German is also called Wiggenhall St Germans and Wiggenhall St Germain.
See also Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen, Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin, and Wiggenhall St Peter.
Hide
- 1851-1891: Census Transcripts and Village Notes (Brian Kell). [Publisher unknown]
- 1891: Surname List (this is a link to an archived copy)
- In 1883 the parish was in the Deanery of Lynn Marshland, in the archdeaconry of Norwich.
- The parish church is dedicated to St German, or St Germain.
- Church of St German
- Description and pictures.
- Church of St German
- Description of the bells and picture of the church.
- Marriages
- These are not included in Boyd's Marriage Index or Phillimore's Marriage Registers.
For the civil registration of births, marriages and deaths between 1837 and 1930 (and for the censuses from 1851 to 1901), Wiggenhall St German was in Downham Registration District.
- 1845: White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk
- 1883: Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk (this is a link to an archived copy)
See also Norfolk Parish Links: Directories
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Wiggenhall St German to another place.
Wiggenhall St German is in Freebridge Marshland hundred.
- Inclosure and Drainage
- See Wiggenhall St Mary Magdalen
- Parish outline and location.
- See Parish Map for Downham Registration District, 1836 (this is a link an archived copy)
- and nearby places.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF599142 (Lat/Lon: 52.702031, 0.364435), Wiggenhall St German which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- After 1834 Wiggenhall St German became part of the Downham Union, and the workhouse was at Downham Market.