Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Welby
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
“WELBY, a parish in the wapentake of Winnibriggs, parts of Kesteven, county Lincoln, 4½ miles N.E. of Grantham. The village is situated in a vale, near the line of the ancient Ermine Street. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lincoln, value £600, in the patronage of the Prebendary of South Grantham, in Salisbury Cathedral. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. The parochial charities produce about £60 per annum, of which £25 belong to Dodwell's school and almshouses. The principal seat is Denton Hall, the property of Sir Glynne E. Welby, Bart., who is lord of the manor."
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
The Library at Grantham will prove useful in your research.
- The parish was in the Grantham sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
- In 1891, when the district was re-organized, this parish became part of the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 624 |
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2103 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2352 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3363 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2586 |
Main Street, Welby, Methodist (Wesleyan) |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Bartolomew (sometimes given as "Bartholomew").
- The church appears to date from late Norman times.
- The nave was rebuilt around 1500.
- The church was restored in 1846.
- The church seats 240.
- A photograph of Saint Bartolomew's church is at the Wendy PARKINSON English Church Photographs site.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. Bartolomew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2006.
- Here is a photo of St. Bartolomew Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

- The Anglican parish register exists from 1562 (some sources give 1569).
- The LFHS has published several indexes for the Loveden Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has a Loan Library service which has the parish registers on microfiche for baptisms and Marriages from 1570 to 1812.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1866. That chapel has since been converted to private use. For information and assistance in researching this chapel, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Ian PATERSON has a photograph of the old Wesleyan Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2007.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Grantham sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
- In 1891, when the district was re-organized, this parish became part of the Grantham North sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
This village and parish are just 4 miles east-northeast of Grantham, off the A52 trunk road to the north. Londonthorpe parish lies to the west, separated from Welby by the old Roman Road "Ermine Street". The parish covers just over 2,700 acres.
The village of Welby sits in a small vale. If you are planning a visit:
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Welby to another place.
- Welby held an annual Parish Feast. Here is an undated photo, circa 1890, of the men and boys of Welby gathered for the feast. Note the references to the NORTHING family. Also, all the men appear to be wearing white gloves and a ribbon on their chest. Photo provided by Dorothy Wainwright.

- See our Maps page for resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK975384 (Lat/Lon: 52.933793, -0.551119), Welby which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
For a photograph of the Welby War Memorial and to see the list of names on it, see the Roll of Honour site.
- In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is rendered as Welle+bi, from the Old Scandinavian "village by a spring".
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Aswardhurn Wapentake in the South Kesteven district in the parts of Kesteven.
- Kelly's 1900 Directory of Lincolnshire reports that the parish is in the Winnibriggs and Threo Wapentake.
- For today's district governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spittlegate (Grantham) petty session hearings.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1776.
- In 1780, four almshouses were established here by William WELBY.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Reform Act, the parish became part of the Grantham Poor Law Union.
Year Inhabitants 1801 236 1811 275 1821 236 1831 377 1841 475 1851 481 1861 499 1871 490 1881 390 1891 376 1901 385 1911 386 1971 137
- The first school was established here in 1780 by William WELBY. His intent was to teach ten poor children from the parish.
- That school was rebuilt here in 1869 and enlarged in 1887 to seat 95 children.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.