Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Stroxton
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide

















Hide
Hide
hide
Hide
“STROXTON, a parish in the wapentake of Winnibrigs, parts of Kesteven, county Lincoln, 4 miles S.W. of Grantham, its post town. In the vicinity are three springs, which are the means of supplying the Grantham water-works. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln, value £306. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains a piscina of great antiquity, also a monument to Sir G. E. Welby. Sir G. E. Welby, Bart., is lord of the manor. There is a school for both sexes, on the National system."
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
- The parish was in the Denton sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
- In 1891 this parish was re-allocated to the new "Grantham South" sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 622 |
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2102 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2348 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3357 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2583 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church dates from Norman times. The church was larger in earlier centuries, leading one to speculate that the village was more prominent then.
- The church was restored in 1874-5 and rebuilt on the ancient foundations. The church tower was also rebuilt.
- The church seats 100 people.
- There is a photo of All Saints Church at Wendy PARKINSON's site.
- Here is a photo of All Saints Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

- Anglican parish registers exist from 1735. Bishop's Transcripts go back to 1562.
- The I.G.I. has the following batch numbers for Stroxton records: C031871 for 1754-1839, E031871 and C031872 for 1562-1565, 1585-1640, 1661-1752, M031871 for 1562-1565, 1585-1640, 1661-1812 and M031872 for 1813-1839
- The Family History Library in Salt Lake City has baptisms, burials and marriages for 1562-1565, 1585-1640, and 1661-1839 on fiche 6907997 and 6907998.
- The Lincolnshire Archives hold a copy of the Parish Register for 1735-1789 (STROXTON PAR/23/2).
- The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Grantham Deanery to make your search easier. The church is part of the Harlaxton group of that Deanery.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Denton sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
- In 1891 this parish was re-allocated to the new "Grantham South" sub-district of the Grantham Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which started in July, 1837.
Stroxton is both a small village and a small parish. The parish is a narrow dale about three miles south of Grantham just west of the A1 motorway. The parish is bounded on the north-west by Harlaxton, to the north-east by Little Ponton, to the south-east by Great Ponton and to the south-west by Wyville parish. The parish only covers about 990 acres.
The parish has three copious springs which help to supply Grantham with water.
The small village of Stroxton is often unnamed on many maps, as it is just a hamlet now. If you are planning a visit:
- Take the A1 Motorway south out of Grantham and turn west where it joins the B1174. The village is about a mile ahead.
- The parish has a Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust "Protected Roadside Verge".
- Geograph has a photograph of the village nested in a vale.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stroxton to another place.
- In 1841, Sir William Earle WELBY owned the land in the parish and was lord of the manor.
- In 1871, Sir Glynne Earle WELBY-GREGORY, baronet, owned the land in the parish and was lord of the manor.
- In 1900, Sir Charles Glynne Earle WELBY, baronet, was the sole landowner in the parish and was lord of the manor. He is so listed in 1913, as well.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK905312 (Lat/Lon: 52.870477, -0.656862), Stroxton which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Tim HEATON has a photograph of a WW II Pillbox on Stroxton Lane on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2007.
- The name derives from the Old English Strox+tun, meaning "estate or farm in the marsh". In 1066 it was rendered as Strothistune and for the 1086 Domesday Book as Stroustune. In 1185 is was recorded as Stroweston.
Ken Cameron, "A Dictionary of Lincolnshire Place Names" - Anne COLE of Lincolnshire tells us that the locals pronounce the name as "Strowston", which is closer to the 1185 spelling.
- White's 1841 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ARNOLD, BLANKNEY, BRICE, FRYER, HIND, LYNN and VOCE.
- White's 1871 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: ARNOLD, BASS, BLANKLEY, HIND, LYNN and VOCE.
- Kelley's 1900 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BASS, HIND, JACKSON, LANGHAM, VOCE and WOOD.
- Kelley's 1913 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: JACKSON, LANGHAM, WATSON and WOOD.
- Kelley's 1930 Directory lists the following surnames in the parish: BAKER, GOODACRE, JACKSON, WATSON and WOOD.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Winnibrggs and Threo Wapentake in the South Kesteven district in the parts of Kesteven.
- The parish is also within the boundaries of the Grantham Soke.
- For today's district governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.
- In April, 1931, this Civil Parish was abolished and merged to create Little Ponton and Stroxton Civil Parish.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spittlegate (Grantham) petty session hearings.
- As a result of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Grantham Poor Law Union.
- A National School was first built here in 1851.
- The Lincolnshire Archives hold a copy of the School managers' minute book (STROXTON PAR/16/1).
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.