Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Stenigot
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
“STENIGOT, a parish in the N. division of Gartree wapentake, parts of Lindsey, county Lincoln, 6 miles S.W. of Louth, its post town. The village is situated on the Wolds, near the river Bain, and is wholly agricultural. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln, value £222. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. R. W. and R. G. Chatterton, Esqs., are lords of the manor and principal landowners."
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
The Library at Louth will prove useful in your research.
- There are a small number of gravestones around the church.
- David HITCHBORNE has a photograph of St. Nicholas Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2004.
- The parish is in the Binbrook sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
- The North Lincolnshire Library holds a copy of the parish census returns for 1841 and 1881.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2112 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2384 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3406 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2609 |
- The Anglican Church is dedicated to Saint Nicholas.
- The original church was described in early Directories as a small, plain building.
- A new church, of red brick, was erected in 1892. Part of the old church was retained as a mortuary chapel.
- The church itself seats about 60.
- A photograph of the parish church is at the Wendy PARKINSON English Church Photographs site.
- Here is a photo of St. Nicholas Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

- Parish register entries start in 1562.
- Burial register entries for 1814-2000 are included in the National Burial Index (NBI).
- We have a list of Rectors for 1500 - 1740 which you might find useful.
- The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Horncastle Deanery to make your search easier.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- Around 1701, there were reportedly about 16 "Dissenters" who attended baptist services at Goulceby. For more on these Non-conformists, see our Non-Conformist Church Records page for additional resources.
- The parish was in the Binbrook sub-district of the Louth Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Stenigot is a parish about seven miles southwest of Louth and a mile southeast of Donington on Bain parish. The parish covered about 1,400 acres of the Wolds in 1805. In White's 1842 Directory, the parish is described as "a picturesque parish of scattered houses and cottages," near the head of a rivulet (unnamed). At that time it consisted primarily of three farms. The parish includes the hamlet of Cold Harbour.
The parish name does not appear on most maps as there is no central village, as such. If you are planning a visit:
- By car, take the A157 northeast out of Wragby toward Louth. Take the B125 south and follow the signs for Donington on Bain. Pass through that village heading south. About a mile south of Donington on Bain and you are in Stenigot parish.
- Birdwatching is popular in this rural parish. See if you can spot a Honey Buzzard.
- The landscape is one of hills, small woods and hedgerows, and Wildlife abounds.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stenigot to another place.
- By 1872, the three farms had been consolidated into one larger farm. The area of the parish had been shrunk to 1,321 acres, also.
- Chris ? has a photograph of The Memorial to Sir John Guevara on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2013.
- In 1842, the chief landowners were Samuel ROWE and Geo. Mdk. ALINGTON.
- In 1872 and 1882, the sole landowner was William CHATTERTON, lord of the manor.
- In 1900, the sole landowners were Richard and Robert CHATTERTON, lords of the manor. They are so listed in 1909, as well.
- In 1913, the sole landowner was Col. Henry Thomas FENWICK, lord of the manor.
- We have a photograph of Stenigot House on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2008.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF255813 (Lat/Lon: 53.314006, -0.116987), Stenigot which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The War Memorial was unveiled on 28 February 1923, honouring five local men who died during the First World War.
- Stenigot was the site for erecting one of the World War Two Chain Home radar stations.
- It is currently used for the RAF climbing aptitude test. It is possible, from the top of the old steel radar tower, to see the North Sea, Lincoln Cathedral and the Humber bridge.
- Pat HORTON provides a photograph from International Bomber Command of the Chain Home radar tower:

Colonel Henry Thomas FENWICK:
- Colonel Henry Thomas FENWICK CMG MVO DSO was a British army officer and Liberal Party politician. Born: Dec 20, 1863 in Durham co., England, Died: Aug 30, 1939.
- Fenwick was the son of Henry FENWICK and Jane Lutwidge Cookson, and entered the army in 1885.
- In 1899 he was again in active service, as 2nd in Command of the Royal Horse Guards.
- He served with the regiment during the Second Boer War in South Africa 1899–1901, was mentioned in despatches, and appointed a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (DSO) for his services in November 1900.
- He served as Commander of the Royal Horse Guards after the war.
- Just prior to World War One, he is living in Stenigot parish.
- He is buried in Cape Town, South Africa.
Names on the War Memorial are:
- Ancliff, John William
- Bogg, Charles Frederick
- Coupland, Henry
- Smith, Henry William Stones
- Wiles, Thomas Henry
- The origin of the name is unknown. It may derive from the Old English stan, meaning "stone" coupled with Old Scandinavian gat for "pass", giving us something like "stoney pass" as the meaning, but this is speculation.
- The parish/village name often appears with two Ns as in "Stennigot".
- White's 1842 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Wm. DANBY, Thos. MOSES and David TRAVES, all farmers.
- White's 1872 Directory lists the following names in the parish: William CHATTERTON, Robert GAMBLE, Joseph INGAMELLS and Philip KEMP.
- White's 1882 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Rev. Richard Pye ALLINGTON, William CHATTERTON, Robert GAMBLE, Joseph INGAMELLS and Dobson ULIYETT. The reverend ALLINGTON (or ALINGTON as sometimes spelled) resides in Swinhope parish.
- Kelly's 1900 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Richard and Robert CHATTERTON.
- Kelly's 1913 Directory lists the following names in the parish: Charles William BURKS and Col. Henry Thomas FENWICK.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- For governance, the parish was in the ancient Gartree Wapentake in the East Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- The citizens of Stenigot parish have elected not to have a formal council, but they do have periodic Parish Meetings to discuss civil and political issues.
- For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Horncastle petty session hearings every Saturday.
- There are no known surviving settlement certificates (bastardy documents) for this parish.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, the parish became part of the Louth Poor Law Union.
The parish almost doubled its population between 1831 and 1841, but no reason is known.
Year Inhabitants 1801 73 1831 89 1841 169 1871 93 1881 89 1891 101 1901 98 1911 96 1921 99 1971 57
- The children of this parish attend school at Donington on Bain or Goulceby.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.