Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Old Sleaford
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
Hide
The Library at Sleaford will prove useful in your research..
In 1882, during construction of a new railway station, a large Anglo-Saxon cemetery of some 600 burials was found south of the town.
- The parish was in the Sleaford sub-district of the Sleaford Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 622 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2343 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3350 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2578 |
- Old Sleaford Anglican Church was dedicated to Saint Giles.
- There was also an ancient church, dedicated to All Saints, which was in existance until about 1500.
- The church was demolished around 1640.
- One would be wise to check the church records for the adjacent parish of Quarrington. Quarrington was the "mother" parish for Old Sleaford, according to some sources.
- Old Sleaford is on the I.G.I. for 1561 through 1776 (with gaps).
- The LFHS has published several marriage and burial indexes for the Lafford Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Independent (baptist) Chapel was built in 1808.
- Jonathan THACKER has a photograph of the Former Baptist Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2017.
- For information and assistance in researching this chapel, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Sleaford sub-district of the Sleaford Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Old Sleaford is both an ancient parish and the southern and eastern part of the town of Sleaford, across the Slea River from New Sleaford. The parish covers about 875 acres between the Slea River and the Boston Road.
If you are planning a visit:
- A Roman Road used to run through the village from Tattershall to Ancaster. You will find the A163 trunk road an easier route by automobile. The A17 passes just north and the A15 just west of the village.
- Check the Sleaford Town Council website.
- Ian PATERSON has a photograph of the River Slea where it bisects Old and New Sleaford on Geo-graph, taken in 2007.
- Visit our Transport page to find bus and car hire services.
- See our touring page for more sources.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Old Sleaford to another place.
- Old Sleaford was probably a tribal centre of the iron-age Corieltauvi.
- In 1086, William the Conqueror gave the manor of "Eslaforde" to Remigius de Fecamp.
- Around 1130, Bishop ALexander of Lincoln had a castle built just southeast of town in what is now called "Castle Fields". The castle was demolished before 1600.
- The Sleaford Navigation Canal was opened in 1794. It closed in 1878 as more trade moved by rail.
- During 1829 thru 1831, the street pattern of the town was reworked and relaid, drains were put in and the Town Hall built.
- Old Sleaford is an ancient parish, but was ecclesiastically united with Quarington parish before 1841.
- Robert EVA has a photograph of the White Horse Public House on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2020. It is reputedly a good place to catch up on local history.
- The knightley family of HUSSEY were long seated at Old Sleaford.
- The Manor House here was rebuilt in 1500 by baron HUSSEY. The site of the old mansion is called Old Place.
- Robert EVA has a photograph of Old Place on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2020.
- John Lord HUSSEY was beheaded in Lincoln in 1536 for treason in the revolt against Henry VIII.
- See our "Maps" page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF069458 (Lat/Lon: 52.998876, -0.408726), Old Sleaford which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The name first appears as "Slioford" in 852.
- "Old Sleaford" was formerly the other half of one manor, called Eslaforde in the 1086 Domesday Book.
"Malting" or beer-making was a major source of employment in Old Sleaford. There is a section of town called "The Maltings". Stefan CZAPSKI has a photograph of the Bass Maltings on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- Old Sleaford traditionally has been the northern border of the Aswardhurn Wapentake.
- Old Sleaford was transferred around 1840 to the ancient Flaxwell Wapentake in the North Kesteven division of the county, parts of Kesteven.
- In March, 1888, this Civil Parish gave a portion of land to Quarrington Civil Parish.
- In 1908, the parish boundaries changed when part of New Sleaford was transferred to Old Sleaford.
- For today's district governance, contact the North Kesteven District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Sleaford petty session hearings every Monday.
- Carr's Hospital was founded in 1636 by Sir Robert CARR. It was dedicated for the residence and maintenance of 12 poor men of the surrounding parishes. The hopital was built near the church. It functioned more as an almshouse than a modern hospital.
- In 1604, Robert CARRE of Aswarby provided a fund for the relief of the poor, aged and disabled people of New and Old Sleaford and Holdingham.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1777.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish became part of the Sleaford Poor Law Union.