Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Immingham
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
hide
- Maps
- Medical Records
- Migration, Internal◬
- Military History
- Military Records
- Names, Geographical◬
- Names, Personal◬
- Naturalisation & Citizenship◬
- Newspapers◬
- Occupations◬
- Politics & Government
- Poor Houses, Poor Law
- Population
- Postal & Shipping Guides◬
- Probate Records◬
- Public Records◬
- Schools
- Societies◬
- Voting Registers◬
Hide
Immingham, par. and vil., N. Lincolnshire, 7½ miles NW. of Grimsby, 3,715 ac. (520 water), pop. 270.
From: John BARTHOLOMEW's "Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887)"
Hide
Immingham has its own library, normally open six days per week:
- Immingham Library and Museum
- Civic Centre
- Pelham Road
- DN40 1QF
- +44 1472 323631
The Grimsby Library is an excellent resource with both a Local History section and a Family History section.
Alternatively, the Caistor Library also has a Local History section.
- Mary LEITCH, "What Happened to Joe?: Immingham's War Dead Remembered", publ. 1995, Workers' Educational Assoc., 72 pages, ISBN 978-0952425915.
- Alan TAILBY, "The Story of a Village, a History of Immingham", publ. 1970. Mr. Tailby gives an insight into the medieval history of Immingham and North Lincolnshire.
Ian S. has a photograph of the Mill Lane cemetery, west of the town, on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2010.
- The parish was in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
- In 1890, the Caistor Registration District was split in two and this parish became part of the new Grimsby Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 638 |
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2113 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2391 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3417 |
1881 | R.G. 11 / 3275 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2620 |
- The Anglican Parish Church is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
- The church dates from the Norman era, but no precise year is given.
- The church was restored during 1887-90.
- The church seats 220.
- There is a photograph of St. Andrew's church on the Wendy PARKINSON Church Photos web site.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of St. Andrew's church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
- Richard CROFT also has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
- Here is a photo of St. Andrew's Church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

- We have a handful of parish register extracts in a text file. Your additions are welcome.
- CAUTION: Bernie Kettlewell reports that there is a serious discrepancy in the IGI records included for the period 1700-1753. It contains a significant number (38) of marriages additional to those in the PR. Anne Cole investigated and found that these additional marriages actually took place at Ingham in Lawres Deanery.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes and a 1641/2 Protestation Return for the Haverstoe Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here before 1842 and rebuilt in 1883. The Primitive Methodists erected a chapel in 1910. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Joathan THACKER has a photograph of the modern Roman Catholic Church on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2011.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Grimsby sub-district of the Caistor Registration District.
- In 1890, the Caistor Registration District was split in two and this parish became part of the Grimsby Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Immingham is both a village and a parish in the north of Lincolnshire, on the banks of the River Humber. It sits 7 miles north-west of Grimsby and south-east of Killingholme. Habrough parish lies to the west and Stallingborough parish to the south. The parish covers about 4,200 acres and includes the hamlet of Roxton about 1.5 miles south of the village.
If you are planning a visit:
- See our touring page for visitor services.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"ROXTON, a hamlet in the parish of Immingham, county Lincoln, 7 miles N.E. of Caistor."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Immingham to another place.
- There are two abandoned sites of medieval villages in the parish: that of the village of Immingham, north-west of the modern town, near St Andrew's Church; and Roxton in the southern extremity of the parish.
- The Pilgrim Fathers left from the bank of the Humber at a place called Immingham Creek to Holland in 1608. The actual spot was marked by a memorial which was erected in 1924. The granite top stone of the memorial was taken from Plymouth Rock, Mass, and presented by the Sulgrave Institution. The memorial was erected by the Anglo-American Society of Hull. The memorial became surrounded by industry as the Immingham dock area expanded and was moved in 1970 to its present site in a small park opposite the church in Immingham. According to Alan TAILBY in his book (See Bibliography) the Pilgrims did hire a boat to take them to Holland from Boston in 1607 but the skipper, after taking their money, betrayed them to the authorities and they were imprisoned for a time. Many of the streets in Immingham are named after the Pilgrims: e.g. Clyfton Crescent and Brewster Avenue.
- Christine HASMAN has a photograph of the Pilgrim Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
- A coastguard station was erected in 1850.
- In 1906, Lady HENDERSON turned the first sod to create the large dock at Immingham. The dock officially opened 6 years later on 22 July, 1912.
- Prior to World War I most of this parish was grazing land.
- The building of the Docks caused a housing boom in Immingham (see the Population table below). Many workers were housed in what, at the time, was called "Tin Town". There is a Tin Town Hertiage Centre on the Pelham Road.
- Rail buffs may wish to poke around the old Locomotive Depot for old stock like this locomotive seen on Geo-graph, taken in September, 1947.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Bluestone Inn on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2006.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TA182148 (Lat/Lon: 53.616288, -0.213976), Immingham which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The Immingham Isolation Hospital was still operating in 1930. I could find no other material on the Hospital. There are no patient records in the Archives.
- The Royal Naval Air Service (RNAS) established a balloon base just before the outbreak of World War I.
- The base provided not only barrage balloons to protect the port, but also kite balloons for use by convoy escorts. They also provided balloons wih wicker baskets to take observers up to 3,000 feet to watch for enemy submarines, torpedo tracks and floating mines.
- A few biplanes flew from the base to supplement the observers, but there were not any extensive military flights.
- The newly-formed RAF took over the base in April, 1918 until its closure shortly after the war.
- During WWI, Immingham served as a base for British D class submarines.
- During WWII, the drydock at Immingham Dock served to repair many small ships. The Imperial War Museum has a sketches of HMS Ashanti in Drydoc in 1942.
- This image is borrowed from the Grimsby Telegraph archives.
The Imperial War Museum tells us that there are 42 names on the War Memorial plinth, all KIA:
- Aldred, Stephen
- Anderton, Jim
- Barton, Walter
- Birdsell, Norman (BIRDSALL in the CWGC database), 1st/5th Lincs. Regt.
- Boulton, Harry
- Brackenbury, John
- Bullivent, Frank
- Burton, Joseph
- Chafer, John
- Dennis, Jack
- Dixon, Harry
- Flatman, Samuel Alfred, sailer, S.S. Saganaga, of Killingholme, Lincs.
- Goodwin, Stanley L.
- Halliwell, Henry
- Hanscombe, Stanley Leonard, civilian
- Hanton, Arthur A.
- Haw, Charles W.
- Healey, James Barnett
- Hodge, John
- Keenan, Tom D.
- Kirman, Charles H.
- Lambert, William
- Marris, Horace Frost, Royal Engineers
- Marwood, Charles H., 6th Lincs. Regt.
- Mitchell, Harry
- Moore, Edwin, Royal Engineers
- Paske, Joseph
- Petsell, George (PETSEL in CWGC database), 1st/5th Lincs. Regt.
- Pike, Christopher W.
- Potter, Ernest R.
- Raithby, Fr Ed S,
- Rapson, John W.
- Ratcliffe, Ralph, Royal Corps of Signals
- Redhall, Arthur, RFA, 46th Trench Mortar Bty.
- Simpson, William L.
- Smith, Fred
- Smith, George
- Smith, Sidney
- Stamp, Horace
- Walters, John R.
- Willison, Albert. pte., 7th Lincs. Regt.
- Wright, William
Buried in St. Andrew's Churchyard are:
- ATTWOOD, Edward, P. O. Stoker, HMS "Meteor", died 24 Jan 1915. Husband of Maria E. ATTWOOD of Charlton Kings, Cheltenham.
- BAYS, John Whitehorn, stoker, HMS "Albatross", died 27 Nov 1915. Husband of Jane BAYS, South Shields.
- BLAYDON, Charles, stoker 1st cls, HMS "Chester", died 27 Jul 1916. Born at Hereford, son of Mrs. Ada BLAYDON.
- DALTON, Frank Bernard, Stoker 1st Cl., HMS "Teazer", died 22 Oct 1918. Born at Hampstead, London.
- DICKINSON, Arthur, Lt., HMS "Victory", died 01 Jul 1919. Chevalier of the Legion of Honour.
- ELLIOTT, Alfred Edward, leading stoker, HMS "Albatross", died 27 Nov 1915. Son of Richard Thomas and Mary Anne ELLIOTT.
- ENNIS, Charles William, stoker 1st cls, HMS "Ouse", died 29 Jan 1918. Son of Mrs. Elizabeth PHILLIPS, Ilford, Essex.
- HANTON, William Arthur, pte., Devonshire Regt, died 31 Jan 1940. Son of Walter Arthur and Daisy HANTON.
- HATCH, George Cliff, Lieut., HMS "Vehement", died 02 Aug 1918.
- HAYCRAFT, Ernest George, gunner, HMS Beaver II, died 31 Aug 1941. Husband of Elizabeth HAYCROFT, of Hilsea, Portsmouth.
- JACKLIN, Sowersby, cook H.M. Rescue Tug Resolve, died 17 Dec 1946. Husband of Doris JACKLIN, of Immingham.
- JACKSON, Tom Herbert, pte. 4th Marine Light Infantry, died 23 Apr 1918. Son of Thomas and Ellen JACKSON, born at Singleton, Lancs.
- McLEAN, Donald, deck hand, HM Trawler "Ralco", died 27 Feb 1915.
- MILLER, Fred, seaman, HM Trawler "Commander Nasmith", died 03 Aug 1918. Son of Martin and Emma MILLER, of Fogo, Newfoundland.
- MORRISON, William G. T., ldg. seaman, HMS Quorn, died 10 Nov 1942.
- PRIESTLEY, Edward Overand, DSO, Commander, HMS Beaver II, died 30 Mar 1942.
- RIGSBY, Harold Henry, ldg. seaman, HMS "Hardy", died 16 Dec 1914. Born at Garston, Liverpool.
- ROSE, William Henry, P. O. stoker, HMS "Meteor", died 25 Jan 1915 at the battle of Dogger Bank. Son of William Henry and Sarah ROSE, Liverpool.
- SPORLE, Henry, stoker 1st class, HMS "Albatross", died 27 Nov 1915, son of Henry and E. SPORLE, London.
- SYMONS, Gilbert Harold, stoker 1st class, HMS "Gladiolus", died 04 Feb 1917. Son of Henry and Jane SYMONS, Liskeard, Cornwall.
- UPTON, William Aubrey, ldg. stoker, HMS Meteor, died 24 Jan 1915. He died at the battle of Dogger Bank.
- WALSHE, Thomas Hugh Owen, deck hand, H.M. Motor Launch "136", died 13 Jun 1018. Son of the late Peter and Mary WALSHE, Co. Kildare.
- WOOLGAR, George William, able seaman, HMS "Hardy", died 16 Dec 1914.
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincolnshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Yarborough Wapentake in the Central Lindsey district in the parts of Lindsey.
- On 24 March, 1887, this Civil Parish was enlarged by the Newsham with Brocklesby Booth section of Brocklesby Civil Parish.
- On that same date, this Civil Parish was reduced in size by a land transfer to South Killingham Civil Parish.
- You may contact the local Immingham Town Council regarding civic or political issues. Be aware that they can NOT assist with family history research.
- District governance is provided by the North-East Lincolnshire Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Grimsby petty session hearings.
- In 1780, Percival TEAL left 10 shillings per year for the parish poor.
- After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Caistor Poor Law Union.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1840.
- In 1890, this parish was transferred to the new Grimsby Poor Law Union.
In the late medieval period Immingham declined from 66 households in 1523 to 46 in 1723.
Year Inhabitants 1801 144 1831 199 1841 221 1851 242 1871 237 1881 270 1891 262 1901 241 1911 2,681 1921 2,150
- A Council School was built here prior to 1913 to hold 300 children.
- A Public Elementary School was built here in 1913 to hold 300 children. This school reconfigured its teaching focus and became the Oasis Academy Immingham in 2008.
- A comprehensive school opened here in 1936.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.