Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Dry Doddington
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide














Hide
Hide
“DRY DODDINGTON, formerly a parish, now deemed a township, in the parish of Westborough, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven, in the county of Lincoln, 1½ mile S. of Claypole station, and 6 miles S.E. of Newark, its post town. It is situated near the river Witham, and the Great Northern-railway passes through it. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln, annexed to the rectory of the first mediety of Westborough, in the patronage of the Rev. Robert Hall. The church, dedicated to St. James, is an ancient structure, and is a chapel-of-ease to Westborough. The: Wesleyans have a chapel. George Nevile, Esq., is lord of the manor.
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
- The parish was in the Claypole sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2136 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2482 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2716 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint James and is an ancient stucture.
- The church was restored in 1876.
- The church tower has a noticable lean to it (slightly greater than the Tower of Pisa).
- The church is a Grade II listed structure with British Heritage.
- A photograph of the Anglican church is at the Wendy PARKINSON English Church Photographs site.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of St. James' Church on Geo-graph, taken in November, 2005.
- Here is a photo of the church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

- The Anglican parish church has no graveyard, so parishioners bury their dead at Westborough. Be sure to check burial registers from that parish as other Dry Doddington entries often appear there. The "Phillimore Atlas" shows no registers for Dry Doddington.
- The Family History Library holds the Dry Doddignton parish registers on microfilm for 1564 - 1957 under Westborough. Specifics are: Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1564-1734 Baptisms, burials, 1735-1808 Marriages, 1735-1753 Baptisms, burials, 1809-1812 Marriages, 1754-1812 Baptisms, 1813-1872 Marriages, 1813-1957 Burials, 1813-1947; film 1542307 item 3.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has a Loan Library service which has the parish registers on microfiche for baptisms from 1812 to 1846.
- The Lincolnshire FHS has published several marriage indexes for the Loveden Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a small chapel here, built in 1836. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Claypole sub-district of the Newark Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Dry Doddington is a parish and village just east of the River Witham that borders on Balderton parish in Nottinghamshire on the west and Claypole parish to the north. It is just 6 miles SE of Newark-on-Trent and only 9 miles from Grantham. The parish covers about 1,600 acres (some sources give a larger number).
The small village of Dry Doddington is built on a rise on a road between Claypole and Westborough villages. If you are planning a visit:
- Take the A1 motorway north out of Grantham. Turn east off the motorway at Long Bennington.
- Westborough parish lies to the south.
- Visit our touring page for more sources.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dry Doddington to another place.
- Check the history of the Wapentake at the Loveden Wapentake website.
- Electricity came to Dry Doddington in 1946.
- Water mains were installed in Dry Doddington in 1948.
- Adrian S. PYE has a photograph of the Wheatsheaf Inn on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2020.
- The principal landowners in 1871 were George Nevile, Esq., Miss Hall and several small proprietors.
- The principal landowner in 1913 was Sir Ralph Henry Sachevel WILMOT, baronet.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK851467 (Lat/Lon: 53.011117, -0.733252), Dry Doddington which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The church contains a memorial to an Avro Lancaster bomber that crashed near the village on 26 November, 1944.
- You can see this memorial at Bomber History.
- The name Dry Doddington is a combination of Old English dryge and Dodda+ing+tun, for "dry estate of a man called Dodda". In the 1086 Domesday Book, the village name is given as Dodintune.
[A. D. Mills, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991]
- This place was an ancient Chapelry in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish in April, 1931.
- The parish was in the ancient Loveden Wapentake in the South Kesteven division of the county, in the parts of Kesteven.
- In April, 1931, this Chapelry was re-incarnated as the combined Civil Parish of Westborough and Dry Doddington.
- For today's district governance, contact the South Kesteven District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spittlegate (Grantham) petty session hearings.
- Since the enclosure of Common Lands in 1771, the Poor's Land, purchased in 1740, has been used to generate income for the parish poor.
- After the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, the parish became part of the Newark Poor Law Union.
- An unknown donor contributed his 1871 rent income of 4 shillings to the poor.
- The Public Elementary School was built in 1872 to seat 60 children, but only about half that number attended.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.