Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Croft
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
“CROFT, a parish in the hundred of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, in the county of Lincoln, 4¾ miles E. of Firsby railway station, and 4 from Burgh. It is situated on the river Steeping, along the raised road called Croft Bank. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Lincoln, value £480, in the patronage of Lord Monson. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a handsome stone structure in the early English style, and contains a fine screen. The charities amount to £3 per annum. The Wesleyans have a chapel, besides several cottages used as almshouses, and there is a free school. Lord Monson is lord of the manor."
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
All Saints, Croft, Church of England |
- The parish was in the Wainfleet sub-district of the Spilsby Registration District.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 631 |
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2109 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2373 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3390 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2602 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church is built of freestone.
- The church appears to date from the early 15th century, but may have originated in the early 12th century.
- The embattled western tower was restored in 1857.
- The church seats 500.
- There is a photograph of All Saints Church on the Wendy PARKINSON web site under "more Lincolnshire".
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in 2006.
- Here is a photo of the church, taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):

- The Anglican parish registers date from 1562. Kelly's 1900 Directory tells us 1548.
- The parish lies in the Calcewaith & Candleshoe Deanery.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here, erected in 1845 and replaced in 1888. For information and assistance in researching these chapels, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Terry BUTCHER has a photograph of the Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Geo-graph.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Wainfleet Sub-district of the Spilsby Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Croft is both a village and a parish that lie on the North Sea near the end of the A52 trunk road, almost two miles northeast of Wainfleet. Skegness parish lies to the northeast and Wainfleet St. Mary parish to the south, across the Steeping River. The parish includes the hamlets of Gibraltar and SeaCroft, as well as the Havenhouse Railway Station. The parish encompasses 5,525 acres.
If you are planning a visit, see:
- The A52 trunk road passes just south of the village.
- Gribralter Point, now a National Nature Preserve, is at the mouth of Wainfleet harbour. It is a popular spot for birdwatching and family outings.
- Stop in at the Village Hall, here photographed by David HITCHBORNE in 2008. Ask for a schedule of forth-coming events.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Croft to another place.
- An embanked road, supposed to have been constructed by the Romans, runs through the parish.
- David HITCHBORNE has a photograph of The Chequers Inn on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2008.
- These are the names associated with the Chequers Inn in various directories:
Year | Person |
---|---|
1842 | -- Not listed.-- |
1872 | Willm. MAIDENS, vict. |
1882 | Anthony SHAW vict. and farmer |
1900 | William HASTINGS |
1913 | William HASTINGS |
1930 | Arthur S. BROUGHTON |
The 1881 census tells us that Anthony SHAW was age 43, married, born in West Keal, LIN. His wife Betsey was 42 and born in Mablethorpe, LIN.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF509618 (Lat/Lon: 53.131582, 0.25363), Croft which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
There is a good photograph of the War Memorial at Geo-graph taken by David HITCHBORNE in 2008.
And a second photograph of the War Memorial taken by Richard HOARE in March, 2011.
John EMERSON provides this list of names off the war memorial at Croft. He notes: "This memorial at Croft had sixteen names under the losses for 1914-1918, even though the memorial states fifteen. In addition a further name is soon to be added, the name of which is also noted. I also went into Croft church, and found a small memorial plaque details of which have been added at the end of these names."
In memory of the men of Croft who served their country
these fifteen gave their lives 1914-1918.
Name | Notes | Name | Notes |
---|---|---|---|
F. BROWN | E. POCKLINGTON | ||
G. T. BROWN | F. RHOADES | ||
G. BURMAN | J. WARD | ||
H. E. FRITH | H. W. WEST | ||
J. A. HASTINGS | W. W. WEST | ||
A. HEWISON | H. WHITE | ||
W. HEWISON | A. WOODS | ||
A. M. POCKLINGTON | G. C. WOODS |
Also to be added to WW1 Company Sgt Major A.E. Broughton D.C.M. D Company
These three gave their lives 1939-1945
Name | Notes | Name | Notes |
---|---|---|---|
Raymond Thomas BROUGHTON | RFA | William Stacey SEARBY | RAFVR |
Edgar Sydney HEWITT | RAF 57 Squadron |
John EMERSON adds, "I think the remaining names that were found on the memorial, were men that took part in WW1, but returned home alive, they are as follows:"
Name | Notes | Name | Notes | Name | Notes | Name | Notes | Name | Notes |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
H. ARMSTRONG | C. FRITH | D. JARVIS | M. PETTY | Wm. TIMSON | |||||
J. A. BAKER | E. CODD | W. E. KIME | C. PINNER | W. TIMSON | |||||
F. BAKER | J. HALL | F. A. LARDER | H. T. RIGGALL | A. J.. TIMSON | |||||
J. C. BARRATT | J. P. HAMMOND | J. W. LARDER | T. W. SANDERSON | F. TIMSON | |||||
F. R. BEAN | J. HARRISON | A. LEA | A. SANDERSON | C. TYSON | |||||
G. W. BRAY | J. HARRISON | S. C. MILLER | H. SANDERSON | A. TYSON | |||||
H. E. BROWN | W. HOLLAND | G. H. MILLER | H. R. SEARBY | H. TYSON | |||||
H. J. CHAMBERLAIN | B. HOLLAND | W. E. MODDY | W. SIMPSON EYRE | T. WAITE | |||||
G. H. COOK | A. HOLLAND | F. MODDY | G. STEEL | T. WAITE | |||||
F. COTMAN | F. HOWARD | H. PARKER | E. SWINTON | M. WILLERTON | |||||
T. S. CRAN | F. JACKSON | J. PEACOCK | J. W. TATMAN | S. J. WOODS | |||||
A. EMERSON | W. JACKSON | W. PEARCE | H. H. TEAR | A. WOODS | |||||
A. EPTON | E. JANNEY |
John EMERSON adds, "Found in the church:"
In memory of F/O Rene J.C.A. Dupraz 53 O.T.U. R.C.A.F. of White Rock, B.C. Canada
Died in a flying accident (spitfire P79851)
15/6/1943 at Croft, Nr. Skegness, Lincolnshire.
There is a photograph of the memorial and a list of the names on it at the Roll of Honour site.
In the churchyard, there are two Commonwealth War Graves side-by-side as photographed by Richard CROFT: Age shall not weary them, taken in May, 2009.
- The name Croft is from the Old English croft, or "a small enclosed field". The name is unchanged in the 1086 Domesday book.
[A. D. MILLS, "A Dictionary of English Place-Names," Oxford University Press, 1991].
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Candleshoe Wapentake in the East Lindsey district and parts of Lindsey.
- Kelly's 1900 Directory of Lincolnshire places the parish, perhaps erroneously, in the South Lindsey division of the county.
- You can contact the Croft Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed or funded to help you with family history searches.
- For today's district governance, see the East Lindsey District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Spilsby petty session hearings every other week.
- The poor had the interest on £60 left by Samuel WILLIAMSON and Robert CHANTRY, distributed annually.
- In 1585, John DROPE left two cottages and three acres of land to two poor families in the parish.
- Three additional cottages were built by the parish.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, the parish became part of the Spilsby Poor Law Union.
- In 1884, Proctor's Charity, left by Joseph PROCTOR, produced £60 per year, which was distributed semi-annually to the poor of the parish.
- A parochial school was built in the village in 1844.
- Out in Croft Marsh, a National School was built in 1860 to hold 100 children. Its use as a school ended after 1900 and before 1912.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.