Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Butterwick
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
“BUTTERWICK, a parish in the wapentake of Skirbeck, parts of Holland, in the county of Lincoln, 4 miles to the E. of Boston, its post town, which is a station on the Great Northern railway. The parish is situated near the seacoast. The living is a vicarage united with that of Frieston, in the diocese of Lincoln. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. Here is an endowed National school, founded by A. Pinchbeck in 1665, with a revenue of about £300 per annum. There are also charitable endowments for the poor, amounting to £160 a year."
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
The Library at Boston will prove useful in your research.
Alex McGREGOR has a photograph of St. Andrew's Churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2015.
- The parish was the heart of the Benington sub-district of the Boston Registration District.
- We have a handful of 1901 census surnames in a text file. Your additions are welcome.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 606 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2333 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3336 - 3337 |
1881 | R.G. 11 / 3215 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2571 |
1901 | R.G. 13 / 3042 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to St. Andrew.
- Parts of the church are considered quite ancient, but it has been remodeled and rebuilt several times.
- The church seats about 220.
- Here are two photographs of St. Andrew's church. Both were taken by Ron COLE (who retains the copyright):


- The Anglican parish register dates from 1697.
- The LFHS has published several indexes for the Holland East Deanery to make your search easier.
- The Wesleyans had a small chapel here, originally built in 1815 and enlarged in 1863. J. THOMAS has a photograph of the 1901 Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2020. By that date, the Wesleyans had sold the building to private enterprise.
- The Free (United) Methodists built their's in 1862.
- For information and assistance in researching this chapel, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Benington sub-district of the Boston Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Butterwick is both a village and a parish in Lincolnshire near the seashore, 4 miles east by north of Boston. It covers about 1,500 acres of low, well-drained Fenland.
If you are planning a visit:
- By automobile, take the A52 north and east out of Boston. It passes Butterwick after only about a mile.
- You may wish to use bus or train service or hire a car. See our Transport page for these options.
- Alex McGREGOR has a photograph of the Entrance to Butterwick (from Brand End) on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2019.
- See our Touring page for additional resources.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Butterwick to another place.
J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Five Bells Public House on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2020.
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF388450 (Lat/Lon: 52.98437, 0.066102), Butterwick which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
From the War Memorial, by John EMERSON (with additional notations):
Erected by the inhabitants of Butterwick to the Glory of God and in the memory of the men from this village who gave their lives in the Great War (1914-1918)
Surname | Given names | Rank | Brig. | Btn. | Died | Cemetery | Notes |
---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
ACKRILL | Frederick | Pte. | 6 | Lincs | 1 Oct 1916 | Helles Mem. | |
BARNET | John William | Pte. | 2 | Lincs | 16 Aug 1917 | Tyne Cot Mem. | |
BEEBE | Alfred Frederick | Pte. | a | ||||
BOOTHBY | Frederick Key | Pte. | 8 | Lincs | 26 Aug 1915 | Loos Mem. | |
BURCHNALL | Charles Henry | Cpl. | 4 | Lincs | 14 Jul 1915 | Larch Wood Cem. | |
EDWARDS | John Rowland | Pte. | 2/5 | Lincs | 11 Apr 1917 | Thiepval Mem. | c |
GOSLING | Arthur | A.B. | b | ||||
GROCOCK | Albert Edward | Pte. | 2/4 | East Yorks | 15 Dec 1918 | Manchester South Cem. | |
LEGGETT | Alfred Henry | Pte. | 8 | Lincs | 26 Sep 1915 | Loos Mem. | |
LEGGETT | Frederick Walter | Pte. | 3/4 | Lincs | 9 Dec 1915 | Butterwick Cem. | |
MARSHALL | Percy John | Pte. | 10 | Royal Fusiliers | 11 Feb 1919 | Charleroi Comm. Cem. | |
MARTIN | John William | Pte. | b | ||||
MARTIN | Walter | Pte. | b | ||||
PEARSON | Walter | Pte. | 1 | Sherwood Forest | 27 Mar 1918 | Poziers Mem. | |
PHILLIPS | Richard Upsall | Gnr. | 315 | R F A | 11 Jun 1917 | Hop Store Cem. | |
PRESGRAVE | Sidney | Pte. | 1/5 | Lincs | 26 Jun 1917 | Loos British Cem. | |
PRESGRAVE | Walter | Pte. | 2 | Yorks and Lancs | 21 Mar 1918 | Arras Mem. | |
TAYLOR | Walter | Pte. | b | ||||
WALKLEY | Frederick | Pte. | 3 | Lincs | 31 Jan 1915 | Butterwick Cem. |
Notes:
- Not found in Commonwealth War Grave Com. database.
- Not enough info. to fully research. (Too many matches.)
- In CWGC database as "John Roland Edwards".
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the ancient Skirbeck Wapentake in the Borough of Boston in the parts of Holland.
- In 1880, a detached portion of this parish, with 95 inhabitants, was transfered to Leake.
- You may contact the local Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT funded to provide support for family history searches.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of Butterwick Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2020. Stop in when they are open and ask to see the schedule of forth-coming events.
- For today's district governance, visit the local Boston Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Kirton and Skirbeck petty session hearings.
- The following individuals left the income from land for the poor of the parish: Edmund DOCKING, Peter PISHEY (in 1669), William PISHEY, Peter DOCKING, Simon CLARK (in 1603), Alexander HOLLAND (in 1694), Robert FARROW (in 1612), John HARLAND (in 1685), William SWIFT (in 1669), Simon GUY (in 1656) and John PINCHBECK. Most of the charity lands were exchanged over time for larger plots, particularly when the Fens were drained and open fields enclosed.
- The parish had four cttages, rebuilt in 1828, that were occupied rent-free by poor parishioners. These were given by Richard HILL in 1662.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act, this parish became part of the Boston Poor Law Union.
- A Free School was founded here in 1665 by Anthony PINCHBECK, who endowed it with land in Freiston, Leverton, Friskney, Fishtoft and Butterwick parishes (about 122 acres in all). Students were allowed from surrounding parishes. Several building were built in 1878 to house the school, then called Pinchbeck's Endowed School for Boys. By 1913, both boys and girls were attending.
- Richard CROFT has a photograph of the old school extensions on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2009.
- See our Schools page for more information on researching school records.