Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Broughton
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
“BROUGHTON, a parish in the eastern division of the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, in the county of Lincoln, 3 miles to the N.W, of Glanford-Brigg. It lies on the W. bank of the river Ancholme, at the foot of the Heaths, and contains the hamlets of Castlethorpe, Gokewell, and Manby. Broughton was the site of a small nunnery of the Cistercian order, founded in the 12th century, which flourished till the Dissolution. The ancient Ermine Street crossed this parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Lincoln, of the value of £824, in the patronage of Joseph Dent, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and contains a monumental brass of a knight and his lady, of the year 1370. Then is a small endowment for education."
"CASTLETHORPE, a township in the parish of Broughton, wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, in the county of Lincoln, 1 mile from Brigg, its post town and railway station. It is seated on the banks of the small river Ancholme. Ermine Street passed near it."
"GOKEWELL, a hamlet in the parish of Broughton, county Lincoln, 4 miles N.W. of Brigg."
"MANBY, a hamlet in the parish of Broughton, county Lincoln, 4 miles N.W. of Glanford-Brigg. It contains Manby Hall."
”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
The Brigg Library is an excellent resource with a Local History section.
- The Broughton Cemetery, set aside in the late 1800s, is on the B1207 just north-west of the village.
- Geoff PICK has a photograph of Broughton Cemetery on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2006.
- The parish was in the Brigg sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- We have a partial surname extract from the 1901 census. It is a pop-up text file: 1901 Broughton Surnames.
- Check our Census Resource page for county-wide resources.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 629 |
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2116 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2399 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3429 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2625-2627 |
- In the hamlet of Gokewell there used to be a Cistercian nunnery founded by William DAUTREY some time before 1148.
- There was a small Saxon church here. When the Normans built the present church, the Saxon church became part of the tower.
- The church tower being partly Anglo-Saxon, it would be one of only a few in Lincolnshire.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
- The church was restored in 1884.
- The church seats 350.
- There are photographs available on our Broughton Church Photos page.
- The Anglican parish registers exist from 1538.
- We have a partial parish register extract in a pop-up text file. Your additions and corrections are welcome.
- According to Rose Light, "The parish registers for Broughton from 1850 are still at the Church and you have to pay to look at these."
- The parish is in the Yarborough Deanery, for which several marriage indexes exist.
- The Primitive Methodists built their chapel in 1841. The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel in Broughton in 1849.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Wesleyan Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in July 2009.
- For information and assistance in researching these chapel records, see our non-conformist religions page.
- Check our Church Records page for county-wide resources.
- The parish was in the Brigg sub-district of the Glanford Brigg Registration District.
- Check our Civil Registration page for sources and background on Civil Registration which began in July, 1837.
Do not confuse Broughton with Brant Broughton (which is between Newark and Sleaford).
This village and parish are three miles west-north-west of Glanford Brigg and about a mile north of the M180 Motorway. The New River Ancholme brushes the east side of the parish. The old Roman way, Ermine Street, runs along the west edge of the village as it runs between Lincoln and Winteringham. Scawby parish lies to the south. The parish sits on the Cliff range of hills, covers over 7,000 acres and includes the hamlets of Manby, Gokewell and Castlethorpe.
If you are planning a visit:
- The western part of the parish is covered by Broughton Woodland (West Wood and Gedbury Wood), a part of the ancient forest in this area.
- Broughton holds an annual Dog and Horse show.
- For golf enthusiasts, the 27-hole Forest Pines course, just south of Broughton, was voted best new golf course in 1997. Fred ROBERTS has a photograph of the Hotel, taken in 2005.
- By automobile, take the M180 between Scunthorpe and Grimsby (where it is the A180). Turn north onto the B1207 (the old Ermine Street) and drive about 1 mile into the village.
- John BEAL has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in April 2004.
- Stop by the Village Hall and get a schedule of forth-coming activities.
- In the 1930s, Berry Brothers operated a daily bus service to Scawby and Brigg. Daisy Motors also ran daily service to Scunthorpe.
- Check for bus service from the Linconshire Road Car Company of Lincoln.
- See our touring page for visitor services.
The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CASTLETHORPE, a township in the parish of Broughton, wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, in the county of Lincoln, 1 mile from Brigg, its post town and railway station. It is seated on the banks of the small river Ancholme. Ermine Street passed near it."
"GOKEWELL, a hamlet in the parish of Broughton, county Lincoln, 4 miles N.W. of Brigg."
"MANBY, a hamlet in the parish of Broughton, county Lincoln, 4 miles N.W. of Glanford-Brigg. It contains Manby Hall."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Broughton to another place.
- Archealogical evidence reveals that Broughton was a Roman settlement. Many coins and tiles have been found in the parish.
- In medieval times, the manor was held by the RADFORD family. Sir Henry RADFORD was accused of High Treason in 1455 and the manor passed to the ANDERSON family who held it for many generations.
- In the late 17th century, the Vicar of Broughton, Abraham de la PRYME, kept a daily diary of events and activities and this has become an important historic record.
- In the 19th century, the parish had a heronry. Bird watching is still popular in the area.
- The Dog and Rat Public House on High Street is a post-World War I establishment. The inn is still functioning. David WRIGHT has a photograph of the Dog and Rat on Geo-graph, taken in 2009. In 1930, Fred QUICKFALL, a beer retailer, ran the place.
- The Red Lion Public House on High Street has been around since at least 1842. The inn is still functioning. Ian S. has a photograph of the Red Lion on Geo-graph, taken in 2011. These are the names associated with the place in various directories:
Year | Proprietor |
---|---|
1882 | -- not listed -- |
1900 | John WIlliam AYRE |
1913 | John WIlliam AYRE |
1919 | John WIlliam AYRE |
1930 | Clarence MILSON |
- See our Maps page for additional resources.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SE962087 (Lat/Lon: 53.566103, -0.54894), Broughton which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- There is a tablet in the parish church bearing the names of 31 men who fell in World War I.
- David WRIGHT has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2009.
- Andrew TOBIAS has a close-up of the War Memorial Soldier on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2010.
For a photograph of the beautiful Broughton War Memorial and a list of the names on it, see the Roll of Honour site. The monument is on the corner of High Street and Scawby Road.
There is one Commonwealth War Grave in Broughton Cemetery from World War II:
- Stanley William WILSON, sapper, 79 Assualt Sqdn. Royal Engineers, age 23, died 8 June 1944. Son of Walter Stanley and Charlotte Louisa WILSON.
- Broughton is a common name in England with several origins. The Lincolnshire name comes from Old English beorg+tun, meaning "farmstead by a hill or mound". The mound in this case is near the west end of the village and may have been the site of the Roman station Pretorium from about 400 AD. Many Roman coins, bricks, tiles and other artifacts have been found in the area. In the Domesday Book of 1086, the name appears as Bertone.
["A Dictionary of English Place-Names," A. D. Mills, Oxford University Press, 1991]
- Locals pronounce the name as "Brauton".
- This place was an ancient parish in Lincoln county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- The parish was in the East Division of the Manley Wapentake in the Glanford District in the parts of Lindsey.
- In March, 1892, the portion of the parish known as Brigg Foot was amalgamated with Brigg.
- In 1894, the parish set up an Urban District Council. The village officially became a town in 1974.
- You can contact the local Town Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist you with family history questions. Several links at this site were not working when last visited in 2012.
- District governance is currently provided by the North Lincolnshire Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Brigg petty session hearings.
- After the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834, this parish became part of the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
- It appears that the Common Land was not enclosed until 1837.
- In 1856 the old workhouses or poor houses were sold and the proceeds turned over to the Glanford Brigg Poor Law Union.
The parish population grew in the late 19th century, partly due to the fledgling steelworking industry in Scunthorpe and also to the growth of nearby Brigg as a shipping centre.
Year Inhabitants 1801 729 1831 915 1841 913 1871 1,205 1891 1,257 1901 1,300 1911 1,381
- A National School was built here in 1849 by the Earl of Yarborough and held about 100 students. It was enlarged in 1896 to hold 300 students.
- For more on researching school records, see our Schools Research page.