Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
St Joseph, Mossley, Roman Catholic
hide
Hide
Hide
Hide
Hide
The Church was founded in Mossley in 1856 when services were held in the upper room of a building previously used by the Unitarian congregation in Smith Street, off Lees Road, known as "Th'owd Garrett". In 1862 a Church was built dedicated to St Joseph, the present Church was built on the same site as the old Church and School in 1965.
In 1856 a Catholic mission under the patronage of St. Bridget was established in Mossley by the Rev. William Wilson, M.S. From that year until 1862 Mass was said in an upper room in Lees Road. Fr. Wilson left in February 1860, and from that date until November 1861 the mission was served by the Rev. William Joseph Crombleholme and the Rev. Philip Capron. In November 1861 the Rev. Charles Grymonprez was appointed Rector. In 1862 he built a new church and placed it under the patronage of St. Joseph.From the beginning of January 1864 the church-building also served as an elementary school, a screen separating the altar during school hours. After a time a separate room for the use of the younger children was built adjoining the north side of the church. In November 1869 Fr. Grymonprez left for St. Mary's, Oldham, and was succeeded by the Rev. Peter Cardinael. During his Rectorship a new school was built about 1874. He was succeeded in 1878 by the Rev. John Kass, who was followed in April 1885 by the Rev. Henry Hill.
Fr. Hill left in December 1885, and was succeeded by the Rev. James Brady of Lees. During the twenty years of his Rectorship, the present altars, gallery and an organ were provided. Fr. Brady died in 1908. Then followed Fr. Henry Hunt. In 1909 the Rev. Paul Dootson. In January 1918 the Rev. Arthur J. McGrath. In January 1922 the Rev. John Delaney succeeded. In March 1927 the Rev. William Fletcher. In August 1930 Fr. William Dorran took charge and built the new school. After 1940 Fr. James Holland and Fr. J. Meagher, who opened Uppermill chapel.
Taken from "Salford Diocese and its Catholic past", a survey by Charles A. Bolton, a Priest of the above Diocese. Published 1950 on the First Centenary for the Diocese of Salford.
This site provides historical information about churches, other places of worship and cemeteries. It has no connection with the churches themselves. For current information you should contact them directly.
Copies of Original Registers
Baptisms
- 1873-1941 held by Lancashire Record Office MF 1/253 - Microfilm
- 1873-1941 held by Lancashire Record Office MF 1/253 - Microfilm
- 1947-1951 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
- 1947-1951 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
- 1956-1962 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
- 1956-1962 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
Marriages
- 1871-1941 held by Lancashire Record Office MF 1/253 - Microfilm
- 1871-1941 held by Lancashire Record Office MF 1/253 - Microfilm
- 1947-1950 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
- 1947-1950 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
- 1952-1954 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
- 1952-1954 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
- 1961-1962 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
- 1961-1962 held by Lancashire Record Office RCSF 2
Baptisms
1873-1941
1947-1951
1956-1962
Marriages
1871-1941
1947-1950
1952-1954
1961-1962
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
Hide
hide


















