Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Twyford and Stenson
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography◬
- Cemeteries
- Census
- Church History
- Church Records
- Churches
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records◬
- Description & Travel
- Directories
- Emigration & Immigration◬
- Encyclopaedias & Dictionaries
- Folklore◬
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy◬
- Historical Geography◬
- History
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues◬
- Land & Property◬
Hide
hide












Hide
Hide
hide
Hide
“TWYFORD AND STENSON, a chapelry in the parish of Barrow-on-Trent, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 6 miles N.E. of Burton, its post town, 5 S.W. of Derby, and 2 N.E. of Willington railway station. It is situated on, the river Trent, near the Grand Trunk canal. The chapelry includes the township of Stenson. The living is a curacy annexed to the vicarage of Barrow, in the diocese of Lichfield. The church is dedicated to St. Andrew. There is a National school for both sexes, erected in 1842 on a site of land presented by Sir George Crew, Bart., who is lord of the manor."
"STENSON, a hamlet and township in the parish of Barrow-on-Trent, hundreds of Appletree and Morleston, county Derby, 4 miles S.W. of Derby. It is situated on the Birmingham and Grand Trunk railway, and is in conjunction with Twyford.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
The Derby City Library is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
M. J. RICHARDSON has a photograph of the churchyard at St. Andrew's on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2016.
- The parish was in the Repton sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2290 |
1871 | R.G. 10 / 3292 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2197 & 2543 |
- The Anglican parish chapel is dedicated to Saint Andrew.
- The lower part of the tower dates from 1200.
- The church was damaged by lightning in 1821 and by a fire in 1910.
- The church is Grade I listed building with British Heritage.
- David DIXON has a photograph of St. Andrew's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2014.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1657, but the early years are illegible and in poor condition.
- The Anglican parish Bishop's Transcripts date from 1662 and are available on microfilm at the London Family History Centre.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Melbourne.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a brick chapel in Stenson in 1845.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Repton sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
"TWYFORD is a village, and with STENSON, form a chapelry, in that part of the parish of Barrow which is in the hundred of Appletree, pleasantly situate on the banks of the Trent, five and a half miles S.S.W. from Derby. The chapel is dedicated to St. Andrew, and the living is connected with the vicarage of Barrow. The chapelry contained, In 1821, 235, and in 1831, 219 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The village of Twyford sits along the north bank of River Trent about 131 miles north of London and 5.5 miles SSW of Derby city. The parish covers 1,800 acres. Photographs of the village can be found at Derbyshire Photos. The name means "double ford". Twyford village is now part of a Conservtion Area defined in 2014.
Stenson, now called Stenson Fields. lies due north of Twyford across the railway line.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Twyford and Stenson entry from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Twyford and Stenson entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
Mel LOCKIE has a transcription of the Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831 (link is external) on his website.
- The transcription of the section for Twyford and Stenson from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Twyford and Stenson to another place.
- Twyford and Stenson are both mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book.
- There is a large tumulus about a half mile east of the village. Local lore has it that the mound contains the bodies of those killed in the English Civil War.
John SLATER has a photograph of the Manor Hall at Twyford on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2015.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK330297 (Lat/Lon: 52.863418, -1.511539), Twyford and Stenson which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- This place was a Chapelry in Barrow-upon-Trent parish in ancient Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient High Peak Hundred (or Wapentake).
- In 1983 a Civil Parish was created for Stenson Fields, which included parts of Twyford and Barrow-on-Trent parishes. It was originally called Sinfin Moor, but the name was changed to reflect historic place names.
- Ian CALDERWOOD has a photograph of the Stenson Fields boundary hedge on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2013.
- District governance is provided by the South Derbyshire District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings every Friday.
- As a result of the 1834 Poor Law Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.
- The Common Land was enclosed here in 1841.