Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Turnditch
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography◬
- Business & Commerce Records
- Cemeteries
- Census
- Church History
- Church Records
- Churches
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records◬
- Description & Travel
- Directories
- Emigration & Immigration◬
- Folklore◬
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy◬
- Historical Geography◬
- History
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues◬
- Land & Property◬
Hide
hide














Hide
Hide
hide
- Law & Legislation◬
- Maps
- Medical Records◬
- Military History
- Military Records◬
- Names, Geographical◬
- Names, Personal◬
- Newspapers
- Obituaries
- Occupations◬
- Periodicals◬
- Politics & Government
- Poor Houses, Poor Law
- Population
- Probate Records◬
- Religion & Religious Life◬
- Schools
- Social Life & Customs◬
- Societies◬
- Taxation◬
- Voting Registers◬
Hide
Wikipedia tells us:
"Turnditch is a village and civil parish in the Amber Valley district of Derbyshire, England. The population of the civil parish at the 2011 Census was 301. It is located around ten miles north of Derby on the A517 road from Belper to Ashbourne."
Hide
There was an effort launched in 2017 to create a small public library in Turnditch, but apparent funding issues squashed that project.
The Library in nearby Ashbourne has a good Local Studies and Family History Reference Desk.
Jon CANTRILL reports that the Liverpool Mercury of Monday, 4th February, 1867 reports Bankruptcy: DOWNING, Joseph, Turnditch, Derbyshire, farmer.
Richard LAW has a photograph of the churchyard on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2010.
Mike SPENCER, UK, has given us a partial extract of Parish Register burials in a file for your review. Your additions and corrections are welcome.
- The parish was in the Duffield sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2144 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2507 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2741 |
Green Bank, Turnditch, Congregational |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church was originally built in the 13th century as a chapel of ease to Duffield.
- The church seats about 150.
- The church is described at the Peak District website .
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1780 for baptisms, marriages from 1845, and of burials from 1848; the earlier registers are at Duffield.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Wirksworth.
- A Congregational chapel was built here in 1818.
- The Primitive Methodists had a chapel here before 1891.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Duffield sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
"TURNDITCH, a chapelry in the parish of Duffield, hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 9 miles from Derby, its post town, and 3½ W. of Belper."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
The village lies about 10 miles north of Derby on the A517 arterial road west of Belper. Cross O' the Hands is a small hamlet just southwest of Turnditch.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Turnditch entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Turnditch from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Turnditch to another place.
The parish was about 2/3rds pasture in 1900.
David LALLY has a photograph of the Tiger Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2017.
Both the Tiger Inn and the Cross Keys Pub. have been here for over 150 years. These are the names associated with the Tiger Inn (Pub.) in various directories:
Year | Person |
---|---|
1855 | Thomas BODEN |
1874 | Mrs. Catherine BODEN, v. |
1891 | Charles Ride RICHARDSON |
1899 | John Thomas MILES |
1912 | William BUNTING |
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK293463 (Lat/Lon: 53.013209, -1.564734), Turnditch which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
Inside the parish church is a First and Second World War Memorial Tablet.
Also, on the wall of the old chapel on Ashbourne Road there is a War Memorial plaque.
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 5 April, 1804, MARRIED: "On Monday last, at Duffield, Mr. William BROCKLEBANK, of Liverpool, merchant, to Miss Pyarea MILNES, eldest daughter of Mr. MILNES, of Turnditch, in this county."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this notice from the Derby Mercury of 4 July 1804: "DIED: On Saturday se'nnight, at Postern Lodge, in this county, much respected by his relatives and a numerous acquaintance, Mr. William ADSETTS, aged 81 years."
- This place was an ancient township in Duffield parish and was formed as a separate Civil Parish in 1847.
- This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
- District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Belper petty session hearings every other week.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Belper Poorlaw Union.
A Public Elementary School (mixed) was erected in 1846 for 110 children.
Rob HOWL has a photograph of the School Clock and date-stone on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2012.
Rob HOWL also has a photograph of the 1846 Schoolhouse on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2012.