Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Stanton by Youlgreave
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography◬
- Cemeteries
- Census
- Church History
- Church Records
- Churches
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records◬
- Description & Travel
- Directories
- Emigration & Immigration◬
- Folklore◬
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy◬
- Historical Geography◬
- History
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues◬
- Land & Property◬
- Law & Legislation◬
Hide
hide














Hide
Hide
“STANTON, a chapelry in the parish of Youlgreave, hundred of High Peake, county Derby, 3 miles N. of Winster. The village is situated near the rivers Derwent and Wye, and belongs to the Duke of Rutland. The Stanton harriers are kennelled here. On Stanton Moor are many Druidical remains, logan stones, ancient British camps, barrows, &c.
The principal residence is Stanton Hall, the old seat of the Thornhills and Foljambes. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Lichfield, annexed to that of Youlgreave. The church was built in the beginning of the present century. There is a village school.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
You may want to use the Library in Bakewell, which has a Local Studies Section and is open six days per week.
Mick GARRATT has a photograph of the Cemetery (churchyard) on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2014. It is across the street from the church, near the schoolhouse.
- The parish was in the Bakewell sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2149 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2540 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2774 |
- It is the opinion of historians that the Druids used this area for worship. Their opinion is supported by the number of stone circles found nearby.
- It appears that there have been at least three Christian churches built here.
- Of the original chapel of ease, little is known and nothing remains.
- A second church was built in 1833 (or 1839) by William P. THORNHILL, then lord of the manor.
- Holy Trinity Church was built in 1889.
- The church seats 150. (Sources vary. The smaller number is reported.)
- Basher EYRE has a photograph of Holy Trinity Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2015.
- Neil THEASBY also has a photograph of Holy Trinity Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2013.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Bakewell.
- All Things Winster - Dawn SCOTTING's blogspot - includes Stanton in the Peak parish records:
Type Years Baptisms: 1840-1948 Marriages: 1875-1981 Burials: 1875-1942
- The Wesleyan Methodists, Primitive Methodists and the Wesleyan Reformists each had a chapel here before 1857. These appear to have been in use in 1891.
- Neil THEASBY has a photograph of the old Wesleyan Chapel (built in 1829) on Geo-graph, taken in uly, 2013.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Bakewell sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
STANTON IN PEAK, STANTON LEES and STANTON WOODHOUSE.
"Part of the parish of Birchover was added and part of this parish transferred to the latter in 1934."
(Ref: The Place-Names of Derbyshire; K. Cameron, 1959).
The parish includes the hamlets of Stanton Lees, Pilhough and Congreave, which mainly consist of small farms.
Basher EYRE has a photograph of Rush hour at Stanton-in-Peak on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2015. I'm pretty sure that he's trying to tell us something.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Stanton-in-the-Peak entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- Mel LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Stanton by Youlgreave entry from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
- Colin HINSON provides the transcription of the section for Stanton from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stanton by Youlgreave to another place.
- The Nine Ladies Stone Circle stands near Stanton.
- The parish held its annual feast on the Sunday nearest to All Saints Day.
- John SLATER has a photograph of The Flying Childers Inn on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2017.
Stanton Hall was owned for some two centuries by the BACHE family, but passed to THORNHILL by the 1696 marriage of Mary PEGGE, heiress of the estate, to John THORNHILL of THORNHILL. It was the seat of the THORNHILL family. In 1891 it was the residence of Major Michael McCREAGH-THORNHILL, of the 4th Dragoon Guards. He was the High Sheriff of Derbyshire in 1897.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK241651 (Lat/Lon: 53.182457, -1.640834), Stanton by Youlgreave which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
Major Michael McCREAGH-THORNHILL resided in Stanton Hall in 1891.
Basher EYRE has a photograph of the War Memorial at Stanton-in-Peak on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2015. The memorial is on the Main Street near Park Lane.
The parish lost 9 men in World War One:
- Lt. Col. BERTIE G. DAVIE 8TH. London Regt.
- Pte. HAROLD HARVEY Sherwood Foresters
- Pte. JOHN BERNARD SIDDALL Machine Gun Corps
- Sapper HERBERT EVANS Royal Engineers
- Pte. JOHN WILLIAM HOLMES Cheshire Regt.
- Albe Seaman ARTHUR WHITWORTH Royal Navy V.R., Buried in Stanton Cemetery.
- Pte. JAMES WILLIAM GLADWIN Sherwood Foresters
- Pte. CHARLES HENRY PENISTONE Civilian, Infantry Works Coy.
- Pte. JOHN R. STEVENSON Sherwood Foresters
You can see short biographies of the men, most with photographs, at the Roll of Honour website.
- This place was an ancient Chapelry in Youlgreave parish, Derbyshire, and became a separate modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient High Peak Hundred (or Wapentake).
- In April, 1934, this parish exchanged 79 acres to Birchover Civil Parish in return for 105 acres it gained from them in a boundary re-alignment.
- You may contact the local Stanton in Peak Parish Council concerning civic or political issues. They cannot help you with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the Derbyshire Dales District Council.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1799.
- The Derbyshire Record Office has the "awards and plan" of 1819 as item #D6786/4.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Bakewell petty session hearings each Friday.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Bakewell Poorlaw Union.