Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Stanton by Dale
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography◬
- Cemeteries
- Census
- Church History
- Church Records
- Churches
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records◬
- Description & Travel
- Directories
- Emigration & Immigration◬
- Folklore◬
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy
- Historical Geography◬
- History
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues◬
- Land & Property◬
Hide
hide


















Hide
Hide
hide
Hide
From: John BARTHOLOMEW's "Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887)":
"Stanton by Dale, par. and vil., Derbyshire - par., 1,467 ac., pop. 023; vil., 7 miles E. of Derby; P.O."
Hide
Stanton by Dale village is served by the Mobile Library on route 5, which stops at the Middlemore cottages every fourth Friday at 1pm.
Alternately, the Ilkeston Library is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
Michael SPENCER has provided a partial extract of burials found in the parish register. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
Alan MURRAY-RUST ahs a photograph showing the churchyard gravestones at St. Michael's on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2017.
- The parish was in the Stapleford sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2141 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2491 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2725 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Michael (possibly St. Michael and All Angels).
- The church was rebuilt or considerably altered in 1350, but the tower is a 15th century addition.
- The church was thoroughly restored in 1872.
- The church seats about 200.
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of St. Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.
- The MILESTONE SOCIETY has a photograph of Stanton village cross on Geo-graph, taken in 2016. This was likely an old "preaching cross". The cross was raised in 1632. It is a Grade II structure rated by British Heritage.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1604 and is in good condition.
- Marriages at Stanton by Dale, 1605-1812 are available in Nigel Batty-Smith's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Ilkeston.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of the Former Wesleyan Chapel on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2019. This chapel was built in 1860.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Stapleford sub-district of the Shardlow Registration District.
"STANTON-BY-DALE, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 9 miles N.E. of Derby, its post town, and 2 N. of Ilkeston. It is a station on the Erewash Valley railway. The village, which is chiefly agricultural, is situated near the Erewash and Nutbrook canals. Coal is found here. The Donnington hounds meet in this parish. A portion of the inhabitants are engaged in the iron works."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
This parish is 133 miles north of the city of London. The Erewash and Nutbrook Canal runs through the parish. The parish covers just over 1,491 acres.
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the Village Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2013. While the Hall is open, stop in and ask to see the schedule of forth-coming events. These Halls often have speakers dealing with family and local history events.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Stanton by Dale entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- Mel LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Stanton by Dale entry from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
- Colin HINSON provides transcription of the section for Stanton by Dale from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Stanton by Dale to another place.
- The village is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book.
- The village feast was held on the Sunday before Michaelmas Day (29 September).
- David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of the Village Pump, installed in June, 1897, on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of The Chequers Inn on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2019.
Stanton Hall, on the south side of the village, was the residence of Benjamin SMITH in 1846. It is now a "nursing home".
David HALLAM-JONES has a photograph of Stanton Hall on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2013.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK464385 (Lat/Lon: 52.941818, -1.310755), Stanton by Dale which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
The War Memorial is a granite obelisk on top of a plinth. It stands near the parish church and was unveiled in 1921.
Alan MURRAY-RUST has a photograph of the War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2017.
You can also see the War Memorial to the right of the church in this photograph of the Church of St Michael and All Angels, taken by David HALLAM-JONES in February, 2013.
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- In 1884 a detached part of this parish was transferred to Dale Abbey Civil Parish.
- This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
- You may contact the Stanton by Dale Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the Erewash Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Smalley (Ilkeston Court) petty session hearings.
- The parish had Almshouses built in 1711 by Mrs. Winifred MIDDLEMORE for four persons.
- Garth NEWTON has a photogrpah of the Middlemore Almshouses on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2001.
- Two other almshouses were built in 1735 by Mr. Gregory GREGORY.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act of 1834 reforms, the parish became a member of the Shardlow Poorlaw Union.
In an 1858 Will (made in 1853), John CHADWICK of Stanton by Dale, farmer. mentions:
- wife Ann CHADWICK
- Samuel PALING of Ilkeston
- Thos. CHADWICK
- my three children Wm. ROPER,Hannah CHADWICK, Mary CHADWICK
- Chas. YOUNG
- L. R. SAXTON of Crich