Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Mickleover
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography◬
- Cemeteries
- Census
- Church History
- Church Records
- Churches
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records◬
- Description & Travel
- Directories
- Emigration & Immigration◬
- Folklore◬
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy◬
- Historical Geography◬
- History
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues◬
- Land & Property◬
- Law & Legislation◬
Hide
hide














Hide
Hide
“MICKLEOVER, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 3 miles S.W. of Derby, its post town. The parish includes the chapelries of Littleover and Findern, at which places are chapels-of-ease. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agriculture, and the making of lace, and some in weaving of silk and velvet. The village, which is considerable, is neatly built. The tithes were commuted under Acts of Enclosure in 1768 and 1790 for land and a money payment.
The living is a vicarage* with the curacies of Littleover and Findern annexed, in the diocese of Lichfield, value £562. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is an ancient edifice, with a low embattled tower, containing three bells. The Wesleyans and Unitarians have places of worship. The charities produce about £87 per annum, of which £60 is the endowment of a free school founded by John Alsop in 1715. The Limes and the Pastures are the principal residences.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
The Derby City Library is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
We have a pop-up window of Parish Register burials in a file for your review. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
- The parish was in the Repton sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1861 | R.G. 9 / 1960 & 2490 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2197 |
- The Anglican parish church is built of stone and dedicated to All Saints.
- The church was restored in 1858.
- The church seats 350.
- Mickleover also has a new Anglican church dedicated to Saint John the Evangelist, constructed in the 1960s.
- Rob SAMPLE has a photograph of St. John the Evangelist Church on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2008.
- The Family History Library has the Mickleover Bishop's Transcripts for 1662 thru 1869 and the Parish Register for 1558 thru 1969 on microfilm.
- The church register dates from 1603.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Longford.
- The parish had both a Primitive and Wesleyan Methodist chapel prior to 1912.
- The parish has a Catholic church dedicated to "Our Lady of Lourdes".
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Repton sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
"MICKLEOVER, a parish in the hundred of Morleston, county Derby, 3 miles S.W. of Derby, its post town. The parish includes the chapelries of Littleover and Findern, at which places are chapels-of-ease."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Micklover village and township is now considered a suburb of Derby city. The village lies on the road from Derby to Uttoxeter. The railway served this town from 1878 until 1964.
The village has its own village website. This was recently under revision (2022).
Photographs from around the village can be found at the Derbyshire Photos site.
- Ann Andrews provides a transcription of the Mickleover entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Mickleover from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Mickleover to another place.
The earliest mention of Mickleover was in an early charter (1011 AD) by King Aethelred the Unready granted Morcar, a high-ranking Mercian Thegn, land along the Trent and in Eastern Derbyshire, including land in the Mickleover and Littleover areas.
At the time of the Domesday Survey, 1086, Mickleover was known as Magna (the Old English version of this is Micel) Oufra.
Thomas COTCHETT built the first small scale textile factory, a silk mill, here. COTCHETT was born in Mickleover the son of Robert COTCHETT, an officer in Cromwell's army during the English civil war.
Peter BARR has a photograph of The Great Northern Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2011.
Malcolm NEAL has a photograph of the Honeycomb Public House on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
Malcolm NEAL also has a photograph of the Robin Public House on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
Malcolm NEAL has a photograph of The Vine Public House on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017.
The Manor House, a mansion of red brick, was the property of Francis Curzon NEWTON esq. J.P. In 1912 it was unoccupied.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK307346 (Lat/Lon: 52.90796, -1.544972), Mickleover which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The parish was home to the County lunatic asylum which stood on an estate of 79 acres (originally 101 acres) less than a mile southwest of the village. This area of the parish was called "The Pastures". The asylum was built in 1851 and expanded in 1862.
- The asylum eventually became "Pastures Hospital".
- There is a photograph of the Asylum and some history at the County Asylums web page.
- The web page author does not know what records exist for this institution.
In 1912, Captain C. HERBERT-STEPNY resided in The Lodge in the village. A Major Harold PEEKE resided at the Oaklands.
Mickleover is home to the Mickleover Army Cadet Force Detachment.
- The village is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as being owned by Burton Abbey and was recorded under the name of "Magna Oufra". The Old English form would have been "Micel Ofer", meaning "flat-topped ridge"
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar provides this notice from the Derby Mercury of 19 May 1803: "DIED: On Tuesday se'nnight, at Mickleover, in this county, aged 65, Mrs. E. BAILEY, relict of the late Mr. Joseph BAILEY, of that place."
Jon CANTRILL shares this notice from the Derby Telegraph of 24 September 1914:
"The Funeral Of The Late Mrs M D SPRIGGS
The funeral of Mrs SPRIGGS, who passed peacefully away after a short illness at her residence, the laurels, Mickleover, took place at the Old Cemetery on Tuesday morning last. She was the wife of Mr M. D. SPRIGGS, Chief Inspector of Weights and Measures.
(Names mentioned as follows) Emily SPRIGGS (the deceased)
Master Charles SPRIGGS (son)
Mrs KEATES,
Mr & Mrs ARMSTRONG
Mr & Mrs COLLIS
Mr & Mrs MERCHANT
Mr & Mrs CASTLEDINE
Mr & Mrs HARVEY and Harvey
Mr & Mrs WALKER
Mr & Mrs BANKS
Mr & Mrs HODGKINSON
Mrs JACKSON
Mr & Mrs DIX and Willie
Mr & Mrs LEWIS
Mr & Mrs HILL
Mr & Mrs CASH
Mr PARKER and Mrs BOOTH
Miss SUGGETT
Mrs HUNT
Mr FLOWER and staff
Mr & Mrs J SAUNDERS
Master Jacky CASTLEDINE
Mr and Mrs WARDSMITH "
- This place was an ancient township and parish in Derbyshire and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
- A portion of this parish was in the ancient Shardlow Hundred (or Wapentake).
- In December, 1866, Littleover township was created from this parish as its own Civil Parish.
- In April, 1928, this parish was reduced by 1 acre transferred to Derby Civil Parish.
- In April, 1968, this Civil Parish was abolished. Portions were parceled out to Burmaston (284 acres), Findern (8 acres), Mackworth (1 acre) and Radbourne (163 acres) Civil Parishes.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings.
- The Family History Library has the Mickleover Churchwardens' accounts for 1792 thru 1862 on microfilm.
- The parish had the Rev. GISBORNE's charity of £6 12s and 11d yearly for distribution to the poor.
- POLE's Charity of £10 yearly was devoted to the apprenticing of poor boys.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, the parish joined the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.
The Public Elementary School (mixed & infants) was erected in 1880, & enlarged in 1907, for 249 boys & girls & 100 infants.
Malcolm NEAL has a photograph of the relatively modern Mickleover Primary School on Geo-graph, taken in December, 2017.
Malcolm NEAL also has a photograph of the entrance to Murray Park School in North-east Mickleover on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2020.