Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Kedleston (Kedlaston)
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography◬
- Cemeteries
- Census
- Church History
- Church Records
- Churches
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records◬
- Description & Travel
- Directories
- Emigration & Immigration◬
- Folklore◬
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy
- Historical Geography◬
- History
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues◬
- Land & Property◬
Hide
hide












Hide
Hide
hide
Hide
Wikipedia tells us:
"Kedleston is a village and civil parish in the Amber Valley district of Derbyshire, approximately 4 miles (6.4 km) north-west of Derby."
Hide
The Library at Belper is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
We have been advised (in October 2012) that the churchyard graves have stones that lie flat or they are unmarked.
Brian DEEGAN's photograph of the churchyard at All Saints shows these flat graves, taken in May, 2018.
- The parish was in the Duffield sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2144 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2506 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2741 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to All Saints.
- The church was built in the 13th century.
- The church was restored in 1884-85.
- The church is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
- The church seats 100.
- Philip HALLING has a photograph of All Saints Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2009.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1600.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Duffield.
- Marriages at Kedleston, 1600-1837 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- And there is available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's Phillimore's images the 1641 Protestation Roll for this parish.
- Michael SPENCER has partially extracted the Parish Register Burials for this parish.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Duffield sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
"KEDLESTON, a parish in the hundred of Appletree, county Derby, 4½ miles N.W. of Derby, its post town, 5 S.W. of Belper, and 2 S.W. of Duffield. It is a small village, situated on a branch of the river Derwent, and is a meet for the Hoar-Cross hounds. The land is chiefly rich pasture, and the greater part of the parish is included within the limits of Kedleston Park."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Kedleston village was moved north from its ancient location near the parish church, but it is unclear when this occurred.
Cutler Brook flows through the parish, becoming the Markeaton Brook before emptying into the Derwent River.
Eamon CURRY has a photograph of the Village Sign on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2010.
Visitors might enjoy the Kedleston Park Golf Club.
- Ann Andrews provides a transcription of the Kedleston entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Kedleston from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin Hinson.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Kedleston (Kedlaston) to another place.
George Nathaniel Curzon, also known as Marquess Curzon, also called Lord Curzon, and Earl Curzon of Kedleston, was born in Kedleston Hall on 11 January, 1859. He was the eldest son of the 4th Baron Scarsdale, rector of Kedleston, DBY. At Eton, where he proved a wayward and emotional pupil, he was also a brilliant student. He died 20 March, 1925, in London. He was Viceroy of India (1898–1905), and Foreign Secretary of the UK government (1919–24).
- Kedleston was mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book.
- For centuries, most of the parish was pasturage.
- Sam STYLES has a photograph of Kedleston Hall on Geo-graph, taken in 2001.
- In 1871 Luke WATSON was sent to gaol for 7 days hard labour for begging at Kedleston in April. (Note: Luke was not a local.)
Kedleston Hall was the seat of the CURZON family who owned the estate here since 1297. The present Hall was constructed in 1759.
Peter TURNER has a photograph of the Entrance lodges to Kedleston Hall on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2016. The Hall is a National Trust building.
Brian DEEGAN has a photograph of Kedleston Hall on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2018.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK306406 (Lat/Lon: 52.961695, -1.54527), Kedleston (Kedlaston) which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Henry CURZON (1765 - 1846), Admiral of the Red is buried here.
- In Kedleston Hall is a n ivory chess set and board in a glazed wooden frame. They were sent by Sir William Rumbold Bt. from Calcutta as a present to Felicité Lady Scarsdale in December 1815, in memory of her son who died at the battle of Waterloo (1815).
- Vice Admiral Edward CURZON (d. 1862) is buried here. He was captain of the British warship Asia at the Battle of Navarino in 1827.
- Kedleston Hall was used by the Royal Army in World War II as training camp and as a signals intelligence station, collecting radio transmissions from the German military.
- There's still a trace of World War II in the parish, This FW3/22 pillbox on Lodge Lane is a reminder. Photograph by Eamon CURRY, taken in March, 2010.
In All Saint's Church is a wall-mounted white marble tablet with a moulded cornice at the head, straight sides and a decorative edge at the foot. It honors Captain The Honorable William CURZON who died on 18th June 1815 at the Battle of Waterloo.
In All Saint's Church is a wall-mounted white marble tablet honoring Colonel Alfred Nathaniel CURZON of the Sherwood Foresters and Justice of the Peace. He was born 12th March 1860, and died 20th. Sept. 1920.
In All Saint's Church is a wall-mounted black marble tablet in an alabaster frame honoring Major and Honorary Colonel Richard Nathaniel CURZON of the Royal Scots Greys and later the Royal Artillery. He was born 3rd July 1898, and died on 19th Oct. 1977.
In All Saint's Churchyard is a stone tablet on a family grave that includes the mention of Captain Rueben Henry GREGORY. He was Killed in Action in Belgium on 9 June 1917 aged 25.
There are two Commonwealth War Graves in All Saint's churchyard from World War II. They are for:
- Ralph O. N. CURZON, captain, Royal Armoured Corps, died 10 July 1940
- William FRASER, priv., Pioneer Corps, age 25, died 20 Oct. 1945.
There is a Commonwealth Grave Stone in Windsor (Berks) Cemetery:
- "H. J. DUGGAN The Life Guards 25th October 1943 Age 39." Hubert John DUGGAN was the son of the Marshioness Curzon of Kedleston and the late Alfred Duggan. Note that the Marquis was not his father - his mother married the marquis after the death of her first husband in WW1.
Trevor SIMPSON advises: "It is pronounced Ked-less-ton not Kedlston Kedlezton or Kedliston. The stress is on the first syllable."
Jane TAYLOR in Redcar contributes this snippet from the Derby Mercury of December 1, 1803: DIED: "At Kedleston, in this county, on Friday night last, Mrs. HUMPSTON, aged 79."
- This place was an ancient parish in Derby county and became a modern Civil Parish when those were established.
- This parish was in the ancient Appletree Hundred (or Wapentake).
- District governance is provided by the Amber Valley Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Belper Poorlaw Union.