Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
St Michael
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography
- Cemeteries
- Census
- Church History
- Church Records
- Churches
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records△
- Description & Travel
- Directories◬
- Emigration & Immigration△
- Folklore△
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy◬
- Historical Geography△
- History◬
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues△
- Land & Property◬
Hide
hide




















Hide
Hide
hide
- Law & Legislation△
- Maps
- Medical Records◬
- Military History
- Military Records△
- Names, Geographical△
- Names, Personal◬
- Newspapers◬
- Obituaries◬
- Occupations△
- Periodicals△
- Politics & Government
- Poor Houses, Poor Law
- Probate Records◬
- Religion & Religious Life△
- Schools◬
- Social Life & Customs△
- Societies△
- Taxation△
- Voting Registers△
Hide
The parish church was of medieval origins; transferred to the Abbot of Derby in 1240 by Sir Rafe de Freshville. The chancel collapsed on 17 August 1856 which prompted the building of the new church starting on 1857.
Hide
The Derby City Library is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
- AUSTIN, Michael - 'Almost Like a Dream' : A Parish at War, 1914-1919
From the start of the First World War until the Armistice, the Vicar of St Michael's, Derby encouraged men serving in the War to write to him telling of their experiences. Their letters were published month by month in the parish magazine and they have now been assembled under the editorship of The Revd Canon Michael Austin for a wider audience. Published by Merton Priory Press on behalf of Derbyshire Record Society in 1999, this book also includes biographical notes and pictures of several of the men.
St Michael, Derby, Church of England |
- The parish was in the St. Alkmund sub-district of the Derby Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 199 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2494 thru 2497 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2736 thru 2738 |
St Michael, Derby, Church of England |
- St. Michael's Church stands on Queen Street:
- A considerable portion of the church collapsed during divine services on 17 August, 1856 and was rebuilt in 1858:
- Chris WHIPPET has a photograph of St. Michael's Church on Geo-graph, taken in June, 2015:
- Saint Michael's church closed in 1977.
- Saint Michael's parish register dates from 1559 and is in good condition.
- Marriages at St Michael's Church, 1559-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the St. Alkmund sub-district of the Derby Registration District.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from St Michael to another place.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK352366 (Lat/Lon: 52.925663, -1.477849), St Michael which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- There is a photograph of the Boer War Memorial on Geo-graph, taken by Robin SCOTT in March, 2011.
- This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
- This Civil Parish was abolished in 1898 and merged into the Derby Urban District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings every Friday.
- With the passage of the Poor Law Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Derby Poorlaw Union.