Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Coton in the Elms
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide


















Hide
Hide
John Marius WILSON's "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72" tells us:
"COTON-IN-THE-ELMS, a chapelry in Lullington parish, Derby; 5 miles SW of Burton-upon-Trent. Real property, £2,636. Pop., 353. The living was separated from Lullington in 1868, and is a vicarage. Value, £88."
Hide
Coton in the Elms village is served by the Mobile Library on route 5, which stops at the Mill Green Close every fourth Thursday in the late morning.
Also, the nearby Swadlincote Library is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
- Louis MILLS has created a file of Burial register extractions for this parish. Note; This file is NOT complete.
- The parish was in the Greasley sub-district of the Burton upon Trent Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1861 | R.G. 9 / 1963 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2199 |
- The original church here was behind the Shoulder of Mutton pub.
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Mary.
- The church was built in 1846.
- The church was restored in 1899.
- The church seats 246.
- J. THOMAS has a photograph of St. Mary's Church on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2012.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1846. Earlier registers are at Lullington
- The church was in the rural deanery of Repton.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a chapel here built before 1891. This was replaced in 1922 by a new building.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Greasley sub-district of the Burton on Trent Registration District.
"COTON-IN-THE-ELMS is a township, in the parish of Lullington, about a mile from that village, containing 264 inhabitants."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
Alex McGREGOR has a photograph showing the Village Sign on Geo-graph.
Drive carefully through the village. The ducks feel that they are entitled to cross the road where and when they feel like it. Alex McGREGOR has a photograph of one such set of assertive ducks on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2014.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Coton in the Elms entry under Church Gresley from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Coton in the Elms entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- The transcription of the section for Coton in the Elms from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- You can also consult John Marius WILSON's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72 on Vision of Britain.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Coton in the Elms to another place.
Coton is mentioned over a thousand years ago when land was transferred to Wulfrige the Black in AD942.
"Coton in the Elms" is mentioned in the 1086 Domesday Book where it is then spelled "Cotes".
The Black Horse Pub. was refurbished in 2009.
The Queen's Head Inn dates back to the 17th century; part of the premises was once a shop.
Malcolm NEAL has a photograph of the Queen's Head Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in October, 2017.
The Shoulder of Mutton pub. closed in 2010 and has been converted to a residence.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK245151 (Lat/Lon: 52.732878, -1.638034), Coton in the Elms which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
The village War Memorial is on the northwest verge of Mill St, opposite the junction with Mill Green Close. The memorial was installed in November 2015 and comprises six Rowan trees (Sorbus aucuparia) accompanied by a commemorative tablet. The trees are spaced along the roadside verge between the junctions with Church St and New Rd. Half-way along is a small display comprising a recumbent grey granite tablet on a concrete backboard placed within a gravel bed with concrete kerbs and accompanied by a small stainless steel cross. The tablet bears an incised inscription in capital and sentence case roman lettering coloured black. There are no names recorded on the plaque.
The six trees represent the six men from the parish who died in World War One.
Ian S. has a photograph of a War Memorial at St. Mary's Church on Geo-grapn, taken in January, 2022.
Two of the war veterans have been identified (as "probables") by Nivard OVINGTON in the UK:
- Private Albert E. FERN, 10th Bn., Sherwood Foresters, died 17 Nov. 1918 at age 25. Son of Charles and Mary Ann FERN, of Coton-in-the-Elms, Burton-on-Trent; husband of Edith Louisa FERN (nee HOLLIS), of Grange Wood, Lullington, Burton-on-Trent. He had married Edith L. HOLLIS in the 3rd quarter of 1918 in Burton Upon Trent subdistrict.
- Company Serjeant Major Alfred E. W. WOYEN, 2nd Bn., Coldstream Guards, died 30 March 1916 at age 32. Son of the late Alfred and Mary WOYEN, of Hull; husband of Annie M. KINSON (formerly WOYEN), of Mill St., Colton-in-the-Elms, Burton-on-Trent.
- This place was an ancient Township in Lullington parish in Derby county but was incorporated as a separate modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Repton and Greasley Hundred (or Wapentake).
- You may contact the Coton-in-the-Elms Parish Council regarding civic or political issues, but they are NOT staffed to assist with family history searches.
- District governance is provided by the South Derbyshire District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Swadlincote petty session hearings every other Tuesday.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became a member of the Burton upon Trent Poorlaw Union.