Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Calow
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography◬
- Cemeteries
- Census
- Church History
- Church Records
- Churches
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records◬
- Description & Travel
- Directories
- Emigration & Immigration◬
- Folklore◬
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy◬
- Historical Geography◬
- History
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues◬
- Land & Property◬
Hide
hide














Hide
Hide
From: John BARTHOLOMEW's Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887):
"Calow, township, in par. and 2¼ miles E. of Chesterfield, E. Derbyshire, 1,339 ac., pop. 563"
Hide
The Corbriggs area is served by the Mobile Library on route N, which makes a stop every fourth Wednesday in the late morning.
The Mobile Library also makes two stops in Calow on every fourth Friday afternoon.
Alternatively, the Chesterfield Library is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
St Peter, Calow, Church of England |
- The parish was in the Chesterfield sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2147 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2530 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2763 |
St Peter, Calow, Church of England |
- The Anglican parish church chapel is dedicated to Saint Peter.
- The chapel was built in 1869.
- The spire was added in 1887.
- The chapel seats 200.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2009.
- And J. THOMAS also has a photograph of St. Peter's Church on Geo-graph, taken in September, 2013.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1862. For earlier records, check St. Mary's in Chesterfield.
- Michael SPENCER provides an extract of Parish Register burials for your use and review. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Chesterfield.
- The Congregationalists built a brick chapel here in 1837.
- The Independents built a chapel here in 1887.
- The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1854.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Chesterfield sub-district of the Chesterfield Registration District.
"CALOW, a township in the parish of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, county of Derby, 2 miles E. of Chesterfield, which is a station on the Midland railway. The inhabitants are employed in the neighbouring coal-works."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Calow entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
John Marius WILSON's, "Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72":
"CALOW, a township in Chesterfield parish, Derby; 2¼ miles E of Chesterfield. Real property, £1,844. Pop., 375. Coal is worked. There are a chapel of ease of 1867, an Independent chapel, and a national school."
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Calow to another place.
- 2/3rds of the parish land was used for pasturage.
- The section of Lysons' Topographical and Historical Account of Derbyshire, 1817, for Chesterfield, transcribed by Barbarann AYARS, includes a portion on Calow.
- The White Hart Public House was a popular spot to catch up on local gossip and regional news. These are the names associated with the White Hart in various directories:
Year | Proprietor; |
---|---|
1852 | George COWLISHAW |
1855 | Samuel BARGH |
1870 | Henry CHARLTON, butcher |
1891 | Reuben COX |
1895 | Reuben COX |
1899 | Wilfred LONGSON |
1912 | George TAGG |
Here is the 1891 census entry (RG 12/2763 folio 38) for White Hart Public House:
Relationship | Name | Sex | Age | Where born |
---|---|---|---|---|
Head | Reuben COX | M | 50 | Derbyshire |
Wife | Annie M. COX | F | 43 | Derbyshire |
Dau. | Fanny E. COX | F | 11 | Derbyshire |
Servant | Herbert DAVISON | M | 24 | Derbyshire |
Jon CANTRILL provides this report from the Jun 27th, 1902, Manchester Guardian:
"Murder near Chesterfield A murder was committed near Chesterfield yesterday. A miner named John BEDFORD walked into the White Hart at Calow, and said to a companion,“I have killed her,” and pointed to his blood-stained boots and trousers. The man went to the house, and found a married woman named Annie PRICE lying dead on the sofa, with her head cut open by a poker. BEDFORD is in custody."
- Alan HEARDMAN has a photograph of the Blacksmiths Arms Pub. on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2008.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK408710 (Lat/Lon: 53.234474, -1.390203), Calow which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Chesterfield Royal Hospital, near junction 29 on the M1, is now part of the National Health System and is only a few decades old. The Hospital has 550 beds.
- No patient records are available for public view.
- George WOLFE has a photograph of Chesterfield Royal Hospital on Geo-graph, taken in May, 2006.
- Steve FAREHAM has a photograph of Chesterfield Royal Hospital main entrance on Geo-graph, taken in March, 2014.
- The Traces of War website shows us that the Congregational churchyard has 1 Commonwealth War Grave from WWII.
- David BEVIS has a photograph of the War Memorial behind Eastwood Park gates on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2016.
The man listed at the CWGC site is:
- Sergeant Richard BALL, RAF Vol. Rsrv (attached to RCAF Sqdn 408), age 21, died 9 March 1942. Husband of Lilian BALL, of Sheffield.
- In the 1086 Domesday Book the name is rendered as 'Kalehal'.
- This place-name is pronounced locally as 'Kay-low'.
Jane TAYLOR offers this extract from the Derby Mercury of 31 May 1804: MARRIED: "On Tuesday se'nnight, at Chesterfield, Mr. Robert COX, of Calow, to Miss Maria WARDLE, of Stone Gravels, near the former place."
- This place was an ancient Township in Chesterfield parish in Derby county and it was incorporated as a separate, modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Scarsdale Hundred (or Wapentake).
- In August, 1882, the parish was reduced in size to enlarge Hasland Civil Parish.
- In November, 1910, this parish was reduced in size to enlarge Chesterfield Civil Parish. This was just before the Chesterfield Hospital was built in the southern part of Calow village.
- District governance is provided by the North East Derbyshire District Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Chesterfield petty session hearings.
- There is an index of Calow Bastardy Paper held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Calow" from the list of parishes displayed.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became a member of the Chesterfield Poorlaw Union.