Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Allestree
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography◬
- Cemeteries
- Census
- Church History
- Church Records
- Churches
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records◬
- Description & Travel
- Directories
- Emigration & Immigration◬
- Folklore◬
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy◬
- Historical Geography◬
- History
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues◬
- Land & Property◬
Hide
hide












Hide
Hide
hide
Hide
“ALLESTREE, (or Allestrey) a parish in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, in the county of Derby, 2 miles to the N. of Derby. It lies near the Midland railway and the river Derwent. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Lichfield, value £54. The church, which is ancient, and has a tower, contains some monuments of the Mundys of Allseley Hall and Markeaton, and is dedicated to St. Andrew. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel here. The charities, including the income from church lands, amount to £32. This parish is part of the duchy of Lancaster.”
from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
Hide
The Allestree Library is located at Park Farm Centre, off Carsington Crescent. They have a good reference centre.
As an alternative, the Library at Derby City is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
Mike SPENCER has provided a partial extract of burials found in the parish register. Your additions and corrections are welcomed.
- The parish was in the Duffield sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2144 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2506 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2741 |
- The Anglican parish church is dedicated to Saint Edmund King & Martyr.
- Portions of the church date back to the 12th century.
- The church tower is from the 13th century.
- Much of the church was rebuilt in 1865-66.
- The church seats 348.
- David KELLY has a photograph of St. Edmund's Church on Geo-graph, taken in July, 2002.
- The Anglican parish register dates from 1596 and is in fair condition.
- Marriages at Allestree, 1595-1812 are available in Nigel BATTY-SMITH's database of scanned images of Phillimore's Parish Registers.
- The churchwarden accounts exist from 1618.
- The church was in the rural deanery of Duffield.
- The Primitive Methodists built a chapel here in 1871.
- The Wesleyan Methodists built a chapel here in 1821 and replaced it in 1895.
- There is now a modern Wesleyan Church on Birchover Way near Ferrers Way.
- Ian CALDERWOOD has a photograph of the new Holy Family Catholic Church in the western part of town on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2017. This is near the north end of Kingsley Road.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837.
- The parish was in the Duffield sub-district of the Belper Registration District.
"ALLESTREY is a small parish, in the hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, about two miles N. from Derby. The parish forms part of the Duchy of Lancaster, and is within the jurisdiction of a court of pleas, for the recovery of debts under 40s., held at Tutbury every third Tuesday. The places of worship are the parish church and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists: the former, which is dedicated to St. Andrew, is an edifice of some antiquity, with a square tower; and several monuments of the Mundy family embellish the interior of the church. The living is a perpetual curacy in the patronage of J. Mundy, esq. The parish contained in 1821, 361 inhabitants, and, in 1831, 501."
[Description from Pigot and Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire, 1835]
The parish is on the River Derwent and is currently a part of the conurbation of Derby city. Allestree village centre was made a Conservation Area in 1991 to preserve some of the older buildings and the "look" of the village.
You may enjoy reading about Allestree at Discover Derby.
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Allestree entry from Pigot & Co's Commercial Directory for Derbyshire (1835).
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Allestree entry from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- A modern Directory of Allestree is in the Derby City Guide.
- Mel LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Allestree entry from Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England, 1831.
- Colin HINSON provides the transcription of the section for Allestree from the National Gazetteer (1868).
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Allestree to another place.
- Much of the parish was pasturage in the 1700 and 1800s.
- Jonathan CLITHEROE has a photograph of the Red Cow Public House on Geo-graph, taken in February, 2014.
- There are photographs with history notes at Derby Photos.
- Allestree Hall had been built in the late 1700s just to the north of Allestree village.
- Allestree Hall was the seat of Sir Thomas William EVANS, bart., in 1891.
- Allestree Hall used by the Royal Army during World War II. The Hall was used by the National Fire Service as the County Headquarters.
- After World War II, the local Parish Council took control of Allestree Hall. Some 323 acres of land were turned over to Derby City Council for use as park land.
- The Hall is Grade II listed with British Heritage.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK348401 (Lat/Lon: 52.95723, -1.483661), Allestree which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- The gates on Robincroft Road were first dedicated to the men of Allestree who lost their lives in the First World War and originally allowed access to the car park of Allestree Recreation Ground. The gates were renovated and rededicated in 2013 when the car park was extended.
- The Allestree Memorial Hall was given to the village of Allestree as a memorial to those who died in two world wars. It is a meeting place for educational and social functions. It is managed by volunteers who have set up a Trust for funding.
- Peter BARR has a photograph of the Allestree Memorial Hall on Geo-graph, taken in January, 2011.
- The War Memorial for Allestree is to be found in the grounds of St. Edmund's Church. There are sixteen names for World War 1 and 19 for World War 2.
- There are five Commonwealth War Graves in St. Edmund's churchyard: One from World War One and four from World War Two.
- For a photograph of the Allestree War Memorial in the churchyard and the names on the monument, see the Roll of Honour site.
The five Commonwealth War Graves in St. Edmund's churchyard (data from the CWGC site) are for:
Name | Rank | Unit | Died | Other info. |
---|---|---|---|---|
Eric Francis COTTON | corporal | Royal Corps of Signals | 17 Jan. 1944 | Age 37, husband of Jane Anne COTTON of Hampshire |
F. FISHER | private | 12th Btln., Sherwood Foresters | 11 Aug. 1920 | Age 29, husband of Sarah FISHER |
George Muir GEE | sergeant | Royal Air Force | 14 Jan. 1942 | Age 26, husband of Catherine GEE |
Ronald John GRUNDY | leading aircraftman | RAF Volunt. Rsrv. | 19 Jan. 1946 | Age 39, husband of Gladys Lillian GRUNDY |
Rayner A. HARGRAVES | sapper | 6 Airborne Div. Postal Unit, Royal Engineers | 18 Sept. 1945 | Age 29, husband of Nellie HARGRAVES |
Jane TAYLOR of Redcar offers this snippet from the Derby Mercury of 17 February 1803: "MARRIED: On Monday, at Allestry (SIC), near this town, Mr. JOWETT, butcher and grazier, of Aston, in this county, to Miss JERAM, of the former place."
- This place was an ancient Chapelry in Wirksworth parish in Derbyshire and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient Morleston and Litchurch Hundred (or Wapentake).
- In April, 1934, Markeaton parish was abolished and 216 acres were amalgamated into this Civil Parish.
- In 1968, this Civil Parish was split up with pieces going to Little Eaton and Quarndon Civil Parishes and the rest (the largest portion) into the urban district (unitary authority) of Derby city as a ward.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Derby petty session hearings every Friday.
- There is a partial list of Allestree Bastardy Papers held at the DRO on the Yesterdays Journey website. Select "Bastardy Papers" on the left side, then "Allestree" from the list displayed.
- The Common Lands were enclosed here in 1763.
- As a result of the 1834 Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms, this parish became part of the Belper Poorlaw Union.
The "Parish Chest" for Allestree contains:
- Settlement Certificates 1728 - 1822:
- Removal Orders 1779 - 1818:
- Filiation Orders1747 - 1834:
- Bastardy Bonds 1764 - 1792:
- Apprenticeships 1832 - 1848.
All of the above are on microfilm at the Derbyshire Record Office. Please note that a prior appointment is necessary to book a microfilm reader. My grateful thanks to Janet Kirk for this information.
In an 1889 Will, Marischal K. S. FRITH of Bermuda and Vicar of Allestree mentions:
- wife Margaret Ann
- daughter Gertrude
- daughter Ann
- sister Elizabeth JENKINS
- son Frederick
That same year, W. Churchill FRITH, mentions a partnership in Middleton and Co. in New York,U.S.A.
The Portway Junior School is on Robincroft Road.
Lawn Primary School is on Norbury Close behind Park Farm.
Allestree Woodlands School is the local secondary school.
Malcolm NEAL has a photograph of The new Allestree Woodlands School on Geo-graph, taken in April, 2017.
The University of Derby has its main campus within the ward on Kedleston Road. It opened in 1960.
Oliver TOMLINSON has a photograph of the University of Derby on Geo-graph, taken in July 2004.