Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Abney
hide
Hide
hide
- Archives & Libraries
- Bibliography◬
- Cemeteries◬
- Census
- Church History◬
- Church Records
- Civil Registration
- Correctional Institutions◬
- Court Records◬
- Description & Travel
- Directories
- Emigration & Immigration◬
- Folklore◬
- Gazetteers
- Genealogy
- Historical Geography◬
- History
- Inventories, Registers, Catalogues◬
- Land & Property◬
Hide
hide


















Hide
Hide
From John Marius WILSON's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales, 1870-72:
"ABNEY, a hamlet in Hope parish, Derby; on a tributary of the river Derwent, 4 miles NE of Tideswell."
Hide
The Library at Chapel-en-le-Frith is an excellent resource with a Local History section and a Family History section.
- The parish was in the Tideswell sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
- The table below gives census piece numbers, where known:
Census Year | Piece No. |
---|---|
1841 | H.O. 107 / 1864 |
1851 | H.O. 107 / 2150 |
1861 | R.G. 9 / 2544 |
1891 | R.G. 12 / 2777 |
- The webpage author could find no mention of an Anglican church in this place.
- Most Anglican parishioners would have been baptised or married in either Bradwell or Hope parish.
- The church would have been in the rural deanery of Eyam.
- The Wesleyan Methodists had a small chapel here in 1857.
- Civil Registration began in July, 1837. But Abney did not become a Civil Parish until late in 1866.
- The parish was in the Tideswell sub-district of the Bakewell Registration District.
"ABNEY and ABNEY GRANGE, a joint township, consisting of these two small hamlets in the parish of Hope, and hundred of High Peak, in the county of Derby, 4 miles N.E. of Tideswell. At the time of Domesday Survey this manor belonged to William Peveril, or Peveril of the Peak."
[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin HINSON ©2003]
Abney had been a township in Hope parish and was transferred to the new Bradwell parish when that was formed in 1875. There is only one street in Abney. The closest church, pub and shops are to be found in Eyam.
Neil THEASBY has a photograph of Abney village on Geo-graph, taken in August, 2012.
- Ann ANDREWS provides a transcription of the Abney and Abney Grange entry under Bradwell from Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland (1891).
- Rosemary LOCKIE provides a transcription of the Abney with Highlow entry from White's Gazetteer and General Directory of Sheffield & Twenty Miles round, 1852.
- The transcription of the section for Abney and Abney Grange from the National Gazetteer (1868) provided by Colin HINSON.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Abney to another place.
William NEWTON was born here in November 1750. He was a labouring class poet often referred to as "the Peak Minstrel". He died in Tideswell on 3 November 1830. His wife's name was Helen COO.
- There's a bit of pre-history at Smelting Hill Circle.
- By 1857 the mines had been closed for a number of years and the hamlets were in decline.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SK196795 (Lat/Lon: 53.312347, -1.707577), Abney which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.
The War Memorial in this parish is inside the Village Hall. The village hall is near the centre of the village. The memorial is inside on the east wall. It was surveyed in 2015 and it was in good condition.
There are two names on the War Memorial plaque (both from WW I):
- Reginald EYDES, gunner, RFA, age 20, died 13 Oct 1917, son of Thomas and Martha Hester EYDES.
- William EYRE
Wikipedia tells us that Abney is Old English in origin, derived from Abba's Island. It was listed as Habenai in the 1086 Domesday Book.
- This place was an ancient hamlet in Hope parish in Derbyshire and became a modern Civil Parish in December, 1866.
- This parish was in the ancient High Peak Hundred (or Wapentake).
- The citizens of this parish have elected to forgo a formal parish council and instead have decided to have periodic Parish Meetings to discuss civil and political issues.
- District governance is provided by the High Peak Borough Council.
- Bastardy cases would be heard in the Chapel-en-le-Frith petty session hearings once each month.
- As a result of the Poorlaw Amendment Act reforms of 1834, this parish became a member of the Bakewell Poorlaw Union.