Hide

--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---

Hide

St Mary, Astbury, Church of England

hide
Hide
Hide

St Mary,
Dodds Lane,
Astbury

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The church has/had a graveyard.

topup

Churches

^Click the arrow on the line above to find links to search for web sites of current churches when one is not listed here, or within the address. Some churches keep closing so if it has had to close then please let us know.
topup

Church History

It was founded in 1572.

Peel Lane

Church History

An ancient parish church, originally serving Buglawton, Congleton, Davenport, Eaton, Hulme Walfield, Moreton cum Alcumlow, Newbold Astbury, Odd Rode, Radnor, Smallwood, Somerford and Somerford Booths.

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1841 — reduced when the township of Buglawton and part of the township of Eaton were transferred to Buglawton: St. John the Evangelist.
  • 1844 July 10 — reduced when part of the township of Congleton was transferred to Congleton: St. James.
  • 1845 August 1 — reduced when part of the township of Congleton was transferred to Congleton: St. Stephen.
  • 1846 — reduced when part of the township of Congleton was transferred to Mossley: Holy Trinity.
  • 1846 — reduced when the township of Smallwood was transferred to Smallwood: St. John the Baptist.
  • 1858 August 2 — reduced when the remaining part of the township of Eaton was transferred to Eaton: Christ Church.
  • 1860 October 30 — reduced when the township of Odd Rode was transferred to Odd Rode: All Saints.
  • 1867 May 21 — reduced when the remaining part of the township of Congleton was transferred to Congleton: St. Peter.
  • 1878 September 27 — reduced when the townships of Hulme Walfield, Radnor, and Somerford Booths, were transferred to Hulme Walfield: St. Michael.
  • 1880 June 4 — reduced when the township of Davenport was transferred to Swettenham: St. Peter.

The parish also includes the private chapel of Somerford: All Saints.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original RegistersC from 1572 ; M from 1572 ; B from 1573 — Church
Microfilm CopiesC 1572-1953 ; M 1572-1969 ; B 1572-1970 — Cheshire Archives ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Congleton Library
Bishop's Transcripts1593, 1596, 1600, 1604, 1607-09, 1611-15, 1617-23, 1626-27, 1629-31, 1633, 1635-37, 1639, 1657-59, 1661-62, 1664-76, 1679-80, 1682-85, 1693-97, 1702-1898 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives
1889-1898 (microfilmed) — Family History Society of Cheshire
Copies and IndexesCMB 1572-1641 (transcript, 3 vols.) — Cheshire Archives ; Congleton Library
C 1750-1815 (microfilmed transcript) — Society of Genealogists' Library
M 1703-1755, 1800-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1754-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1837-1993 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1007)
Monumental InscriptionsPublished by the Family History Society of Cheshire (Congleton Group), 1990
topup

Maps

It is located at SJ8461961525 (Lat/Lon 53.15064, -2.231437). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide
200 m
500 ft