Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Tingewick
hide
Hide
hide
Hide
hide














Hide
Hide
"This parish covers nearly 2178 acres, of which 1215 are pasture, 530 arable, and 181 woods and plantations. The soil is principally gravelly loam with the subsoil various. The general level of the land is well over 300 ft. above the ordnance datum, and reaches 392 ft. on the borders of Oxfordshire. The land falls towards the north and east, where it is liable to floods from the River Ouse and its tributaries. The village lies along the road from Buckingham to Deddington (Oxon.) and is of a fair size, the irregularly built houses standing on both sides of the High Street. several of the houses in the village are of the 17th century, and have thatched roofs..." [© copyright of the editors of The Victoria Histories of the Counties of England]
Hide
The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
"Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: Buckingham Hundred, Volume 7", Peter Quick.
The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:
- Monumental Inscriptions for St Mary Magdalen church are in the library* of the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- War memorials in Tingewick have been transcribed by Peter Quick and published by the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 133 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Tingewick.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 642 inhabitants in 139 families living in 133 houses recorded in Tingewick.
Census Year | Population of Tingewick |
1801* | 642 |
1811* | 711 |
1821* | 832 |
1831* | 866 |
1841 | 911 |
1851 | 877 |
1861 | 914 |
1871 | 945 |
1881 | 787 |
1891 | 714 |
1901 | 635 |
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- Transcriptions of the census for the years 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 and 1901 are freely available on the People of Tingewick, Buckinghamshire web site
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- 1881
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):
The original copies of the parish registers for St Mary Magdalen, Tingewick have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
Event | Dates covered |
Christenings | 1560 - 1910 |
Marriages | 1560 - 1995 |
Burials | 1560 - 1893 |
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:
Event | Society Library* Dates covered | Society |
Christenings | 1813 - 1841 | Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society |
Marriages | 1754 - 1802 | Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society |
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Tingewick showed the following numbers:
Church | Attendance |
Tingewick, St Mary Magdale | 150 - Morning General Congregation 130 - Morning Sunday Scholars 280 - Morning Total 190 - Afternoon General Congregation |
Tingewick, Wesleyan Methodist Chapel | 40 - Afternoon General Congregation 80 - Evening General Congregation |
- Buckinghamshire Church Photos by Kevin Quick.
- Buckinghamshire Village Photos by Kevin Quick.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Tingewick to another place.
Tingewick was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
TINGEWICK, in the hundred and deanery of Buckingham, lies two miles and a half west of Buckingham, on the road to Banbury. It had formerly a weekly market on Tuesdays, granted in 1246, to the abbey De Monte Rothomago, in Normandy, to which monastery the manor had been given by the family of Finmore, in 1210: it was purchased of the abbey, by William of Wickham, and by him made part of the endowment of New College, in Oxford.
In the parish church is a curious brass plate against the east wall of the chancel, with a half-length portrait of Erasmus Williams, rector of Tingewick, who died in 1608, neatly engraved. He is represented with uplifted hands, in the attitude of prayer, and habited in a gown. On each side of him is a pillar, on which hang astronomical, musical, and geometrical instruments, painting utensils, various books, &c. On the top of one of the pillars is a globe, on the other an owl. There are various other devices, as a sun and rainbow, &c. and several texts of scripture. Underneath is the following epitaph :
"This doth Erasmus Williams represent,
"Whom living all did love, dead all lament;
"His humane Arts behind his back attend,
"Whereon spare hours he wisely chose to spend;
"And from Corinthian columns deck'd with arts,
"Now to the Temple's pillar he converts,
"Under the rainbow arch of promise, where
"Of hoped bliss no deluge he need fear:
"He of this church did a firm pillar live,
"To whom dead his wife doth these pillars give.
"Continued by his scholar and his friend,
"Who wsth'd their love and lives had had one end,
"Erasmus More's Encomium set forth,
"We want a More to praise Erasmus' worth."At the corner is the name of R. Haydocke, who, if he wrote the epitaph, was a much better artist than poet. That he was the artist there can be little doubt, and that it was Dr. Richard Haydocke, the physician, who was a contemporary of Mr. Williams: he translated Lomatius on painting and engraving, and engraved his own portrait and other plates for that work.
The warden and scholars of New College are patrons of the rectory, to which a manor is annexed. The advowson belonged formerly to the priory of Harmondsworth, in Middlesex. The parish has been inclosed by an act of parliament, passed in 1773, when an allotment of land was assigned to the rector in lieu of tithes, and a small allotment to the poor in lieu of their right to cut furze.
Francis Edmonds, the late rector, who died in 1759, founded a charity school for six boys and six girls, and left an endowment for instructing and clothing them.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SP657328 (Lat/Lon: 51.989776, -1.044625), Tingewick which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.