Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Fingest
hide
Hide
(including Cadmore End)
Hide
hide
Hide
hide














Hide
Hide
"Fingest contains about 1300 acres, of which 250 were woodland (almost daily diminishing), 900 acres of pasture and arable; and comprising Cadmer's, Boulter's, and Wheeler's Endships. It is bounded, on the North, by Ipstone and the County of Oxford; on the East, by West Wycombe and Great Marlow; and on the South and West by Hambleden." [The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham, by George Lipscomb, 1847]
Hide
The following reference sources have been used in the construction of this page, and may be referred to for further detail. Most if not all of these volumes are available in the Reference section of the County Library in Aylesbury.
- "Buckinghamshire Returns of the Census of Religious Worship 1851", Legg E. ed., 1991, ISBN 0 901198 27 7.
"Magna Britannia: Buckinghamshire", Lysons S. and Lysons D., 1806.
"The History and Antiquities of the County of Buckingham", Lipscomb G., 1847
"The Place-Names of Buckinghamshire", Mawer A. and Stenton F.M., 1925.
"The Victoria History of the Counties of England: Buckinghamshire", Page W. ed., 1905-1928
"War Memorials and War Graves: High Wycombe and area, Volume 11", Peter Quick.
The following Monumental Inscriptions are available as publications or as part of a Society library:
- Monumental Inscriptions for St Bartholomew, Fingest are in the library* of the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society
- Monumental Inscriptions for St Mary-the-Moor, Cadmore End are in the library* of the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- War memorials in Fingest have been transcribed by Peter Quick and published by the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
In 1798 the Posse Comitatus listed 65 men between the ages of 16 and 60 in Fingest.
In the earliest government census of 1801, there were 316 inhabitants in 82 families living in 57 houses recorded in Fingest.
Census Year | Population of Fingest |
1801* | 316 |
1811* | 303 |
1821* | 295 |
1831* | 340 |
1841 | 379 |
1851 | 387 |
1861 | 352 |
1871 | 337 |
1881 | 333 |
1891 | 364 |
1901 | 367 |
* = No names were recorded in census documents from 1801 to 1831.
** = Census documents from 1911 to 2001 are only available in summary form. Names are witheld under the 100 year rule.
Microfilm copies of all census enumerators' notebooks for 1841 to 1891 are held at the Local Studies Libraries at Aylesbury and Milton Keynes, as well as centrally at the PRO. A table of 19th century census headcount by parish is printed in the VCH of Bucks, Vol.2, pp 96-101.
Availability of census transcripts and indexes.
- 1851 - Full transcripts and indexes for Buckinghamshire are available on CD-ROM, hard copy and microfiche from the Buckinghamshire Family History Society.
- 1861 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
- 1881
- Available on CD-ROM from the Church of the Latter Day Saints, as part of the National 1881 Census Index.
- Available on CD-ROM for Buckinghamshire, with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from Drake Software.
- 1891 - Available on CD-ROM with advanced search and mapping capabilities etc. from the Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society.
St. Bartholomew, Fingest
Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):
St Mary-the-Moor, Cadmore End
Details of the stained glass in the church can be found on the following web sites (the site includes many photos):
The original copies of the parish registers for St. Bartholomew, Fingest have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
Event | Dates covered |
Christenings | 1608 - 1812 |
Marriages | 1607 - 1836 |
Burials | 1608 - 1812 |
The original copies of the parish registers for St. Mary-le-Moor, Cadmore End have been deposited in the Buckinghamshire Record Office in Aylesbury, and they hold the following years:
Event | Dates covered |
Christenings | 1786 - 1912 |
Marriages | 1852 - 1971 |
Burials | 1852 - 1972 |
Copies or indexes to the parish registers are available from societies as follows:
Event | Society Library* Dates covered | Society |
Christenings - Fingest | 1607 - 1841 | Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society |
Marriages - Fingest | 1607 - 1836 | Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society |
Burials - Fingest | 1607 - 1841 | Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society |
Christenings - Cadmore End | 1786 - 1851 | Buckinghamshire Genealogical Society |
* = material held in a Society library is generally available for loan to all members either via post, or by collection at a meeting
An ecclesiastical census was carried out throughout England on 30 March 1851 to record the attendance at all places of worship. These returns are in the Buckinghamshire Record Office and have been published by the Buckinghamshire Record Society (vol 27). The returns for Fingest showed the following numbers:
Church | Attendance |
Fingest, St. Bartholomew | 56 - Afternoon General Congregation 20 - Afternoon Sunday Scholars 76 - Afternoon Total |
- Buckinghamshire Church Photos by Kevin Quick.
- Buckinghamshire Village Photos by Kevin Quick.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Fingest to another place.
Fingest was described in 1806 in "Magna Britannia" as follows:
FINGEST, in the hundred of Desborough and deanery of Wycombe, was anciently called Tynhurst or Tinghurst: it lies about seven miles west of High-Wycombe, and about the same distance north-west of Marlow. The manor belonged anciently to the abbey of St. Alban's: by an agreement which took place in 1163, it was given up to the bishops of Lincoln, who made use of the manor-house as their occasional residence: in 1547, bishop Holbeach surrendered it, with other manors, to the crown. In 1549 it was granted to the Duke of Somerset, who, two years afterwards, exchanged it, with the church of Wells, for an estate which had belonged to the prebend of Dulting-Court, in that cathedral, since which time this manor has been held on lease under the prebendary, who is patron of the rectory. The lease, which appears to have been many years in the family of Ferrers, [footnote: Thomas Ferrers, who died in 1646, is called on his tomb, lord of the manor. The same family appointed game-keepers for the manor so lately as 1737.] and afterwards in that of Dorrell, is now vested in Owen Williams esq. M.P. of Temple-House, in the parish of Bisham.
The tower of the parish church is square and massy, with plain circular windows; the other parts of the structure are of later date.
The manor, or manor-farm of Cadmore-end, belonged to the Tippings, and is now the property of the Rev. Philip Wroughton, of Woolley Park, in Berkshire, in right of his wife Mary Anne, niece and heiress of the late Bartholomew Tipping esq.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SU777911 (Lat/Lon: 51.613377, -0.879235), Fingest which are provided by:
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- All places within the same township/parish shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby townships/parishes shown on an Openstreetmap map.
- Nearby places shown on an Openstreetmap map.