Hide
--- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM --- TEST SYSTEM ---
Hide
Capel Dewi, Capel Dewi, Llandysul (Church in Wales)
hide
Hide
Hide
Capel Dewi
Capel Dewi
Llandysul
Hide
- This chapel is shown next to the farm Gwar-coed-isaf on the NLS 1900 map as Capel Dewi (site of) and there are other references to it on the internet
- One of six chapels of ease to Llandysul Parish Church
- See also p49 of "The Search for San Ffraid " A thesis submitted to the University of Wales Trinity Saint David by Jeanne Mehan
- This extract from The History of the Parish of Llandyssul by Rev. W J Davies 1896, p 18, is from a chapter styled "Chapels under the Mother Church" ;
"Capel Dewi. This chapel stood on Gwarcoed Isaf land, and was dedicated to St David. There was also a graveyard here, and the last to be buried here was the brother of Benjamin Jones, Penbanc. I have two testimonies to prove this. (1) Daniel Jones of Gwarcoed Uchaf told his son, John (now at Moelhedog) that Benjamin's brother was the last to be buried in the graveyard, and there was little difference in their ages. of the two Benjamin was the younger. As Benjamin Jones died June 22nd 1863 at 79 years of age, and there was 4 years between them, the brother was buried around 1780. (2) Hannah Thomas, once of Cwm, but now of Cestyll, near Maesycrugiau, testified that it was her father's brother, Benjamin Jones that was the last to be buried at Capel Dewi. The old lady remembers gravestones there, and also skulls. David Jones, Dolfor, turned the graveyard into a ploughed field, and found some money there. He moved the pieces of gravestones out of there.
A fair was held every March in the field near the graveyard, but it was moved to Llanarth because 'the beer made with with water from Ffynon Dewi, was intoxicating'. The belief was that the water from the spring 'washed' through the graveyard and was therefore impure. There was a day school here for some time , and the late Evan Jones, Aberionon, attended the school when a boy"
- The original name of the village of Capel Dewi until WWII was Cilrhiwiau, (https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Rock_Woollen_Mill,_Capel_Dewi,_Landyssul_-_geograph.org.uk_-_612709.jpg)
- OpenStreetMap
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- OpenStreetMap Cymru (Welsh counties only)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)